Fleck Monday Press Conference 9/11

But he couldn’t beat Lewis or Cooper out in fall camp?

This isn’t a 4* mammoth Faalele situation.

I’m sure he’s going to be a great OL starter for multiple years here. But if he didn’t win the job in fall camp already, I have strong doubts he’ll be night and day better than either of our current starters.

Prefer he keep the redshirt, then.

Of course can always conjecture about one of those guys “not doing the right things …” we’ll never know for sure.

But he couldn’t beat Lewis or Cooper out in fall camp?

This isn’t a 4* mammoth Faalele situation.

I’m sure he’s going to be a great OL starter for multiple years here. But if he didn’t win the job in fall camp already, I have strong doubts he’ll be night and day better than either of our current starters.

Prefer he keep the redshirt, then.

Of course can always conjecture about one of those guys “not doing the right things …” we’ll never know for sure.
you do recall that Faalele didn't beat out someone in fall camp either and then came in during the Iowa game in 2018.

Literally addressed that.

Schlueter was getting punked by Anthony Nelson (who I believe sacked Kirk Cousins yesterday), and Faalele was literally the only guy in Gopher uniform who could physically handle him.

GJ is not that. He’s a solid 3* (composite) from a MN high school who I don’t believe had any other Big Ten offers.

There seemed to be a number of guys rotate in on Saturday. Shaw saw time, not sure if planned or if Boe was dinged up for a bit.

OL with 2 games:
Beers
Boe
Carroll
Cooper
Ersery
Lewis
Shaw

Jackson Hunter with one game. Might be an error as he was listed as playing in Nebraska game or he was on Special teams.

Rotating some guys to keep guy's fresh? Keep dinged injury's from becoming nagging one's.

Schlueter was getting punked by Anthony Nelson (who I believe sacked Kirk Cousins yesterday), and Faalele was literally the only guy in Gopher uniform who could physically handle him.

GJ is not that. He’s a solid 3* (composite) from a MN high school who I don’t believe had any other Big Ten offers.
Trying to figure out if you're anti GJ, Prior Lake, or if someone pissed in your cereal this morning. 99% of our OL for eternity have been 3*, so not sure why you wouldn't take the coach at his word. Last week Fleck said 1 spot was still in flux. I'm assuming after watching the film he still is not completely comfortable with the product. He will likely give Johnson some run soon and see if he sticks.

Think that’s a bit unfair to Greg Johnson. Shot up in the rankings post-committing, ending as a 4* by 247, and earning a wisconsin offer as well (who has a pretty good track record with linemen). Think it’s pretty fair to assume that if he hadn’t committed early, he would have had plenty of Big Ten offers. He’s also been consistently hyped up as being the most game-ready freshman linemen in a while ever since he enrolled this spring, so it’s not like this is out of nowhere. Don’t think it’s shocking that a true freshman lineman could have improved a lot with a few weeks of reps in the fall, and even if he didn’t win the job originally, things change quickly once games start.

Greg Johnson 4* from 247 .88 composite
Daniel Faalele 3* from 247 .90 composite

they are quite similiar rated recruits

We know that neither of our guards are top end B10 players get the young stud in there and see how it goes.

I also agree with PJ on Eastern Michigan those were some big strong dudes in their front 7 the type when you wake up on Sunday hating life because you are more stiff and sore than normal. Not quite B10 athletes but B10 strong—yes.

The high school ratings don’t really mean anything at this point.

Huh. GJ is Dan Faalele. Same exact guy. You learn things on the internet every day, things that ... well, no one else ever knew before.

Alright then. I'm excited to see it!

Actual quote by Fleck:

The offensive line was dominant, what did you think about the performances of Tyler cooper and Quinn Carroll?

Minnesota head coach PJ Fleck: "We had some guys up front that were elite playmakers and made the elite club this week for all the right reasons.

I thought we were able to impose our will at the line of scrimmage. With all due respect, I think we were able to dominate up front and they worked cohesively as a unit. It's not just one guy, but we're gonna play some more guys as we keep going forward.

Greg Johnson has earned the right to play and he's a true freshman. The last true freshman I think we played on the offensive line was Daniel Faalele. He's in the National Football League and Greg's gonna have a lot opportunities here coming up. Not just four games and redshirt him, but he's going to be part of that rotation.

We got some other guys too. JJ Guedet has done a good job in there, and Karter Shaw, so we can rotate those guys.

But we did what we had to do to win that particular football game, and it wasn't as clean as we wanted. We won by 19 points, and it wasn't our best football. But again, they're very transparent. They know it. And they know what we need to do as a football team up front.

But they were rotating eight guys up front on Eastern Michigan, and they were big. They were twitchy and they were strong. That's a really good defensive line in Mid-American Conference play. They're gonna be a good football team. They won nine games last year and they're well coached. And we were their Super Bowl and they got after it, so I was proud of the response we had.

Should've known that OP Tweet was some guy being disingenuous about what was actually said.

OK. He has "earned the right to play". That's great! So ... why hasn't he played so far? Neb? EMU? Hmm. Also says Guedet and Shaw too. Haven't seen them either.

You ever think Fleck just gets on one and says things, sometimes?

I've heard about "rotations" on the OL before. They almost never pan out. It's not the same thing as DL. You really need to stick with five guys and let them gel. Not a fan of swapping guys in and out every drive.

As I've already said, I have nothing bad to say about GJ. I won't be surprised if he's a multi-year starter here. Nothing against Prior Lake. Stop being silly.

Last edited:

Top Bottom