Fleck extension makes the Johnson hiring more logical in hindsight

I hope it works.

It's a gamble. But, as others pointed out, it's not like all the things we tried before resulted in championships here. Worth a shot.

Seems like Coyle has gone all in on Fleck and the football program. In hindsight, seems like Coyle decided to underpay/undervalue our basketball staff in order to compensate whatever Fleck was going to need to stay.

As someone who is fan of both the football team and the basketball team, I'm not necessarily against it. But it seems like the fate of our basketball program is in the hands of Fleck and the football program right now. If they win and start drawing large crowds on gameday and become a perennial Top 15 program over the next 3-4 years, then I think Coyle will be ready to spend on an elite basketball staff. Think Coyle had decided that building a strong football program will have a domino effect on the other sports.

Once Fleck elevates Minnesota into the Iowa/Wisconsin conversation for football (which could happen in the next two years at this rate), then Coyle makes his move for basketball.

Question is whether he has already identified his guy or is waiting for a wild card candidate to emerge.

I don't type all of this to disparage Ben Johnson. I just am not sure how anyone can interpret his hiring as anything else than a cost-saving measure.
Fleck only got a 300k raise?

It is as tho some one
I hope it works.

It's a gamble. But, as others pointed out, it's not like all the things we tried before resulted in championships here. Worth a shot.
i have not enjoyed Ben laughing on kfan interviews about Pitino’s MN recruiting failures. Leave that crap for us fans and media jerks.

Top Bottom