ESPN Power Rankings

I would argue that they are important. Not that they are accurate but it is easier to stay in the rankings then to get into them and eventually they do matter for getting into the postseason.

Bilas gets a bad wrap alot of times for being biased but he is really good analyst. As is Lavin. But the best analyst on ESPN, and it isn't even close, is Bob Knight he has forgotten more about basketball than most of those other guys have ever knew.

On the other end is Dicky V. I call hardly watch him call a game. Sure he has some great stories but I think I know more about basketball than him.

Dick Vitale is super annoying during the NBA draft with the way he gushes over the prototypical 'college' player...Hansborough, Redick, etc...And I can't stand his Big East/ACC colored glasses, but you can't deny that he's a pretty entertaining character to listen to during a game. I don't agree with his opinions but he adds a little spice, and is usually pretty fair to both teams within a game. He'll just back whoever is playing the best to annoying degrees

I'm not really old enough to know how Vitale's bias (if any) has leaned in the past, but he and Katz don't think a lot of the Gophers lately. If I remember correctly, those 2 ranked mn lower than others last year b/f the B10 skid and havn't rated them highly ever since. I'm wondering about the Bilas vote. Hopefully he is seeing something that most others aren't, but rating the gophers 13th after the news of the suspensions is a bit astonishing, espcially when most others don't include them in the top 25.

Bilas is high on the Big Ten in general, as he's the only one of the 10 to put Michigan State ahead of Kansas, and has six B10 teams in his top 18.

ESPN's Big 3

Bilas, Lavin and Gottlieb are the three guys I listen to. Yes, Gottlieb is more annoying than the other two, and no I don't always agree with them, but I'll listen to what they say because I think they all do their homework. Bilas gets a little too lovey-dovey with the coaches (like Vitale) once in a while, but he knows his stuff. Lav is far & away my favorite. He always adds some historical perspective, is a real student of the history of college basketball.

Top Bottom