Field of 68 Projection: Oklahoma State Among 3 New At-Larges In This Week's Field

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
There are 9 new teams in this week’s Field of 68 projection: Abilene Christian (Southland auto bid); Arkansas (at-large); Colgate (Patriot auto bid); LSU (at-large); Mount Saint Mary’s (NEC auto bid); North Texas (Conference USA auto bid); Oklahoma State (at-large); UMBC (America East auto bid); and Wright State (Horizon auto bid).

One other note regarding this week’s projection. For the first time I’m considering Oklahoma State eligible for the tournament. Until we hear otherwise, going forward I will assume Ok State's appeal of their postseason ban will not be ruled on before the tournament starts, meaning the Cowboys would be eligible for the tournament.

An * denotes the leader in a multiple-bid conference or -- in the event of a standings tie -- the team with the best NET ranking (noted in parentheses).

FIELD OF 68 PROJECTION (through games played Feb. 13)
America East (1): UMBC (128)

American (1): Houston (5)

ACC (6): *Virginia (6), Florida State (25), Virginia Tech (33), Louisville (34), Clemson (45), North Carolina (56)

ASUN (1): Liberty (92)

Atlantic 10 (2): *VCU (32), Saint Louis (35)

Big East (5): *Villanova (13), Creighton (22), Xavier (39), Seton Hall (42), UConn (58)

Big Sky (1): Eastern Washington (126)

Big South (1): Winthrop (69)

Big Ten (9): *Michigan (3), Illinois (4), Ohio State (7), Iowa (8), Wisconsin (16), Purdue (26), Rutgers (29), Minnesota (46), Indiana (51)

Big XII (7): *Baylor (2), Texas Tech (14), Oklahoma (17), West Virginia (18), Kansas (20), Texas (21), Oklahoma State (43)

Big West (1): UCSB (50)

Colonial (1): Northeastern (127)

Conference USA (2): *North Texas (72), Western Kentucky (75)

Horizon (1): Wright State (59)

MAAC (1): Siena (113)

MAC (1): Toledo (68)

MEAC (1): North Carolina A&T (296)

Missouri Valley (2): *Loyola (10), Drake (40)

Mountain West (3): San Diego State (24), Boise State (37), *Utah State (53)

NEC (1): Mount Saint Mary’s (162)

OVC (1): Belmont (62)

Pac 12 (4): *USC (15), Colorado (19), Oregon (48), UCLA (49)

Patriot (1): Colgate (11)

SEC (6): *Alabama (9), Tennessee (12), Arkansas (23), LSU (27), Florida (28), Missouri (36)

SoCon (1): UNC-Greensboro (95)

Southland (1): Abilene Christian (74)

SWAC (1): Prairie View A&M (156)

Summit (1): South Dakota (179)

Sun Belt (1): Texas State (146)

WCC (2): *Gonzaga (1), BYU (30)

WAC (1): Grand Canyon (115)

First 4 Out: Saint Bonaventure (41), Colorado State (44), Ole Miss (55), Stanford (60)

8 to Watch: Penn State (31), Maryland (38), Syracuse (52), Richmond (54), SMU (57), Memphis (61), Marshall (67), Saint John’s (73)

Non-Power 6 At-Large Bids (6): San Diego State (24), BYU (30), Saint Louis (35), Boise State (37), Drake (40), Western Kentucky (75)

Power 6 At-Large Percentage (31 of 37): 83.8%.4%

Non-Power 6 At-Large Percentage (6 of 37): 16.2%

Power 6 Overall Bids Percentage (37 of 68): 54.4%

Non-Power 6 Overall Bids Percentage (31 of 68): 45.6%

Out With The Old (9): Bryant, Cleveland State, Colorado State, Navy, Saint Bonaventure, Sam Houston State, Stanford, UAB, Vermont

In With The New (9): Abilene Christian, Arkansas, Colgate, LSU, Mount Saint Mary’s, North Texas, Oklahoma State, UMBC, Wright State

NEXT PROJECTION:
Sunday, Feb. 21

Last edited:

How is western Kentucky getting an at large? I don't see a ton going on with their resume.

How is western Kentucky getting an at large? I don't see a ton going on with their resume.
Excellent question.

Hilltoppers keep hanging around despite a couple bad losses. They're one team I think is sorely undervalued by the NET.

2-2 vs. Quad 1 includes a win @ Alabama.

4-2 vs. Quads 1/2 combined includes neutral-site win over Memphis + a sweep of C-USA co-leader Marshall.

5-2 road record

Eye test, which I'm not a fan of, but I think this season will be relied on more by the Selection Committee because of disparity of games played.

Definitely would advise WKU not to have any additional losses the rest of the regular season.

Two questions, Hodger.

First, I thought Oklahoma State voluntarily banned from post season play. Did they withdraw that when it looked like they might be better than anticipated? When violation notice was issued, I remember thinking Cunningham was a pretty stand up guy to honor his commitment despite no chance to make the tourney, and virtually no chance of playing a second season with them.

Second, I keep looking at Bellermine on top of the A-Sun and you listing Liberty as their one bid. Then I see Bellermine is in D-1 transition protocols. Tough on them to be the best team in the league but not qualify for the tournament. The bloody NCAA is making so many exceptions, they should apply for one like the rest. FWIW, it looks like Bellermine is the St. Thomas of Louisville.

Two questions, Hodger.

First, I thought Oklahoma State voluntarily banned from post season play. Did they withdraw that when it looked like they might be better than anticipated? When violation notice was issued, I remember thinking Cunningham was a pretty stand up guy to honor his commitment despite no chance to make the tourney, and virtually no chance of playing a second season with them.

Second, I keep looking at Bellermine on top of the A-Sun and you listing Liberty as their one bid. Then I see Bellermine is in D-1 transition protocols. Tough on them to be the best team in the league but not qualify for the tournament. The bloody NCAA is making so many exceptions, they should apply for one like the rest. FWIW, it looks like Bellermine is the St. Thomas of Louisville.
Ok State did not voluntarily give itself a postseason ban. They are appealing their postseason ban, and if it is not ruled on before the tournament, they are eligible.

Ok State did not voluntarily give itself a postseason ban. They are appealing their postseason ban, and if it is not ruled on before the tournament, they are eligible.

Very interesting situation for the NCAA. In past normalcy, Ok State would have qualified for getting the beat down for places like Kansas and Arizona. I predicted as much when they got caught up in the FBI investigation. The glacier seems to be moving a bit.

If they make it by slow walking the system, count me in on the conspiracy crew with the NCAA. "Low and behold we didn't have time to revisit the appeal and they have a potential number one draft pick that could draw some viewers. We'll let it slide."

I'm growing in cynicism. It's a bad look.

Oklahoma State is the new Cleveland State, until it isn't.

It's in the NCAA handbook!

Top Bottom