Fitzgerald, NU players on Minnesota; Fitz on his QBs; injuries

swingman

Reaction score
Fitz on Minnesota’s success: “They’re taking care of the football, that’s number one. Tanner is a tough, physical guy. He doesn’t do anything to put the offense or the team at jeopardy. They’ve had a solid rushing attack and they’ve got a few all Big Ten guys out at receiver. But it starts with Tanner.”

On his squad's injuries: “It’s hard to make changes when you don’t have anything next to go two.”

On the chance to play spoiler against Minnesota: “Our focus is on a playing our best game of the year. I don’t think we’ve done that. I don’t think we did it on Saturday.”

On how to fix the QB issues: “It starts with preparation. It’s pretty obvious that some of our guys did not do the things they needed to do to prepare for the season. The production, or lack thereof, is a testament to preparation. In the preseason, we sat here and everyone told me who my starting quarterback was and I told everyone there was a battle. Obviously, I ended up being right...But it comes down to me. The best person has to play, the most consistent person has to play, not the media-anointed one.”

“That is the number one room that I will get fixed. Period. End of discussion. (Fourth and fifth string guys) Jason and Andrew are chomping at the bit to get an opportunity. Aidan and Hunter have to prepare better. And they have to perform better. No one was ready to take on the starting role

On if he thinks TJ Green was ready: “Ya, I think so.”

On evaluating Hunter Johnson: “It’s not fair to completely assess him with the medical and personal issues he’s had this year.”

On what the QBs specifically have not done to prepare to be the starter: “I think it goes back to the offseason.”

Inside NU
@insidenu
Just a note as Fitz leaves the podium: the things he has said about the QBs as a position group over these past few weeks are harsher than anything I can remember him saying about any one position group at any point in my Northwestern fandom.

Inside NU
@insidenu
If that doesn't end up putting the QB coach and offensive coordinator (same guy!) on the hot seat, not sure what will.

Trae Williams on going up against talented Minnesota WRs: “Being a competitor you always want to see how you match up against the two good players that they are. They’re playing really good football right now and we’re looking forward to it.”

On the mindset of these 50-50 balls: : “When the ball goes up, you play it like you have a chance to get the ball two. Go up and go make a play. That’s what we’re gonna see this week and we are going to have to win more of those battles than we lose.If you’re not trusting yourself, you’re not doing what you’ve been taught by coaches. We just have to be there to make the play

On the legacy of this senior class: I think we’ve had a really great time. We’ve played on some really great teams. Obviously, winning the West last year. My true freshman season, going 10-2 and getting to the Outback Bowl. My first year of eligibility, fighting through a lot of adversity to get to the Pinstripe Bowl.”

Olineman Jared Thomas n how Minnesota has been so successful: “Confidence and swagger and momentum is a very real thing in this game. When a team gets a few back-to-back wins and is confident, things can really start to get going.”

Linebacker Paddy Fisher on stopping a tough Minnesota run attack: “This is the Big Ten, where it’s always about running the ball. Every team prides itself on running the ball. They run a lot of RPO and we have to be ready for that. It’s tough, trying to draw me in as a linebacker, that’s what [the play] is there for though.”

https://www.insidenu.com/2019/11/18...ress-conference-notes-injury-news-depth-chart

Top Bottom