Final verdict in on the Brew (and his recruiting)...

How was his recruiting haul at that time? According to Scout, Brew - this self admitted recruiting machine - reeled in 25 players....one 4-star (Jimmy Gjere)...five 3-stars---and 19 2-stars...and finished dead last in the Big Ten in recruiting. Same class on Rivals had 2 four star a bunch of 3 star a couple 2 star and was ranked #7 in the conference which by Minnesota standards is better than most years the team has experienced under Mason or Kill

As Gopher fans stared at one another in stunned disbelief over the course of this recruiting cycle, their collective thought was..."I thought this clown could recruit??" The problems with Brew had far more to do with failure to settle on a system and maintain his coaching staff.

For now, I am appealing to your common sense. What do you think Gopher fans were concluding with this last place finish in 2010's recruiting? On these very boards, many were suggesting the Brew had stocked the cupboard so full in 2008, that future prospective student athletes were spooked at the thought of trying to compete for playing time with all those studs. You either are just trolling or are totally grasping at straws trying to prove your point (my bet is trolling). Many of those recruits for 2008 were JC guys who would have no bearing on the class of 2010. I have been on these boards for years including that time, people were really excited about the class of 2008 but it was pretty clear pretty quick that this team was not loaded with talent so I highly doubt anyone beyond well I guess maybe you was saying what you are contending.

Fast forward to the Jerry Kill era...he shows up 2+ years ago...and declares said cupboard in dinkytown is bare...

The NFL doesn't want our Maroon and Gold guys...ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 doesn't want to televise our night games...Western Michigan is upset that their recruiting targets are often heading to Minneapolis...So your whole point was about Brewster and his recruiting so what is the point to any of this. There are very few Gophers in the NFL, Brew was no different than pretty much any other Gopher coach. In terms of recruiting there is more to a good recruit than just making it to the NFL because some guys are good college players but not NFL guys. But all that aside you really are just arguing for the sake of arguing. It has been well noted the Brewster years were a trainwreck. You are correct when you say he didn't live up to the hype surrounding his ability as a true recruiter but I will still contend a lot of that had more to do with external factors. The staff worked very hard in recruiting and upgraded the athletic ability of the team significantly from when Mason was here. We get it your hate Brew, but I don't know you could maybe use one of the many other well established reasons for hating Brew on these boards as opposed to trying to pretend you are smarter than everyone else and inventing a new one. Troll away

Go Gophers!

Requiem For A Dawg
LA-Lafayette Fan
2013 1st Rd. Draft Pick on BearRant
Member since Dec 2010
8881 posts

What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 12/18/12 at 2:11 p.m.)

Every article I read the recruits the say the same things. They always praise Brewster, how much they like him, and the relationship he has made with them. Keep in mind, Brewster has only been on most of these guys for a few months max. If we want to be a consistent winner, we have to keep a guy like this.

I think we have to give him a significant raise and promote him to assistant HC/WR. If Mullen fires Les in the offseason, I think we should give Brew a shot at OC. No way he should ever leave unless it's for another HC job.

ChargerDog91
Mississippi St. Fan
Member since May 2012
2958 posts

re: What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 12/18/12 at 2:12 p.m. to Requiem For A Dawg)

I think we should do that or maybe do the split thing like when Hud was here if Koenning isn't fired.

Tds & Beer
Mississippi St. Fan
Team Mallard
Member since Sep 2009
19514 posts

re: What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 12/18/12 at 2:14 p.m. to Requiem For A Dawg)

No matter what his title is, he is worth a lot of money to us, and his pay should show that. If it doesn't, and he leaves for another small job, it will be a giant failure by Dan and Scott.

Requiem For A Dawg
LA-Lafayette Fan
Member since Dec 2010
8881 posts

re: What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 12/18/12 at 2:15 p.m. to ChargerDog91)

I believe he was passing game coordinator. Honestly, he has the most quality experience of any coach on our staff. Hell he was the assistant HC under Shannanhan in Denver. I think he can handle it at State. He definitely needs a raise, especially if he is making what Mirando was making.

Requiem For A Dawg
LA-Lafayette Fan
Member since Dec 2010
8881 posts

re: What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 12/18/12 at 2:17 p.m. to Tds & Beer)

I honesty can't remember every having anyone on our staff recruiting like him. He's got elite, national guys interested in us in few short months. When I see how hard he is working it pisses me off at the rest of our staff.

ChargerDog91
Mississippi St. Fan
Member since May 2012
2958 posts

re: What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 12/18/12 at 2:17 p.m. to Requiem For A Dawg)

I think we should riot if he doesn't get a raise.

stoms
Mississippi St. Fan
Starkville
Member since May 2012
599 posts

re: What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 12/18/12 at 5:19 p.m. to Tds & Beer)

quote:
No matter what his title is, he is worth a lot of money to us, and his pay should show that. If it doesn't, and he leaves for another small job, it will be a giant failure by Dan and Scott.

^^This^^

Even if we dont change his capacity much we should give him the wr/associate hc title and raise his pay accordingly. We should make it that the only way he leaves is for another HC gig somewhere

MadDoggyStyle
Mississippi St. Fan
Member since Feb 2012
581 posts

re: What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 12/18/12 at 8:27 p.m. to Requiem For A Dawg)

I think Brew is giving Dan cause to re-examine his 100 mile recruiting radius theory. Brew is all over the country and the bottom line is that elite kids want to play in the SEC, and would consider MSU.

NIH
LA-Lafayette Fan
Grindin' and giving out chops
Member since Aug 2008
51693 posts

re: What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 12/18/12 at 11:41 p.m. to MadDoggyStyle)

Bingo

brewcrew
Member since Feb 2013
10 posts

re: What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 2/14/13 at 9:54 a.m. to Requiem For A Dawg)

Life long gopher fan who thought minnesota fired Brew prematurly. He will definitly raise your recruiting and optimism about your program. I have become msu fan because his hire. Making him assistant coach was good move to keep him. He got minnesota a 17th ranked recruiting class (3rd in the big10). No other coach will ever acomplish that major miracle, our recruiting is back down to 61st rank. I enjoyed watching most games this season and look forward to watching your program rise

17theBears
Mississippi St. Fan
Team Mallard
Member since Apr 2012
2192 posts

re: What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 2/14/13 at 9:57 a.m. to brewcrew)

He's easily my favorite coach. Hop on the grind wagon.

Requiem For A Dawg
LA-Lafayette Fan
Member since Dec 2010
8881 posts

re: What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 2/14/13 at 10:11 a.m. to brewcrew)

Brew is the man. We are glad to have him.

brewcrew
Member since Feb 2013
10 posts

re: What should we do with Coach Tim Brewster? (Posted on 2/14/13 at 10:17 a.m. to Requiem For A Dawg)

Minnesotans like to be pessimistic about their football and media did not like him talking rosebowls and taking the program to a higher level. He made some mistakes for not having headcoaching experience and had high turnover rate in coaches. Buts let face it minnesota is not a destination job, ted roof did tremendous with the D then went to auburn and won a national championship. You will love him in the SEC and have added a bulldog fan in me.

I hate to dive into this cesspool of a thread, but I just can't help myself.

IMO, Brew is a tremendous recruiter...the problem with the 2009 & 2010 classes was the turnover at OC & DC.

Kids are recruited by Asst Coaches and closed by Head Coaches. When you lose your top two asst coaches two years in a row...nothing a HC does will make a difference. It takes 2-3 years to build relationships with top talent and close them on coming to the U. The same reason player development suffered also lead to a decline in recruiting.

Mason couldn't get the recruits because he and his staff weren't working as hard as the top programs. Brew screwed us with staff turnover. Jerry & Co. don't seem to suffer from either of these problems.

My expectation is that as we enter year 3 of recruiting, we start to see Jerry close on more top talent, based purely on consistent on field growth and stable coaching staff and hard work. The U is a great school and place to play football, the B1G is on national TV every week and Mpls is a great city to live, work and play in. No excuses...and Jerry isn't giving any...future looks bright indeed!

So can we now bury the Mason & Brewster carcasses?

MSU And FSU Battling Over Brewster

Reports of Tim Brewster’s move from Mississippi State to Florida State seem to have been a bit premature. Today there’s still some back-and-forth going on as FSU tries to hire the tight ends coach and MSU tries to keep him.

At this point we can be sure of just one thing — the ex-Minnesota head coach will be making a lot more money next season… either in Tallahassee or Starkville. But while money will likely play a pretty big role in Brewster’s ultimate decision, Bulldog fans are taking to Twitter to try and convince him to stay in the Magnolia State.

msu-tweets.jpg

There’s just one catch, of course. Do you really think Brewster is hanging out on Twitter as two programs compete for his services?

Update: The Florida State Rivals Site ($) says the deal with Brewster was finalized today. He will coach tight ends for Jimbo Fisher.

Go Gophers!
"How was his recruiting haul at that time? According to Scout, Brew - this self admitted recruiting machine - reeled in 25 players....one 4-star (Jimmy Gjere)...five 3-stars---and 19 2-stars...and finished dead last in the Big Ten in recruiting.

Same class on Rivals had 2 four star a bunch of 3 star a couple 2 star and was ranked #7 in the conference which by Minnesota standards is better than most years the team has experienced under Mason or Kill"

Based on their on-field performance and lack of any NFL interest, this should put to rest the discussion as to which recruiting site is more credible...Scout vs. Rivals...

Scout wins hands down.

Update: The Florida State Rivals Site ($) says the deal with Brewster was finalized today. He will coach tight ends for Jimbo Fisher.

Huh? Brewster was hired at FSU almost 2 months ago.

Which one of you dnks posted this?
'Minnesotans like to be pessimistic about their football and media did not like him talking rosebowls and taking the program to a higher level. He made some mistakes for not having headcoaching experience and had high turnover rate in coaches. Buts let face it minnesota is not a destination job, ted roof did tremendous with the D then went to auburn and won a national championship. You will love him in the SEC and have added a bulldog fan in me. '?

247 Sports Top 50 College Football Recruiters in 2013.

Alabama
Mike Groh - wide receivers coach/recruiting coordinator - 247Sports National Recruiter of the Year.

Kirby Smart - defensive coordinator
Lance Thompson - outside linebackers coach

Arkansas
Sam Pittman – offensive line coach

Auburn
Rodney Garner - defensive line coach

Baylor
Kendal Briles - passing game coordinator/offensive recruiting coordinator

Clemson
Tony Elliott - running backs coach
Brent Venables - defensive coordinator
John Chavis

Florida
Brian White - running backs coach
Travaris Robinson - defensive backs coach

Florida State
Jeremy Pruitt – defensive coordinator
Lawrence Dawsey - receivers coach

Georgia
John Lilly – tight ends coach

Indiana
Mark Hagen – defensive tackles coach/recruiting coordinator

Louisville
Clint Hurtt – associate head coach/recruiting coordinator

LSU
John Chavis – defensive coordinator

Michigan
Fred Jackson – running backs coach
Greg Mattison – defensive coordinator
Jerry Montgomery – defensive line coach

Michigan State
Mark Staten – offensive line coach
Tony Alford

Notre Dame assistant Tony Alford gives the Irish a strong presence in Florida.

Ole Miss
Maurice Harris – tight ends coach/recruiting coordinator for offense
Chris Kiffin – defensive line coach/recruiting coordinator for defense
Wesley McGriff – co-defensive coordinator

Mississippi State
Tim Brewster – receivers coach

Nebraska
Terry Joseph – defensive backs coach
John Papuchis – defensive coordinator

Notre Dame
Tony Alford – running backs/slot wide receivers/ recruiting coordinator
Mike Denbrock – outside wide receivers/passing game coordinator
Chuck Martin – offensive coordinator

Ohio State
Luke Fickell – defensive coordinator
Mike Vrabel – defensive line coach

Oregon
Don Pellum – linebackers coach/recruiting coordinator

Penn State
Charles London – running backs coach
Larry Johnson – defensive line coach

South Carolina
G.A. Mangus – quarterbacks coach
Stacy Searels

South Florida
Larry Scott – running backs coach

Stanford
Mike Sanford – running backs coach/recruiting coordinator

Texas A&M
Clarence McKinney – offensive coordinator
David Beaty – wide receivers coach/recruiting coordinator

Tennessee
Jay Graham – running backs coach

Texas
Stacy Searels – offensive line coach

UCLA
Adrian Klemm – offensive line coach
Demetrice Martin – defensive backs coach

USC
Ed Orgeron – defensive line coach/recruiting coordinator
Tee Martin – receivers coach

Vanderbilt
Josh Gattis – receivers/offensive recruiting coordinator

Virginia Tech
Shane Beamer – associate head coach/running backs coach

Washington
Tosh Lupoi – defensive line coach

West Virginia
Bill Bedenbaugh – offensive line coach

Wisconsin
Ben Strickland - defensive backs coach

May take some time to come up with those 'relevant links'...as they are now more than 3 years old, and I'm a busy guy.

But in the meantime, let me throw this out to you...

In February, 2010, the Brew had just begun his 4th (and as it turned out, final) season as Gopher head coach. He had just come off his 2nd consecutive trip to a bowl game. He had some momentum...and a story to tell...

How was his recruiting haul at that time? According to Scout, Brew - this self admitted recruiting machine - reeled in 25 players....one 4-star (Jimmy Gjere)...five 3-stars---and 19 2-stars...and finished dead last in the Big Ten in recruiting.

As Gopher fans stared at one another in stunned disbelief over the course of this recruiting cycle, their collective thought was..."I thought this clown could recruit??"

For now, I am appealing to your common sense. What do you think Gopher fans were concluding with this last place finish in 2010's recruiting? On these very boards, many were suggesting the Brew had stocked the cupboard so full in 2008, that future prospective student athletes were spooked at the thought of trying to compete for playing time with all those studs.

Fast forward to the Jerry Kill era...he shows up 2+ years ago...and declares said cupboard in dinkytown is bare...

The NFL doesn't want our Maroon and Gold guys...ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 doesn't want to televise our night games...Western Michigan is upset that their recruiting targets are often heading to Minneapolis...

I'm another who doesn't remember people saying Brewster's problems were related to his strong first class. And I do have to take issue with your assertion that he had momenum entering the 2010 season. His momentum stopped cold after the 7-1 start in 2008. He finished that season with five straight losses, including 55-0 at home against Iowa. In 2009 they lost five of their last seven games to end the season. That included a luck-aided win over South Dakota State and a home loss to a bad Illinois team. Despite the bowl games, Brewster absolutely limped through that season-and-a-half. This, of course, after going 1-11 in 2007. In three seasons to that point, Brewster had two good months on the field.

That's what hurt recruiting, in my opinion.

I always thought that if we had beaten that bad Illinois team in 2009, at least Brewster could've claimed momentum, even if the team didn't pass the eye test. His conference record would've improved each year to that point. But, no, he didn't have momentum.

2008 class was ranked in the mid 30's I believe in Rivals' Enrolled Rankings which only counts the guys who actually made it to school in the fall. Still better than the average Minnesota rankings but not a game changing class like it was supposed to be.

Top Bottom