ESPN's Connelly on Penn State (.500 team since 2019)

swingman

Reaction score
*** Penn State boasts both experience and exciting newcomers on offense but will also break in seven new defensive starters and a new DC (Manny Diaz).

Is Penn State still a year away? Since enjoying their third top-10 finish in four seasons in 2019, James Franklin's Nittany Lions are 11-11. They have had three offensive coordinators in the last three seasons, fielded their worst offense in seven seasons last fall and just lost stalwart defensive coordinator Brent Pry, who took the Virginia Tech head coaching job.

In such a high-pressure gig, it's easy to begin assuming that Franklin is grasping at straws and falling into a win-or-else situation. Instead, Franklin signed a mammoth contract extension last November, then signed a top-10 recruiting class in February. There is plenty of context in that 11-11 record -- five of those losses came at the start of a disjointed 2020 season, and they responded with nine consecutive wins before an injury to quarterback Sean Clifford, and a shaky backup QB situation, derailed the offense.

Offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich has posted huge point and yardage totals everywhere he's been at the FBS level, and it seems he has a solid amount to work with in 2022. Clifford returns for his sixth year at State College; he's a willing and exciting runner, and he can be used heavily in that regard now that the backup quarterback situation seems to be in better hands between four-star freshman Drew Allar and redshirt freshman Christian Veilleux. The running back corps was disappointing last year but could get an immediate boost from five-star freshman Nicholas Singleton. The receiving corps loses first-round receiver Jahan Dotson but returns virtually everyone else (including 820-yard slot man Parker Washington) and adds 1,400-yard receiver Mitchell Tinsley from Western Kentucky. The line offers upside on the interior, though depth could be shaky.

Defensively, Manny Diaz inherits a group loaded with upside and light on experience. Sophomore linebacker Curtis Jacobs could be ready for a breakout season, as could Maryland transfer Chop Robinson at end and yet another four-star freshman, end Dani Dennis-Sutton. The secondary boasts exciting corners Joey Porter Jr. and Kalen King and senior safety Ji'Ayir Brown. Tackle PJ Mustipher could be a difference maker after missing half of last season to injury.

There's a lot of youth and a lot of "coulds" in those last two paragraphs, though. Against a schedule that features five projected top-25 opponents, it feels like asking for a huge surge is a bit much. The Nittany Lions will have a chance to win virtually every game they play, but emerging from 2022 with the stars aligned for 2023 might be the most important outcome of the season.

Yeah. People really down on fleck in 2020. It’s hard to win consistently. Look at penn state

They even lost to

Wait for it

Nebraska

Franklin most overpaid coach in the big ten? Country?

this story feels like the Penn st rouser should be playing in the background with all the mentions of "potential breakout" and "highly touted" players they have. They are relying on Clifford at QB this season. I think we've seen his best and that's not good enough.

Over the past 4 years Penn State is 31-17 (21-15) and Minnesota is 30-16 (19-15).

Not much gap there, considering all the resources Penn State has.

I dislike Sean Clifford. Not a Franklin fan either.

Franklin most overpaid coach in the big ten? Country?
Eh, Franklin has his flaws but that program was in tough shape when he got there and he has for the most part made them very competitive. Winning 42 games from 2016-2019 was a great stretch for them.

In terms of overpaid his contract at $7M doesn't look too bad when you see what Mel Tucker just got paid, plus the deal Jeff Brohm got.

I dislike Sean Clifford. Not a Franklin fan either.
Clifford is a douche. Franklin has actually grown on me. I didn't like him at first, but he seems like a decent guy - actually reminds me of PJ in a lot of ways.

Eh, Franklin has his flaws but that program was in tough shape when he got there and he has for the most part made them very competitive. Winning 42 games from 2016-2019 was a great stretch for them.

In terms of overpaid his contract at $7M doesn't look too bad when you see what Mel Tucker just got paid, plus the deal Jeff Brohm got.
I think with their resources they are one of the most underachieving teams in the country.

"Since enjoying their third top-10 finish in four seasons in 2019, James Franklin's Nittany Lions are 11-11. "

Not enough games with fans wearing matching white shirts, I guess.

I think with their resources they are one of the most underachieving teams in the country.
Depends on your criteria I suppose, but being a top 10ish program for much of Franklin's tenure seems like a decent accomplishment to me. Unfortunately for them OSU has just been a buzzsaw for a good 10 years now.

CFB has been very top heavy since roughly the start of the playoff era. If PSU is one of the biggest underachieving teams then the same could be said for pretty much any program that's not Alabama, Georgia, OSU, Clemson, or Oklahoma.

Depends on your criteria I suppose, but being a top 10ish program for much of Franklin's tenure seems like a decent accomplishment to me. Unfortunately for them OSU has just been a buzzsaw for a good 10 years now.

CFB has been very top heavy since roughly the start of the playoff era. If PSU is one of the biggest underachieving teams then the same could be said for pretty much any program that's not Alabama, Georgia, OSU, Clemson, or Oklahoma.
58% win rate in conference for them the last 4 years. They're not just losing to OSU.

I would say Franklin isn't overpaid in the fact that all Big Ten coaches aren't overpaid.
You are running a $100 million a year operation, ensuring you are competitive is a big obligation.

58% winning percentage in the Big Ten isn't bad when you play MI and OSU every year.

I'm not high on Clifford. I give Tanner Morgan a higher ceiling this year than Clifford.

58% win rate in conference for them the last 4 years. They're not just losing to OSU.
You're not wrong about that, I guess it's a matter of whether the last 2 down years are more outlier or trend. Again from my view almost every program except for those elite few has seen some sort of down period in recent years, but time will tell.

Mel Tucker has a better win % at a worse school but I agree
Tucker only has a 2 year sample to base that off of, and prior to the MSU job his HC resume consists of one season at Colorado going 5-7, while Franklin won 9 games at Vanderbilt twice.

when talking about Penn State, I think you almost have to separate it into two eras - Pre-B1G and after joining B1G.

before joining the B1G - from 1968 to 1991, PSU finished in the top 10 13 times with 2 national titles and 2 runner-up finishes. (going by final AP ratings) -

Starting in 1993, PSU has finished in the top 10 9 times with 0 national titles. Highest finish 2nd in 1994. note: in 1994, PSU went 12-0 and finished 2nd to Nebraska in final AP poll........
since 1995, highest finish 3rd in 2005. finished out of the top-25 in 8 of last 12 years.

but they have been very consistent. from 2000 to 2004, PSU had 4 losing seasons in 5 years. but since 2005, only 1 losing season and that was a 4-5 finish in the covid season of 2020.

So - before B1G, a national power. Since joining B1G, a consistent winning team with some strong seasons, but not the national power they were as an independent.

Top Bottom