Former Gopher great Laurence Maroney: 'I wish I got to play' for Jerry Kill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Former University of Minnesota star running back Laurence Maroney said he almost cried when he saw David Cobb break the program's 1,000-yard rusher drought two years ago.

Maroney, who spoke to the media before Saturday's game against Ohio, noticed how far "Running Back U" fell from the glory days before Cobb was the first to run for 1,000 yards in six years.

"I was really proud of him because after me and Marion left, the running back spot it did good, but it wasn't the same," Maroney said. "And just to see him come back and really breathe life into the position, it brought tears to my eyes, like, oh, we're getting the running game back."

Last year, Minnesota coach Jerry Kill and Maroney spent time together at the Big Ten Media Day Luncheon in Chicago and another event in New York.

"I like Kill," he said. "I wish I got to play for him. But I had the great Mason. That was my guy. We did a lot of things here. Kill's a great coach. I like the changes he's doing to the program. I salute coach Kill and hope nothing but the best for him."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_28882616/former-gopher-great-laurence-maroney-i-wish-i

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom