For those that forget how rocking The Barn can be, enjoy…

It's kind of crazy in hindsight that just six games later (one of those games being a tourney win), Tubby was fired.

Was this the Indiana game where Rodney Williams blocked Olidipo's jump shot from the corner? That may have been the most impressive block i have ever seen.

Tubby just needed an assistant coach to teach the guys how to do an inbounds play...it was his demise
There was a guy at Nebraska pretty good at out of bounds plays. Can we go back in time and let Tubby stay if he fires Saul and hires that guy?

Good gravy. Now you've made me even more depressed, Bleed. Sigh...

To the OP, and this may sound like hyperbole, but I think you could count the number of fast breaks like that on one hand over the course of the last 2 years. There is absolutely no excitement or entertainment value to the way they play. It'd be slightly less depressing if they were actually fun to watch. But they are just slow and plodding and like watching paint dry. It's like Wisconsin basketball but without the winning (at least up until this year).

Kind of funny that we fired Tubby the same year we also achieved our best season this century.

Kind of funny that we fired Tubby the same year we also achieved our best season this century.
Villa 7 were the smartest guys in the room, remember how they were sitting in on practices? Remember how they turned firing Tubby (which I agreed with) into a desperation heave via Billy Donovan by hiring Richard Pitino? Oh the law of unintended consequences and Minnesota sports.

What little are left in the barn will try to raise the roof occasionally when we're on a slight run, but within 30 seconds, we f--k that up royally every single time.

So depressing.

Tubby's last 2 recruiting classes were a grand total of Charles Buggs, Wally Ellenson, Alvis English, & Alex Foster. The worst recruiting in our history.

If Christie gets bribed away next, we might equal that. Scouring the local community colleges like Tubby did. I wouldn't be surprised.

Pitino inherited a team with no freshmen or sophomores on it...it was no surprise that his 3rd season was absolutely terrible.

I was watching the Kansas - West Virginia game. I saw a guard dribbling, driving and moving forward and thought "Holy shit, that guy's fast", then he passed to someone that made a move to the basket and thought "Holy shit, that guy's fast", then he passed to another guy that made a move to the basket and thought "Holy shit, that guy's fast", then thought about how fast and the amount of moves to the basket the Gophers are/do....................

And the successful passes was incerdible. They had more than one.

Tubby's last 2 recruiting classes were a grand total of Charles Buggs, Wally Ellenson, Alvis English, & Alex Foster. The worst recruiting in our history.

If Christie gets bribed away next, we might equal that. Scouring the local community colleges like Tubby did. I wouldn't be surprised.

Pitino inherited a team with no freshmen or sophomores on it...it was no surprise that his 3rd season was absolutely terrible.
It's still hard to comprehend the swift demise in Smith's recruiting.

Joseph
Sampson
Bostick
Iverson
Carter

Mbakwe
Williams
Cobbs
White

Anhamesi
Osenicks
Walker
Andre Hollins
Eliason
Armelin

Austin Hollins
Coleman
Ingram
Welch

Buggs
Ellenson

How was it better than 11-7 in 16-17? or making the second round in 18-19?

16-17? Eh. 3 ranked wins. Embarrassed by a mid major in the tournament. Forgettable season. Congrats on 4th place ribbon I guess in a lousy year for the B1G.

18-19? Closer. 12-13 had better highs. More ranked wins (6. 5 top 20). Knocking off number 1. Blew out #24 in the tournament. Played half the season with a ranking ourselves. I'll take 12-13 every time. Barn hasn't been the same since.

Last edited:

Ellis, not English, right?

It's still hard to comprehend the swift demise in Smith's recruiting.

Joseph
Sampson
Bostick
Iverson
Carter

Mbakwe
Williams
Cobbs
White

Anhamesi
Osenicks
Walker
Andre Hollins
Eliason
Armelin

Austin Hollins
Coleman
Ingram
Welch

Buggs
Ellenson
Recruiting spiraled downward and we had many transfers out after the Royce White fiasco.

I expect the Dennis Evans fiasco to have a similar effect.

Top Bottom