FootballScoop: Bellotti and Sumlin are serious candidates at Colorado

Any truth to the rumor that the new coach will be paid in Monopoly money?

Both coaches make more sense at Colorado than Minnesota. Bellotti isn't a MW guy and Sumlin's name is already tainted due to his association with the Wacker days.

Sumlin is not tainted by his year with Wacker. I doubt even the media care about that.

If Colorado gets Bellotti instead of us I am going to be livid.

Bellotti is my number one choice, but without knowing much about him or even Colorado, it seems on the surface that Colorado would be a better fit. A conference he knows, closer to his recruiting base, to name two reasons.

But Sumlin's stint on Wacker's staff won't hurt him at all. He has become his own guy in the past 15 years.

If Colorado gets Bellotti instead of us I am going to be livid.

I think Bellotti to Colorado is a real possible option.

He may not make as much if he were to come to Minnesota though.

I continue to hear that football scoop will print a rumor stated by any fan as fact.

Sumlin hasn't been tainted at all by his three years as a wide receiver coach with Wacker almost 15 years ago.

It's more telling what Sumlin has done since then: Glen Mason thought he was good enough to retain on staff when Wacker was fired. Then Sumlin went to Purdue and Texas A&M and eventually developed one of the best offenses in the country in Oklahoma. In 2009, he was a finalist for the 2009 Bear Bryant award at Houston.

I'd say he has demonstrated that he has some serious coaching talent and also carried the added benefit of working in the Big Ten and with the University of Minnesota.

I don't know how someone could be mad that Bellotti would go to Colorado over Minnesota. Going to Boulder makes a lot more sense than Minneapolis for Belloti. The man is from California and spent more than 20 years coaching in the Pac-10. Being connected to that conference again has to be a huge draw for him.

For some reason I think Phil Knight would work pretty hard to see Bellotti not have terrible success at Colorado should he take a job there.

And when he brings his high scoring offense and sieve defense to Minnesota, you think the comparison to Wacker won't be brought up? Plus Kevin Wilson was the OC calling the plays at Oklahoma while Sumlin was like the passing game version of Coach Davis for Minnesota this year.

Why doesn't anyone talk about defense with Sumlin? That is my concern.

The trick with Sumlin is to hire the right Def. Coordinator and let him do his job.

And when he brings his high scoring offense and sieve defense to Minnesota, you think the comparison to Wacker won't be brought up? Plus Kevin Wilson was the OC calling the plays at Oklahoma while Sumlin was like the passing game version of Coach Davis for Minnesota this year.

Are you 100% sure on this? I only ask because I keep hearing it and I remember asking a good friend of mine (Sooner fan), who was calling the plays and he said that it was often Sumlin. You could probably be right.

However, he did call plays at Houston and at Texas A & M and both of those offenses were also explosive.

I really don't see what the Wacker connection really has to do with anything. I doubt Tony Dungy's year coaching for Joe Salem really hurt his career. My point is that if you dig back far enough on almost all coaching candidates, you will probably find that they coached with/for a coach without the best winning percentage.

As far as Bellotti, I think it makes sense for him to be more interested in Colorado. Boulder is relatively similar to Eugene, further west, etc. However, this would mean that he would be willing to coach against Oregon.

The same would apply here, when we're playing Oregon in the 2015 Rose Bowl.

I think you are jumping the gun a little bit. I don't like Oregon's current 2011 recruits, so they won't have a strong 5th year SR class. Plus, who beats us in 2015 to keep us out of the NC game?

I think you are jumping the gun a little bit. I don't like Oregon's current 2011 recruits, so they won't have a strong 5th year SR class. Plus, who beats us in 2015 to keep us out of the NC game?

Indiana

Are you 100% sure on this? I only ask because I keep hearing it and I remember asking a good friend of mine (Sooner fan), who was calling the plays and he said that it was often Sumlin. You could probably be right.

Wilson was definitely the architect of the Oklahoma offense.

However, he did call plays at Houston and at Texas A & M and both of those offenses were also explosive.

He didn't call plays at Houston either. His only play calling experience came after R.C. Slocum fired his OC three games into the 2002 season and elevated Sumlin. Slocum, of course, was then fired after the season.

Top Bottom