Fantastic Chip Scoggins column: U's Wilhite is cure for cynicism about college sports

Great article, thanks for posting.

Love it.

Both parents in the house -- almost makes you think that's a good idea.

Well written and very informative article. Good job, Chip.

To state the obvious, DL Wilhite is a fine young man.

Excellent stuff, good to hear the positive aspects sometimes too, instead of always hearing about the scandals and flops.

Love how Kill takes the time to go and hear Wilhite's presentation. God, I hope he's successful here.

Nice article. I'm glad the Gophers have D.L. on their squad -- he sounds like a true leader.

(Nitpicking on the writing though...)

I would have liked to see Chip fill out his reporting with maybe following D.L. to class (once the fall semester starts) or follow him around one day to get more of the sights and sounds of how he treats people. It's great to hear it from Chip's words how good of a person D.L. is, but it would be great to see examples of it in the column. What I enjoyed so much about Phil Miller's piece of Jerry Kill was the actual reporting of it, of the first-person stuff he got. Chip kind of just listed D.L.'s resume at points, which yeah, D.L.'s accomplishments are varied enough to be listed, but it would have been nice to have some other background in the story. Again, I'm nitpicking, but I'm just saying.

emann,

Wow, you're nitpicking about that story?

Phil's Jerry Kill story featured significant amounts of reporting and probably took several weeks to get done. As someone who works in corporate communication, it is challenging at times to get interviews lined up, etc. The whole process takes way longer than you might think.

I thought Chip's piece was very nice. He clearly put work into it.

Top Bottom