ESPN: SEC commissioner Greg Sankey says COVID-19 concerns won't lead to rescheduled football games

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

SEC media days kicked off on Monday with commissioner Greg Sankey announcing that six of the conference's 14 football teams have reached an 80% mark for vaccinations.

"That number needs to grow and grow rapidly," Sankey said. "We have learned how to manage through a COVID environment, but we do not yet have control of a COVID environment."

One thing the conference can control is what it will do if a team is unable to play because of coronavirus issues. Sankey said games won't be postponed and has recommended that the conference removes the 53-man roster minimum that was put in place last year.

The message to schools is "You're expected to play as scheduled," Sankey said.

"That means your team needs to be healthy to compete, and if not, that game won't be rescheduled," he said. "And thus, to dispose of the game, the 'forfeit' word comes up at this point."

Go Gophers!!

I wish the NCAA or the conferences or schools ... if they really didn't want it to be a problem, would just require the vaccine to play (extraordinary exceptions allowed of course).

I'd hate to see some players miss out.

Last edited:

I bet if Alabama is in a position where they'd have to forfeit they'd find a way to work around it.

Now that everyone has a chance to get the vaccine I don't see why this is still a big issue. There shouldn't be testing requirements unless players show symptoms and only players who show symptoms and test positive should have to sit just like what the PGA Tour is doing.

There shouldn't be testing requirements unless players show symptoms and only players who show symptoms and test positive should have to sit just like what the PGA Tour is doing.
Bingo.

Stop testing healthy people and this magically goes away.

Top Bottom