Fisch

GMan

Section 238, Rows 19 and 20
Reaction score
Here is something that I have been wondering about since the first game of the year.

Has Jedd Fisch ever called the plays in a football game before?

Maybe in NCAA 2010? or 20009.

No before coming here he was an assistant to assistant in the majority of his stops.

play calling

The one play on the goal line in which they should have run overshadows all the other plays and maybe even leaves a bad taste for the whole game. Then Weber's inability to hit the easy passes that would keep drives going also skews things a bit. If you compare the play calling to what we had last year I think we have a big improvement in that area.

QB draws

I also think that letting Weber run a bit would open things up. He seems like he wants to take off and then a little voice in his head says "Wait ... I'm not supposed to run." Then he studder steps around and gets sacked or makes a bad pass. I think this is planned and if they let him take off and run it would put a lot more pressure on the defenses. Right now there is no team that is worried about Weber running.

Weber may have called that one

On that first and goal, it looked like he called an audible. He was screaming out something and tapped his left hip right before he took the snap and lofted it toward Decker.

The play of the game was the throw and "chop block" at the 1 yard line. Dumb call, should have ran straight ahead on first down. I think Fisch out thinks himself sometimes. You have to be able to run a yard if you want to win and apparently he thought we could not or he thought he would fake out the other team. Why I do not know? it's his first year as an OC and hopefully he is learning from his mistakes.

So far what Fisch had been calling hasn't been the problem it's the execution and getting penalties that push drives back also adjusts the gameplan.......

His Goal Line Playcalling is extremely questionable though.......

I completely disagree with the pass on the one yard line. You have to be able to run the ball in in that situation. If not, then you need to make adjustments on o-line. Hell clay could have made that touchdown without the tackles on the offensive line.

See above post

I think Weber might be to blame for that play.

Everyone agrees

I think everyone agrees that the 1st down on the one yard line was a terrible call. We won't know if Weber opted out unless they tell us. He got in some trouble with the coaching staff in one of the prior games for changing plays they thought he shouldn't have changed.

It still comes down to what someone already said and that is execution. I have no problem with the play calling. It was far superior to what Wisconsin ran. It wasn't like Wisconsin came up with a unique game plan. Run it up the middle , run it left tackle, run right tackle and once in a while throw it to the tight end. That was it. They executed ... we didn't.

I think everyone agrees that the 1st down on the one yard line was a terrible call. We won't know if Weber opted out unless they tell us.

One question:
Is Fisch trying to "pad" Deckers stats instead of doing what is best for the Team?
I love Decker to death, but imho Decker is an All American without forcing plays his way.
I think Eric D. even eluded to that in his post game interview.

What do ya all think?

Go Gophs...beat the Boilers!

I think everyone agrees that the 1st down on the one yard line was a terrible call. We won't know if Weber opted out unless they tell us.

One question:
Is Fisch trying to "pad" Deckers stats instead of doing what is best for the Team?
I love Decker to death, but imho Decker is an All American without forcing plays his way.
I think Eric D. even eluded to that in his post game interview.

What do ya all think?

Go Gophs...beat the Boilers!

No way... Decker is the only receiver that Weber can actually throw to consistently. I don't know if it is because Decker is the only receiver on the same page as Weber, or if he is just that much better at going up and getting Weber's mediocre passes than everyone else. Either way, this isn't Fisch's fault. This is on Weber.

On that first and goal, it looked like he called an audible. He was screaming out something and tapped his left hip right before he took the snap and lofted it toward Decker.

I agree with balds...just watched the replay...my guess = Weber changed that play; still should be made clear by Fisch though that no matter what, 1st-and-goal from the 1, we're running it.

I don't agree

I think everyone agrees that the 1st down on the one yard line was a terrible call. We won't know if Weber opted out unless they tell us. He got in some trouble with the coaching staff in one of the prior games for changing plays they thought he shouldn't have changed.

I didn't hear anyone complaining last week when the exact same play went for a touchdown.

A whole lot of strategic thinking here. You guys would have made the Maginot Line a success.

I agree with balds...just watched the replay...my guess = Weber changed that play; still should be made clear by Fisch though that no matter what, 1st-and-goal from the 1, we're running it.

I have no problem looking at Decker there, I will take him one on one with any corner in the Big Ten. It was unfortunate we went for that unnecessary "chop block". I think they mentioned this on TV, Tow-Arnett was not engaging that man but looking to get the next guy. Really, really big penalty.

I think people fail to realize that if there was no Chop Block, it would've been 2nd & Goal from the 1.......

The Playcall was not the problem.......

It was apparent to me at the end of the game we failed to execute any kind of a cohesive plan to get us into field goal position. It was a very difficult situation with no time outs. But I thought that Fisch's lack of experience showed as he had no method to gain control of that situation. I imagine he'll be making plently of phone calls and seeking plenty of advice on what to do the next time this happens. But we'll likely see again and again these things, but it's what it is.

+2

Fine with the playcall last week when it was executed correctly. Was it really a chop block? A turning point in the game.

According to an earlier interview, Weber discussed his terrific summer camp experience with the Manning's...Is it me or does he mimic some of Payton's mannerisms at the line, recognizing that no qb in football is as frantic as Payton?

Anyway, if he does fantasize a bit about being a mini-Payton, I hope JF sits down with him and gives him marching orders regarding game plan execution in the RZn. If he can't bring himself to execute a simple smash-mouth dive by Bennet or DE, get Gray in there to do the deed reliably.

Fisch is not forcing plays to Decker. Brewster has publicly stated that every week they do what NFL teams do, and they script a few plays for their playmakers. This is planned, not forced.

Now Weber does force it to Decker, this is true. Many, many times I've heard the announcers comment how Green was wide open and they wondered why Weber tried to throw to Decker anyway (usually you hear this after an incomplete pass). He doesn't see the field, doesn't look most of the time, and telegraphs everything.

What the big question is, is what's the reason for Carpenter and Gray not seeing more time? Way too much talent to not be used (and in terms of Gray, this means runs/trick plays).

One more thing: if we're to blame the OL for too much pressure, shouldn't we be playing a QB who scrambles and is known for his passes in stride rather than one of loafs in the pocket? Just a thought.

Top Bottom