Fantastic Start to the Kill Era

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
There were plenty of foibles today to be sure, but we nearly beat Southern Cal on the road coming off a 3 win season with a new coach. The downside is that we saw many horrible errors that Kill proclaims to be not a part of his program (delays of game, false starts, etc). In the end, I was looking for hope in this game and I found it. This is not a great Southern Cal team but is full of 4 and 5 star talent and is ranked #25 in the country. Our guys should be proud and looking to improve upon this performance next week.

Headset problems...

There were plenty of foibles today to be sure, but we nearly beat Southern Cal on the road coming off a 3 win season with a new coach. The downside is that we saw many horrible errors that Kill proclaims to be not a part of his program (delays of game, false starts, etc).

Apparently, they had headset problems in the first half that led to some of the issues on O. I assume it caused the delays of game. It obviously didn't cause the false starts, but I'm sure Kill will be getting after those in practice this week. The proof will be how it's going after the first few games. Gotta work out the kinks. We certainly saw improvement in the 2nd half, so there's hope.

I don't know that I'd call a loss a "fantastic start". I was impressed though.

I don't know that I'd call a loss a "fantastic start". I was impressed though.

Agree. "Fantastic" might have been if they had gone down the field and got the win. Still a nice way to start the Kill Era. If we had continued to play like we did in the first half, the negativity associated with the program would have been right back, and assholes like Souhan and Ruesse would have been feeding it, and there would have been a whole lot of jerks around here piling on. Don't think there wouldn't have been some doubt in the players also. As it is, we have a mild quarterback controversy with a whole lot optimism among the fans and in the media.

More importantly, is what this game does for the team. This game has got to go a long way in getting them to believe in themselves and in the coaching staff. You can't be successful at this game without total commitment from everyone. The adjustments made by the coaches; the emphasis on fundamentals; the insistence on discipline versus USC's; the difference in Kill's comments versus Kiffin's at the end of the game; the enthusiasm shown by the coaches sent a really important message to the players. It's one thing to listen to coaches at practice. It's an entirely different thing to see it in action during a game.

This game shows everyone a solid foundation is being laid. Now the next set of games becomes just as important. We can't afford any setbacks. Gray, especially, has to show improvement. The offensive line has to generate consistency and the run game has to become a weapon. The Gophers also have to find a pass rush. I would guess the kicking game will also get some special attention.

Kill's a genius. Set expectations low. Get them to play above expectations. Nothing wrong with that as a way to start.

Top Bottom