ESPN: Wisconsin-Purdue football game off due to coronavirus cases

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Wisconsin announced on Tuesday that its football game this weekend against Purdue has been canceled and team activities remain paused indefinitely due to the number of positive coronavirus cases within the program.

The Badgers originally canceled the game against Nebraska on Oct. 31, after the program had 12 positive tests, including starting quarterback Graham Mertz and head coach Paul Chryst. That number of positive cases then rose to 22, made up of 12 players and 10 staff members.

Athletic director Barry Alvarez initially announced the team would pause football activities for seven days on Oct. 28, but now says it will be indefinite as the program deals with the outbreak and it is canceling its second game with no plans to reschedule.

Go Gophers!!

They’ll do everything in their power to play the Michigan game, even if it’s a certain loss.

5-1 would still be very good position to win the West.

They’ll do everything in their power to play the Michigan game, even if it’s a certain loss.

I think that has been a given for these to cancelled games as well. The numbers are not working in their favor, though. Real possibility they go three weeks with no practice. Even if they clear enough to play Mich, it still will probably be two weeks without practice. Players can only go to the facility for meals and medical care, so they are basically on their own to physically stay in game ready shape. Ripe for injuries if they do play Mich.

Still getting the BIG and ESPN TV money?

I hope that doesn't happen to us. I don't like losing games but its better to have played and lost than to have not played at all.

I hope that doesn't happen to us. I don't like losing games but its better to have played and lost than to have not played at all.

Agreed, even if the results don't follow the live game experience will be huge for the guys on defense especially. Practice and film study are important but no better teacher then being out there in real game situations against an unfamiliar opponent.

Yes, and if say Northwestern is 7-1. The winner of the head-to-head goes to championship game.

They can't miss another game.

If they aren't hitting the conference levels of infection to cancel the games, they should have to forfeit. What is the conference going to do when their infection numbers are the same or close and they decide they suddenly feel comfortable playing once Mertz is back?

Agree. As long as our guys are healthy, they are basically get in reps during a game that gives them experience etc. This is to our advantage as I can't imagine players working out on their own is the same as with the team.

If they aren't hitting the conference levels of infection to cancel the games, they should have to forfeit. What is the conference going to do when their infection numbers are the same or close and they decide they suddenly feel comfortable playing once Mertz is back?
This is a good point as to Mertz. I'm sure all of this will be taken in consideration after the season ends. I'm not going to let it bother me though.

If MN-Illinois gets cancelled they could have us play Purdue and try and re-work who plays the week that was scheduled?

If MN-Illinois gets cancelled they could have us play Purdue and try and re-work who plays the week that was scheduled?
Cancelled games at that point would be:
wis vs Purdue
wis vs Neb
Min vs Illinois

We could shift our game with purdue up from the week of the 21st to this week and move our game with Illinois to the week of the 21st. Leaving wis vs Neb and wis vs Purdue. wis vs Neb could then be played since Neb originally played Purdue that week. Leaving you with these games having not been played:
wis vs Purdue
Neb vs Illinois

Not sure Neb or Purdue would go for that. Neb stands at a better shot for the west missing wisconsin instead of missing Illinois and Purdue has nothing to gain since they still miss the game vs wisconsin and they'd have a short time to prepare for us (and us for them).

In short, it would have the benefit of us not missing any games (though is missing one game worse than playing a game with only a few days to prepare?) and wisconsin gets a game back, however the value prop for Neb and Purdue probably isn't there.

Cancelled games at that point would be:
wis vs Purdue
wis vs Neb
Min vs Illinois

We could shift our game with purdue up from the week of the 21st to this week and move our game with Illinois to the week of the 21st. Leaving wis vs Neb and wis vs Purdue. wis vs Neb could then be played since Neb originally played Purdue that week. Leaving you with these games having not been played:
wis vs Purdue
Neb vs Illinois

Not sure Neb or Purdue would go for that. Neb stands at a better shot for the west missing wisconsin instead of missing Illinois and Purdue has nothing to gain since they still miss the game vs wisconsin and they'd have a short time to prepare for us (and us for them).

In short, it would have the benefit of us not missing any games (though is missing one game worse than playing a game with only a few days to prepare?) and wisconsin gets a game back, however the value prop for Neb and Purdue probably isn't there.
Plus then Us and Purdue have what, 3 days to gameplan? Don't think either coaching staff would go for that.

You know something about Illinois?

You know something about Illinois?
I think it's just a hypothetical question? Illinois hasn't had any more positives since this weekend, so without a outbreak now I doubt this game gets cancelled.

I think that has been a given for these to cancelled games as well. The numbers are not working in their favor, though. Real possibility they go three weeks with no practice. Even if they clear enough to play Mich, it still will probably be two weeks without practice. Players can only go to the facility for meals and medical care, so they are basically on their own to physically stay in game ready shape. Ripe for injuries if they do play Mich.
Hence why I would just do power running all game long. Punish their defense with big OL, rotate RBs all game, save your QB from taking hits. Don't worry about winning.

Top Bottom