Fall Scrimmage Snippets

I would love to see that, too. However, is it just me, or does he seem too big and lacking quickness to effectively play receiver? He seems built more like a receiving tight end (Irv Smith type) to me.
I agree with you, but I recall him being lined up wide (or the slot) against SDSU and wiffing on some blocks. I think if he irons that out he can see time. In that same vein, I think him succeeding with show Adim-Madumere how to be successful.

I believe I have a better picture of what some of you were referring to possibly as to Bryce after watching the Vikings last night (don't want to turn this into a Viking thread).

Last night when the Vikings needed about 1/2 yard to seal the game they turned to Mattison to get that yardage. He clearly ran into a brick wall all the while I'm noticing the right side of the line there is a bit of a hole. I'm thinking Cook would have shifted to the right and gained at least two-three yards. Much like Mo would have shifted somewhere to gain some yardage.

Will never know, easier said than done sometimes.

Seth Green had a highlight reel one handed catch in one of the highlight tapes. It'd be awesome to see it click for him in year 5.
We'll see. If Green has more than 2 catches by the Iowa game, I would be shocked.

I agree with you, but I recall him being lined up wide (or the slot) against SDSU and wiffing on some blocks. I think if he irons that out he can see time. In that same vein, I think him succeeding with show Adim-Madumere how to be successful.
Speaking of the Seahawks, I don't know if Seth is as much a physical freak as DK Metcalf who runs low 4.3's at 6-4 230lbs, but his height/weight at least lines up in that range.

Blocking is obviously key, and if he were solid at blocking you would think he would've stuck at TE.

I guess we'll see, but good luck to him in any case!

Or none. Great WC QB. He's an awful WR. Too slow, bad blocker, and bad catching hands.
I think only one of those has kept him off the field (blocking) additionally where is the evidence of his poor hands?

That highlight tape is indicative of Williams' deficiencies. The holes he hit were playside directly in front of him. He has good power and speed but doesn't find holes. If your interested in watching '18 Indiana or '19 Georgia Southern you can see open holes that Bryce flat out misses and instead runs directly forward into the backs of his linemen. No where in that highlight tape was evidence of his good vision.
you guys are nuts

I believe I have a better picture of what some of you were referring to possibly as to Bryce after watching the Vikings last night (don't want to turn this into a Viking thread).

Last night when the Vikings needed about 1/2 yard to seal the game they turned to Mattison to get that yardage. He clearly ran into a brick wall all the while I'm noticing the right side of the line there is a bit of a hole. I'm thinking Cook would have shifted to the right and gained at least two-three yards. Much like Mo would have shifted somewhere to gain some yardage.

Will never know, easier said than done sometimes.
I always wonder what an RB's options really are.

Is everyone given carte blanche the moment the ball hits their hands to pick a different spot and abandon the play and bounce wherever?

SG17 might not have the speed or moves to get good separation, but it seems like he might have WR value as a jump ball/possession type receiver when matched up against a shorter DB. I don’t recall him having bad hands. If, as receiver #3, he was able to win jump balls, or use his size to keep smaller DBs away from the pass, he could pose a match-up problem for DCs to worry about. Really depends, I suppose, on how the new OC wants to deploy his WRs. I don’t think SG17 meshed well with old OC’s preferences (who needs jump balls when you have TJ and Bateman?), except out of the wildcat. But every year is different.

I always wonder what an RB's options really are.

Is everyone given carte blanche the moment the ball hits their hands to pick a different spot and abandon the play and bounce wherever?
In a zone running scheme, pretty much yes. I mean, there's a "playside" and "backside" (depending on the direction in which the OL reach blocks), and most of the time the hole ends up on the playside because there's at least one unblocked defender on the backside. There's also inside and outside zone (or "stretch") concepts which have to do with where double-teams are concentrated and who ends up on LB's...but yeah, once the RB takes the handoff they're meant to find whatever hole naturally develops.

Top Bottom