ESPN: North Carolina players not in favor of proposed 12-team College Football Playoff, says coach Mack Brown

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

North Carolina coach Mack Brown said Thursday that during a team discussion about the expanded 12-team College Football Playoff, his players were against the format and preferred six to eight teams.

During a wide-ranging Zoom with reporters, Brown mentioned that ACC commissioner Jim Phillips had asked all coaches to get feedback from players about playoff expansion. Last month, the CFP board of managers authorized commissioners to move forward with expanding from four to 12 teams, with an implementation date to be determined.

North Carolina linebacker Jeremiah Gemmel told ESPN that nobody on the team raised their hand in favor of a 12-team playoff. He said a few players preferred to stay at four, while the majority was split between six and eight teams.

"I feel like 12 teams is too many games in a season for players who want to play long-term football," Gemmel said in a phone interview. "Sixteen, 17 games in a season is a lot of wear and tear on the body, especially for guys who don't come out when they're playing."

Players also felt strongly that conference champions should get an automatic spot, in addition to the top Group of 5 champion. Under the proposed 12-team format, there would be no automatic bids. In addition, Brown said some players wondered whether there were 12 teams good enough to win the national championship.

"Because they wanted the playoffs to be about who is good enough to win all the games or win the national championship, not just have a bunch of teams involved," Brown said.

Go Gophers!!

Did anybody explain to the kids how many FCS games there are every year? They don't seem concerned about too many games. hmmm....

Did anybody explain to the kids how many FCS games there are every year? They don't seem concerned about too many games. hmmm....
They also aren’t thinking about where they will get drafted. The ones that are pull a Trey Lance.

12 teams is the only way a team like North Carolina is ever going to get into the playoff -- as the 2nd team from the ACC -- so that's a silly comment in the first place.

Silly to say there are no automatic bids. Defacto, the P5 will each have an automatic bid.

If there is a freak situation where a low or even unranked team wins a P5 conf champ game in an upset, I still doubt the ranking committee isn't going to put them above the 2nd highest ranked G5 champ. And in that rarest of cases, they'll probably still get an at-large.

Lastly, only two teams out of 130 FBS are ever going to play 17 games in a season (12 + conf champ + 4 if no bye).

Vast majority of teams will play 12 or 13, as they do now.

Agree with UNC players — 6 teams, conference champs only + G5 beauty pageant winner. You drop a groaner in-conference and miss out on the tourney tough ****. No do-overs.

The 12 team thing is solely about to money. Gross.

12 teams is the only way a team like North Carolina is ever going to get into the playoff -- as the 2nd team from the ACC -- so that's a silly comment in the first place.

Silly to say there are no automatic bids. Defacto, the P5 will each have an automatic bid.

If there is a freak situation where a low or even unranked team wins a P5 conf champ game in an upset, I still doubt the ranking committee isn't going to put them above the 2nd highest ranked G5 champ. And in that rarest of cases, they'll probably still get an at-large.

Lastly, only two teams out of 130 FBS are ever going to play 17 games in a season (12 + conf champ + 4 if no bye).

Exactly, the new proposal was very pro UNC. Mack Brown must be getting senile to lose control of the narrative

Agree with UNC players — 6 teams, conference champs only + G5 beauty pageant winner. You drop a groaner in-conference and miss out on the tourney tough ****. No do-overs.

Yep, nfl playoffs are horrible, letting all those teams and fans into the party.

Yep, nfl playoffs are horrible, letting all those teams and fans into the party.

The NFL has its problems but does have a bias-free meritocracy for post season entry. Not the case for the proposed 12 team playoff.

The NFL and FBS should consider a round robin or double round robin post season. We don’t want anyone feeling like they’re left out or weren’t given a fair shot.

Eight teams is my preference. Six and 12 have that "play-in" feel because byes would be needed.

The NCAA is already saying there are only 4 teams good enough to win the national championship with a 4 bye system. The 12 team format would essentially give 8 other teams a one or two game extension. I seriously doubt a team that plays in the first round would win a tournament like this unless they were ranked lower because of injuries or some team was ranked higher because of title bias. In NFL playoff wildcards win because the talent gap is so small. In college the talent gap widens quickly and makes it more difficult to pull back to back upsets.

Have you seen North Carolina's recent recruiting? I think it's rather bold to pencil them in as an also ran.

Have you seen North Carolina's recent recruiting? I think it's rather bold to pencil them in as an also ran.
I said nothing of the sort.

Who would say that being the #2 team in the ACC -- behind Clemson -- means you're an "also ran"? Ridiculous

8 is better. No byes.
I would like 8 with 6 auto bids or 12 with 10 auto bids that can turn into at larges if the auto qualifying team isn’t top 25.

My worry with the expanded playoff is devaluation of regular season. Making fewer at larges and emphasizing conference championships is what fixes that worry

I agree with Word and PMW on 8 to eliminate the bye. Awarding a bye to the supposed top two teams smacks of the old system of determining a national champion through voting as opposed to having it determined on the field. There would be constant haggling over who deserved the bye and who didn't. There always has to be a line as to who is in and who is out and I think eight is a cozy enough number of entrants with all the sorting thereafter done on the field.

Eight teams is my preference. Six and 12 have that "play-in" feel because byes would be needed.

Eight is the right number. Gives a few more teams a chance without completely watering down the playoffs with teams that have no chance. Really.....teams outside the top four are still going to be major longshots.

Eight is the right number. Gives a few more teams a chance without completely watering down the playoffs with teams that have no chance. Really.....teams outside the top four are still going to be major longshots.
I think an expanded playoff will even the difference between the top 2-3 and teams 4-12

You sometimes see mediocre 6-6 teams beat a team that wins a national title (see Virginia tech beating Ohio state)

One thing that increases that chance is a condensed schedule and injuries.

A 4 week break for teams to gameplan and get healthy means a less talented team is less likely to pull the upset. Especially if the more talented in is completely dialed in mentally. But if teams have to play a game 2 weeks after a conference championship while only knowing their opponents for 1 week…there is less time for the less talented team to come up with a plan to spring the upset but there is less time for the more talented team to come up with plans to win all possible variations of the game.

You can come up with the best arguments in the world for 8/no byes, on paper, all you want.

TV wanted 12 and 6 at-large, to have more games and they think will be between the top 4 and the four winners being the at-larges being #2 teams from P5 confs. They’re paying for it, so they get it.

I think 8 is right too. Can a 12th seed or 16th seed win the National Championship? No, very unlikely. Can an 8th seed? Maybe, if the right things fall into place.

Top Bottom