For Gophers to ‘soar to new heights,’ P.J. Fleck needs to improve on fourth down

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Last season, Minnesota went for it on fourth down 14 times, which was tied for 119th in the nation. They were successful eight times (106th) for a conversion rate of 57 percent (50th).

That amount of conversions and attempts were the lowest totals among Fleck’s five seasons at Minnesota.

By comparison in 2019, Minnesota went 13 for 20 on fourth-down conversion attempts, and that 65 percent conversion rate ranked 19th in the county.

Go Gophers!!

The BGSU incident probably didn't help things. It was the right decision but it was a notable moment in that game.

I'd put "improve from 57% to 65% on 4th down" somewhere around 56th on my "things needed to soar to new heights" list.

Right below "shake hands with Kill" and right above "stop for milk and iceberg lettuce on drive home from practice Friday."

I'll take a reliable, soothing, relaxing field goal kicker and booming, soaring cloud-kissing punts on fourth down, because special teams are the only thing I'm worried about with this team.

119th in fourth down attempts.
You think he would have learned after punting from Wisconsin’s 37 yard line, but apparently he didn’t.

I'll take a reliable, soothing, relaxing field goal kicker and booming, soaring cloud-kissing punts on fourth down, because special teams are the only thing I'm worried about with this team.
Soothing kicker?

when the Vikings put together their new staff, they had an assistant who was given the title of "game management coordinator." during games, this guy helps the head coach with decisions including when to use time outs, going for it on 4th down, etc.

I wonder who - if any - on the Gophers' staff helps Fleck out with those decisions. the issue with calling time-outs has been beat to death.

it would be interesting to really know how the thought process works on the sidelines for those type of situations - who has input and how the decisions are made.

Going from the Green Line wildcat package to a Cole Kramer wildcat certainly plays into the decline.

Top Bottom