ESPN: NCAA targets mid-September for decision on college basketball start

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

The NCAA is prepared to shift the Nov. 10 start date for college basketball if necessary, according to a statement released Monday by Dan Gavitt, senior vice president of basketball.

By mid-September, the governing body will announce its first crucial decision about the upcoming season. Per NCAA rules, full practices can start 42 days before a team's first game. In the statement, Gavitt said "contingency" plans have been developed that will allow the NCAA to move the start date for practices and games if necessary due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Last week, the Pac-12 announced that the earliest its teams will play basketball is Jan. 1. Speculation throughout college basketball has centered on conference-only schedules for multiple leagues.

"In the coming weeks, the NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Basketball Oversight Committees will take the lead with me in a collaborative process of finalizing any recommendations for consideration by the NCAA Division I Council for the start of the college basketball season," Gavitt said in the statement. "By mid-September, we will provide direction about whether the season and practice start on time or a short-term delay is necessitated by the ongoing pandemic."

Go Gophers!!

Football tells us the NCCA is about as impactful in making these decisions as parents. Conferences will decide if and when they play basketball, not the NCAA.

Football tells us the NCCA is about as impactful in making these decisions as parents. Conferences will decide if and when they play basketball, not the NCAA.
I don't think you're wrong, but even in football, the NCAA does have some regulation authority. Like the article is talking about, it technically has decision power over how early fall camp can start, for example.

Also, in P5 football, the NCAA has no jurisdiction over the post-season. But in basketball, they run the post-season.

I'm guessing in some cases it might even get down to the school level, North Carolina just closed in person classes, I highly doubt they will allow the basketball team to play if that directive remains in place.

I don't think you're wrong, but even in football, the NCAA does have some regulation authority. Like the article is talking about, it technically has decision power over how early fall camp can start, for example.

Also, in P5 football, the NCAA has no jurisdiction over the post-season. But in basketball, they run the post-season.
When they canceled the tournament last year I read somewhere that 80% of the NCAA's operating budget is funded by the that event. They are not going to want to take that hit 2 years in a row. They may not start on time but I think they find a way to cobble a season together.

When they canceled the tournament last year I read somewhere that 80% of the NCAA's operating budget is funded by the that event. They are not going to want to take that hit 2 years in a row. They may not start on time but I think they find a way to cobble a season together.
I agree, although you're talking March Madness, not the season per se. But to get to MM you need some kind of season, I would think.

Unless things look dire for some reason, which I don't expect, then there will be some kind of winter/spring basketball. Fall, not so sure.

People said the same thing about football.

The season had to be played because too much money was at stake.

Look what happened to football.

I'm guessing in some cases it might even get down to the school level, North Carolina just closed in person classes, I highly doubt they will allow the basketball team to play if that directive remains in place.
UNC football is still practicing right now

Top Bottom