Expansion to 16 teams????????????

If we ask the Notre Dame faithful they don't want anything to do with being in a conference. When it is all said and done being an indie will hurt their chances.

Remember that the SEC was always a second choice for Mizzou... if offered by the Big Ten, they will not refuse. That card is still on the table, IMO -- if the Big Ten wants to just cut right to the chase and slap the real competition (SEC) in the face.

And let's face it: it has always been about Notre Dame.

We had eleven... we add two to the West (Nebraska and Mizzou), two to the East (Maryland and Rutgers), and one national brand right in our backyard.

I think Notre Dame's success this year has added fuel to their belief that they can remain independent and strong in football (though I still maintain it won't work long term). For them to reconsider they'd have to either really want the BTN money or want the opportunity to improve the level of prestige of their other sports.

My (theoretical) money is on Virginia and UNC as the B1G's top picks next to Notre Dame. Personally, I'd love to see Mizzou and Kansas but as has been said many times, this isn't about geographic or cultural fit and it isn't about program competitiveness. It's mostly about TV money. That's why I'm a little terrified that Georgia Tech might be in the picture.

Lastly, Louisville will never be offered a spot in the B1G. It is not in the same stratosphere as the rest of the conference academically. UNC and Virginia are. Kansas and Mizzou are. Nebraska was about as big of a reach as the conference would make academically and they were still an AAU member when accepted into the conference and likely will be readmitted in the near future.

If UNC leaves the ACC after Maryland, the ACC then Fl State and Ga Tech will leave because it will cease to be a football conference with adequate competition. College football is quickly becoming a three conference organization. The B1G, SEC and the PAC 12. If the B1G adds UNC & one more and if the PAC 12 got to 14 teams or 16 , it would raise some real issues.

How long before they leave the NCAA and set up some functionally semi-pro rules? I've believed this was coming for some time. Then what happens to Texas & Notre Dame? They could play each other four home & away series each year and close out with a few MAC games. Actually, I think ND ends up in the B1G and Texas & OU in the PAC 12.

Don't think for a minute that this hasn't been discussed down to the details of how large the monthly payment will be to the football, basketball & hockey players.

The last 2 teams will be from the following 4: Virginia, BC, Kansas, and ......... Notre Dame. If the B1G poaches Virginia first, it will definately be a blood in the water situation for the ACC. Slim chance UNC comes to the B1G, although I would be all for it. They would instantly be behind Wisconsin as my least favorite team. I think if it's Virginia first, than the last will be either Kansas or BC. I think if it BC first, that is where I see Notre Dame entering the picture again. No doubt about it, we can all rip Notre Dame, but if the B1G lands them, it will be monumental!

The last 2 teams will be from the following 4: Virginia, BC, Kansas, and ......... Notre Dame. If the B1G poaches Virginia first, it will definately be a blood in the water situation for the ACC. No way UNC comes to the B1G. None. I think if it Virginia first, than the last will be either Kansas or BC. I think if it BC first, that is where I see Notre Dame entering the picture again. No doubt about it, we can all rip Notre Dame, but if the B1G lands them, it will be monumental!

The Notre Dame and B1G marriage has to happen at some point. Virginia is an ideal school academically.

Remember that the SEC was always a second choice for Mizzou... if offered by the Big Ten, they will not refuse. That card is still on the table, IMO -- if the Big Ten wants to just cut right to the chase and slap the real competition (SEC) in the face.

I disagree. Mizzou got left at the alter by the B1G and started shacking up with the SEC on the rebound. But the SEC knocked her up Uncle Aggie forced her hand in a shotgun wedding. She ain't going anywhere.

The Notre Dame and B1G marriage has to happen at some point. Virginia is an ideal school academically.

The question I have with ND is... do they actually add households to the BTN? Do Colorado (picking a state at random) cable providers start adding BTN? Texas? Missouri?

And if they don't add households... do they actually increase the value of BTN? Do cable providers in Minnesota pay double for BTN now? Michigan? Wisconsin? DirecTV?

If not, do they really add as much value to the Big Ten as say North Carolina or Louisville or Kansas, where the BTN is adding households?

The only way I can see ND adding that much value is if somehow the B1G negotiates an additional nationally televised game on network TV. Not saying maybe the per user cost of BTN might not be a little more valuable with ND, but they already have pushed the price limit with many cable providers and Dish Network.

The last numbers I saw had NBC paying $1.8 million/game to broadcast home ND games. That was before the last contract extension, but the ratings had been very low, so it may still be accurate (they extended the previous contract, but that doesn't necessarily mean the value stayed the same). That $14.4 million would be lower than the money each school gets from BTN (>$20 million / year).

Not trying to say it for sure doesn't make sense, just was thinking about it and wondered if it makes as much financial sense as it seems at first glance.

We need to get Tulane in the Big Ten to deliver the elusive large drinks on Bourbon Street market.

Two major rules:

1) The teams MUST be AAU, here is the list:
https://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476

The B1G will not pick a school that is not a member.

2) The school must open up new markets for network coverage and expand into prime recuiting areas. The school does not have to be a current power, bringing in the powers of the B1G will elevate the programs. Here is a map of the college fan coverage:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bGrx8hrDzoI/Ts8S13QIirI/AAAAAAAAAyI/n4UkxjOPKw0/s1600/CFBMapIII.png

Virginia looks like a prime candidate. GT could open a foothold in the south.

Two major rules:

1) The teams MUST be AAU, here is the list:
https://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476

The B1G will not pick a school that is not a member.

2) The school must open up new markets for network coverage and expand into prime recuiting areas. The school does not have to be a current power, bringing in the powers of the B1G will elevate the programs. Here is a map of the college fan coverage:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bGrx8hrDzoI/Ts8S13QIirI/AAAAAAAAAyI/n4UkxjOPKw0/s1600/CFBMapIII.png

Virginia looks like a prime candidate. GT could open a foothold in the south.

Thanks for putting that up there. It goes both ways too. Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland to various degrees, have suffered negative reactions from their fans. Their faculties though have been near unanimous in their praise of joining the Big Ten because of the major research Universities it contains.

The Big Ten Presidents, Faculty and Fund Raisers have to be pretty happy in adding at least three of those schools too.

Top Bottom