First time beating a RANKED Iowa team at Kinnick since 1981

Always interesting when you get parallels like this.

That said, this is also probably going to end up being a case where we get credit for beating a ranked team even though at the of the year Iowa most likely will not still be in the top 25 unless they somehow manage to defense/special teams their way to wins in all 4 of their remaining games.

1981 was an interesting season. Lots of parity in the conference that year. You can see it by how 6 of our 9 conference games were decided by 1 possession and the top 5 teams were within 1 game of each other.

Since 1960 there have only been 4 times where every team has at least 2 conference losses: 1981, 1984, 1990, 2000

Always interesting when you get parallels like this.

That said, this is also probably going to end up being a case where we get credit for beating a ranked team even though at the of the year Iowa most likely will not still be in the top 25 unless they somehow manage to defense/special teams their way to wins in all 4 of their remaining games.
Yeah. They’re a top 40 team not a top 25 team.
I don’t think anyone in the west is top 25

Yeah. They’re a top 40 team not a top 25 team.
I don’t think anyone in the west is top 25

I wouldn't even put them in the top 40. It will count as a ranked win was but Iowa is not a good team. It's going to be a dogfight for them to avoid 6-6.

I wouldn't even put them in the top 40. It will count as a ranked win was but Iowa is not a good team. It's going to be a dogfight for them to avoid 6-6.
I'm confident your squad gets 8 wins pretty easily! IL and Purdue are so bad this year!

Edit: NW, not Purdue.

Problem is that I can’t name 40 teams I definitely think would beat Iowa on a neutral field

Problem is that I can’t name 40 teams I definitely think would beat Iowa on a neutral field

I guess we'll see. Right now The Athletic put them 27th on their 1-133 rankings. But there are a lot of teams below them that look much better.

If they take one on the chin against NW they certainly don't belong anywhere near the top 40 and right now I'd put that game as a tossup.

The problem we have is that Iowa's offense is so bad that some will overlook just how dominant the defense was against them. Iowa has put up some decent rushing numbers in other games, our D completely shut them down.

Iowa's offense is horrible but overall the team is decent. They have a really good defense and get great play from their special teams....that is going to keep them in most games. They are not a top 25 team but they definitely are top 40.

The problem we have is that Iowa's offense is so bad that some will overlook just how dominant the defense was against them. Iowa has put up some decent rushing numbers in other games, our D completely shut them down.

Iowa's offense is horrible but overall the team is decent. They have a really good defense and get great play from their special teams....that is going to keep them in most games. They are not a top 25 team but they definitely are top 40.

Overall they're pretty bad running the ball too. 3.8 yards per rush coming into the game which put them in 90's nationally in that category.

I guess we'll see. Right now The Athletic put them 27th on their 1-133 rankings. But there are a lot of teams below them that look much better.

If they take one on the chin against NW they certainly don't belong anywhere near the top 40 and right now I'd put that game as a tossup.
Ok. Do you think WI is a top 40 team? If so, IA best them already while rushing for over 200 yards in a very physical game.

I don't know what else you want to say.

Worthy or not, if the refs miss that call on the punt and they score a TD that they never should have, Iowa would be nationally ranked in the top 25 right now. The Gophers beat a ranked team in their house and I could not be happier. Well, maybe I could be a little happier.

Just heard this. Forty-two years is a long, long time.

It was 12-10, the exact same score.

Also interesting: that 1981 Gopher team also upset Ohio State...

... just sayin'.
Love the parallelism. Another parallel: Gophers' TE in the 1981 victory was Jay Carroll, our current RT's (Quinn Carroll's) dad.

Where parallels end: TE Carroll had three receiving TDs in the 1981 game. And on his TDs, he wasn't running shallow, lateral routes; he was running downfield. The Gophers managed to stick with Ohio State by playing "modern" football. In that one game, against a pretty good defense, QB Mike Hohensee's record-breaking performance was 37-64 for 444 yards and 5 passing touchdowns. Through 7 full games this year, AK has thrown a total of 6 touchdowns with 923 yards. I hope we give Ohio State a real game, but it is difficult to hang with, much less beat, Ohio State without a passing game--esp. if we fall behind.

Of course, our real task is to beat MSU, Illinois and Purdue before OSU (and beat Bucky after OSU). Win the next three games and maybe we go into OSU game with a swashbuckling nothing-to-lose, everything-to-gain attitude on offense. Go Gophers!

Just heard this. Forty-two years is a long, long time.

It was 12-10, the exact same score.

Also interesting: that 1981 Gopher team also upset Ohio State...

... just sayin'.

I listened a bit on the radio that day, but I remember scouring the local TV stations for highlights. Also, it's replayed often on BTN as part of the Minnesota Classics. I've watched it several times. :)

Both teams featured a player from St Cloud Tech of which there have only been 3 to play for the gophers (IIRC)

Ok. Do you think WI is a top 40 team? If so, IA best them already while rushing for over 200 yards in a very physical game.

I don't know what else you want to say.

Maybe fringe top 40. I think if Iowa & Wisconsin played 10 times Wisconsin would beat them 7. Credit to Iowa. Their QB avoided turnovers. Barely. A fumble and potential INT were close to turning the game in a completely different direction. They got it done that day.

Top Bottom