Fire Kent State Coach?

My bad!​

Mistake costs Kent State the NCAA tournament in ‘horrible, tough’ loss​

Cindy Boren
Kent State's Julius Rollins immediately realized his mistake in the game against Akron. (Phil Long/AP)
Julius Rollins’s mistake, one of those brain freeze moments, came at the worst possible moment, with his Kent State team only seconds from securing an NCAA tournament berth.
With six seconds left in Saturday’s Mid-American Conference championship game vs. Akron, Kent State took a 61-60 lead on Cli’Ron Hornbeak’s tip-in. The Zips then inbounded the ball and Rollins, who was unaware of the score and believed his team was still trailing, intentionally fouled Akron’s Greg Tribble in the backcourt. Tribble went on to make both free throws with 4.8 seconds left and when the Golden Flashes’ Jalen Sullinger missed a last-gasp shot, Akron claimed the automatic tournament berth.
Rollins immediately realized his mistake on the court and appeared to say, “What the f--- did I do?” when he went to the bench. As the game ended, he pulled his jersey over his face.

I’m sure the coach told him to be unaware of the game situation

That’s like a 6th grade basketball level mistake by the player. Feel bad for him

That's heartbreaking. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat; the human drama of althletic competition. Including things that happen like this and like Chris Weber calling the timeout they didn't have. It's part of why sports are so interesting.

Here’s the video for those that want to see it and not read it:

Go Gophers!!

Here’s the video for those that want to see it and not read it:

Go Gophers!!
I absolutely loved the coaches reaction. It was shades of Jerry Tarkanian biting the towel. He just covers his eyes and walks down the sidelines in shock.

I absolutely loved the coaches reaction. It was shades of Jerry Tarkanian biting the towel. He just covers his eyes and walks down the sidelines in shock.
I mean, you shouldn't have to tell your guys that you're ahead.

Top Bottom