ESPN - Special “ The class that saved coach K”

alchemy2u

Reaction score
On ESPN right now is a special program called The Class That Saved Coach K.

I guess that I am not the only one that thought coach K’s early career had troubles.... they talk about the Iron Dukers calling for him to be fired, students had signs, players left, coach V was hired at same time and already had a championship, etc...

just reminiscing about our early Pitino vs early Coach K career discussions when everyone thought I was crazy....

IN year 6 at Duke he finished 1st in the conference and 2nd in the NCAA tourney. In year 7 he went above .500 in the ACC in total.

IN year 6 at Duke he finished 1st in the conference and 2nd in the NCAA tourney. In year 7 he went above .500 in the ACC in total.
Duke wasn’t in as much trouble as the U was either if I remember right. Either way he wouldn’t have made it in today’s day and age

Comparing Coach K and Lil' Ricky is asinine.

Any coach who encourages his players to flop, should be suspended for several years.

Please now defend the flopping.......

I hear RP's conference record is 40 wins and 70 losses...….

To be fair, Coach K had the #1 recruiting class in the country that year. I think if Pitino had the #1 recruiting class in the country we would all be a little easier on him.

To be fair, Coach K had the #1 recruiting class in the country that year. I think if Pitino had the #1 recruiting class in the country we would all be a little easier on him.
Part of coaching is recruiting. Pitino is a average at best recruiter. That gets you where we are right now.

Money does incredible things. Coach K is the largest cheater in the NCAA.

The classes that sunk Pitino is the next ESPN special.

On ESPN right now is a special program called The Class That Saved Coach K.

I guess that I am not the only one that thought coach K’s early career had troubles.... they talk about the Iron Dukers calling for him to be fired, students had signs, players left, coach V was hired at same time and already had a championship, etc...

just reminiscing about our early Pitino vs early Coach K career discussions when everyone thought I was crazy....

I do think you're crazy. Anyone who would earnestly compare Mike Krzyzewski's basketball resume to Richard Pitino's in any way, shape, or form is in need of medication and probably therapy.

Did any of you watch the special? Then don’t go spouting off, coach K was on the hot seat at Duke.

A while ago, in another thread, I talked about how there are many “great coaches” that went through a learning phase. Coach K did not start his head coach career at Duke. Pitino has a better first seven years than coach K did during his first seven years. The point was that Pitino played out his learning years at a much higher level of play than most other coaches. Etc, etc, you can dig up the old thread discussion if you want record, W-L, tourney appearance, etc comparisons. I am not going to rehash it all over again.

I am in no way comparing the current Pitino vs the current coach K. Just pointing that even ESPN thought enough about it to make a special. It was very entertaining.

Pitino has a better first seven years than coach K did during his first seven years.

Well yeah, because Krzyzewski was at Army for the first five years while Pitino was at Minnesota for the last six. It's pretty tough to make the Tournament at an independent, particularly a service academy. Talk about comparing oranges to bananas. How about comparing apples to apples - Pitino's first six years at Minnesota to Krzyzewski's first six at Duke? Whoops - Krzyzewski had three Tournament appearances, a conference title, and lost in the national championship game.

The point was that Pitino played out his learning years at a much higher level of play than most other coaches.

So what? The Big Ten isn't the place for on-the-job training. It's assumed that you come in prepared to compete at a high level - unless of course your last name is Pitino. You shouldn't get training wheels at Minnesota or any other Big Ten job.

I do think you're crazy. Anyone who would earnestly compare Mike Krzyzewski's basketball resume to Richard Pitino's in any way, shape, or form is in need of medication and probably therapy.
Pretty sure Alchemy or anyone else has never tried to state Richard will become MK, only that coaches can get off to slow starts and experience later success. K has only been used as an example as someone who was on the hot seat and then went on to have a great career.

Well yeah, because Krzyzewski was at Army for the first five years while Pitino was at Minnesota for the last six. It's pretty tough to make the Tournament at an independent, particularly a service academy. Talk about comparing oranges to bananas. How about comparing apples to apples - Pitino's first six years at Minnesota to Krzyzewski's first six at Duke? Whoops - Krzyzewski had three Tournament appearances, a conference title, and lost in the national championship game.

So what? The Big Ten isn't the place for on-the-job training. It's assumed that you come in prepared to compete at a high level - unless of course your last name is Pitino. You shouldn't get training wheels at Minnesota or any other Big Ten job.

Our prior AD hired a young, inexperienced coach and you would have to be naive to think he wouldn’t have some growing pains.

Blame the AD who hired him, not RP.

Pretty sure Alchemy or anyone else has never tried to state Richard will become MK, only that coaches can get off to slow starts and experience later success. K has only been used as an example as someone who was on the hot seat and then went on to have a great career.
Exactly

Our prior AD hired a young, inexperienced coach and you would have to be naive to think he wouldn’t have some growing pains.

If it was anticipated he would have growing pains, he shouldn't have been hired. If he needed more seasoning (he did), the on-the-job training needed to occur on someone else's dime.

Pitino has admitted that he was given a shot very early. Also, like his dad said, he would have been nuts not to accept the Minnesota job. He also had offers from some other smaller school.

Pitino should have taken the job. I do not blame him for that. The moron that did the hiring was in so far over his head and was scum.

Top Bottom