Flyover?

GoGophers2005

Reaction score
No offense, but I think I experienced the worst timed flyover in the history of the world. Congrats to the guys that actually did it, but half the stadium didnt realize it because A.....they were still stuck in line to get in the stadium......or B it wasn't during the National Anthem.

I want a replay next weekend!

Not saying it was terrible, but I wasnt expecting it to happen when it did. I luckily looked to my right and saw them flying so I taped my dad to show him or else he wouldnt have seen it.

Like you said half didnt see it, kinda like friends a row up saying "whens the fly over happening?" Us- "ahhh 7 minutes ago." Haha

We were in the stadium when it happened

and neither us nor anyone around us had any clue that it happened. Rather disappointing.

Email

I think season ticket holders got an email with the exact timing of the evening...including the flyover...

I think it was right on schedule.

That offered...a whole bunch of Gophers were visiting the stadium the first time and it is not the Dome, at least access-wise.

We're going to have to learn how to deal with it.

BTW, have you ever seen so much Maroon and Gold in one place? It was great!

Go Gophers! Beat Cal!

Flyover happened when the Gophers took the field

I thought that was really poor timing. I kept watching for the jets, then I looked down to see the players take the field. By the time I looked back up, the jets were half way across the stadium.

Strange! Separate those two events by 30 seconds so we can enjoy both.

MOUMUJEEPDZIZIL.20090913012328.jpg

The "red hat," the official Big Ten timekeeper, accidentally stopped the game clock for about two minutes during our Pregame show. He bumped the button with his elbow. As a result we lost our time-sync with the Air Force. (The stadium crew tried to recalculate and resync, but didn't get it right.)

Based on the (incorrect) game clock, they asked the band to fill, so we increased the length of one of our 10-second breaks and also inserted Mortal Kombat. The team wasn't yet in the tunnel. The team came out of the locker room late (on-time based on what the game clock showed, but late real-time).

So, instead of the flyover occurring at the end of the National Anthem, it happened as the team was taking the field and we were playing the Rouser.

(We have three spots in pregame that are scheduled 10 second breaks for the band. A chance for them to catch their breath, but also a chance for us to adjust our timing by shortening or lengthening the break so we can land in our final set within 5 seconds of when we want. If the tempo is just a little quick on one tune, we will take a longer break, if it's a bit slow, a shorter one.)

Timing of the National Anthem is critical for the TV networks. By federal law, you cannot cut away and go to commercial or back to the studio during the anthem. If you show any part of it you have to stay there until the end. So, networks usually prefer to go to commercial or to studio before the anthem begins. On site network producers get really nervous about it. It's pretty funny for us when they come up to us in a panic before the game wanting to know what time we'll be playing the anthem. We ask them what time they will break away, translate that to game clock, bump our pregame show up or back by 30 seconds or expand or contract the 10 second breaks so we land the drumroll and announcement script exactly when they want it.

I saw it coming and i thought the timing, wrong or right, worked just fine for me!!! I had no problem with it! :)

The "red hat," the official Big Ten timekeeper, accidentally stopped the game clock for about two minutes during our Pregame show. He bumped the button with his elbow. As a result we lost our time-sync with the Air Force. (The stadium crew tried to recalculate and resync, but didn't get it right.)

Based on the (incorrect) game clock, they asked the band to fill, so we increased the length of one of our 10-second breaks and also inserted Mortal Kombat. The team wasn't yet in the tunnel. The team came out of the locker room late (on-time based on what the game clock showed, but late real-time).

So, instead of the flyover occurring at the end of the National Anthem, it happened as the team was taking the field and we were playing the Rouser.

(We have three spots in pregame that are scheduled 10 second breaks for the band. A chance for them to catch their breath, but also a chance for us to adjust our timing by shortening or lengthening the break so we can land in our final set within 5 seconds of when we want. If the tempo is just a little quick on one tune, we will take a longer break, if it's a bit slow, a shorter one.)

Timing of the National Anthem is critical for the TV networks. By federal law, you cannot cut away and go to commercial or back to the studio during the anthem. If you show any part of it you have to stay there until the end. So, networks usually prefer to go to commercial or to studio before the anthem begins. On site network producers get really nervous about it. It's pretty funny for us when they come up to us in a panic before the game wanting to know what time we'll be playing the anthem. We ask them what time they will break away, translate that to game clock, bump our pregame show up or back by 30 seconds or expand or contract the 10 second breaks so we land the drumroll and announcement script exactly when they want it.

wow, that guy really needs to get punched in the teeth then. what an idiot. is he a great, big fat person too?! ;)

seriously, though it is annoying to know that lame move by him is the reason for the fly-over being a bit out-of-sync with what was happening on the field.

damn, that sucks, i never even noticed them

Me too. I was looking forward to it and totally missed it. One guy in my row saw it and I thought he was joking. Great explanantion from the band guy btw - thanks!

Is that why they started the National Anthem without even announcing it or telling us to remove our caps? The planes flew over, the team came out, and the anthem started ASAP and the closed captioning was having a hard time catching up on the scoreboard. Who was even singing tonight? I never heard a name.

I thought the flyover was just fine...saw them coming from a ways away and tracked them across the stadium...

Anthem Singer

Is that why they started the National Anthem without even announcing it or telling us to remove our caps? The planes flew over, the team came out, and the anthem started ASAP and the closed captioning was having a hard time catching up on the scoreboard. Who was even singing tonight? I never heard a name.

John De Haan, Voice Prof at the U.

+1

I was like what? Who is that? No announcement. I vote to have U student sign it at every home game!

What an awesome night and a great win!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aA5LR-jymTI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aA5LR-jymTI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yes, it is. They also didn't announce Air Force until after the anthem.

The singer was John de Haan, he's a professor in the school of music. He sang once last year (and maybe the year before, too)

Thanks for the details - nice to hear some "inside info" !

Thanks umnhky.... that explains alot as I thought the trasition from gophers entering the field to the end of the anthem was a little weird.

We gotta get that band mic'd at TCF... I am sitting in the open part of the horse show and tough to hear the band at times. We actually couldnt tell if the band was playing the anthem with the singer or not.

Come on. Do your homework! It was advertised for weeks to happen at 5:57 and it was right on schedule. After all this is the US Air Force, not some rookies. Go Gophers.

Come on. Do your homework! It was advertised for weeks to happen at 5:57 and it was right on schedule. After all this is the US Air Force, not some rookies. Go Gophers.

Right the AF didn't screw up, the pregame timing was off schedule.

Just giving a bump to my favorite pic of the season and a reason I am thankful for this past season, nice shot 13LinedGroundSquirrel

Top Bottom