ESPN: Michigan-Ohio State football game called off due to COVID-19 cases with Wolverines

With Ohio and Northwestern set unless of course COVID. Here are my requests for games now that Indiana and Purdue are canceled.

Northwestern - Ohio State
Minnesota - Wisconsin
Purdue - Indiana
Iowa - Michigan
Nebraska - Rutgers
Maryland - MSU
Illinois - Penn State

No rematches in the bunch

IU should threaten to leave the B1G if denied the opportunity to play in the championship game.

Obviously joking...but still making a point. F**k Ohio State. Indiana has earned the right to play in the B1G championship game based on the rules established before competition started. Allowing OSU the chance now is a HUGE FU to the rest of the league. Yeah yeah, money talks. But if so, the B1G is now undeniably the Big 1, Little 13.

The Big Ten could screw itself from the CFP if they don't let OSU play the championship game

Dodd's got an article on CBS Sports saying that the Big Ten must choose integrity or profit. Pretty sure they already chose profit by bringing PSU (and those that followed) in a quarter century ago.

Wonder how often CBS has done that..?

Noble goal? I guess the only thing we've learned about 2020 is that you should be ready for changes.
I think it would be silly to not let OSU be in the title game though because of some arbitrary minimum number of games they decided on. I doubt they envisioned this many games getting canceled when they made that rule.

Indiana should have "missed due to Covid" their matchup vs. Ohio St then, playing that strategy gets them to 5-0 with Ohio St. only 4-0 #profit

guess I didn't know the B1G rules would be guaranteed as well as NFL contracts

The Big Ten could screw itself from the CFP if they don't let OSU play the championship game

if Kevin Warren just admits this, I'll sit down quietly

Bunch of cowards at the B1G office.
I think they got this right. OSU won the division in 5 games and the 6th was meaningless win or lose. They were within 2 games of the league average for games played which was the basic requirement. The B1G got right.

Total b-llsh-t! OSU played two fewer games than IU and essentially got a bye the week before they played IU to practice and gameplan (MD was the team on covid protocol). Who's to say OSU would be undefeated if they played seven games without the gift of a bye before IU?

Meh. Yes they coddled OSU, but Indiana had their shot and lost. So I can't be outraged. When will they decide on MN/Wis etc.?

I think they got this right. OSU won the division in 5 games and the 6th was meaningless win or lose. They were within 2 games of the league average for games played which was the basic requirement. The B1G got right.
Correct. They worked hastily to come up with rules.

the intent of the rule was to prevent a 5-0 from not playing a game because they knew they had division locked up. Wanted to encourage playing.

The intent wasn’t to say 6-1 with a head to head loss was better than 5-0

If Michigan was 5-0 and Ohio state was 6-1 and Ohio state was supposed to play Michigan this week but it got canceled...it would send Ohio state. They didn’t write a perfect rule because they did it hastily. They’d have included stipulation for a clear division winner if they could’ve re-written the rule.

I think at schools should be allowed to replace their Spring Game with an exhibition game against another school.

Total b-llsh-t! OSU played two fewer games than IU and essentially got a bye the week before they played IU to practice and gameplan (MD was the team on covid protocol). Who's to say OSU would be undefeated if they played seven games without the gift of a bye before IU?
I have to ask, what were your expectations from the conference that has arguably f'd this entire season up since July more than any other conference in the country?

When it clearly & intentionally benefits one team above the other 13, yes.
Not picking a fight, just asking; is anyone aware that Ohio St is the ONLY team in the B1G to have had two games canceled due to someone else's COVID issues? The only team to lose the opportunity to be eligible, and not due to their own doing with COVID issues.

The conference needs tOSU in the CFB Playoffs, and to most anyone watching the games, they are one of the 4 best teams playing this year.

Not picking a fight, just asking; is anyone aware that Ohio St is the ONLY team in the B1G to have had two games canceled due to someone else's COVID issues? The only team to lose the opportunity to be eligible, and not due to their own doing with COVID issues.

The conference needs tOSU in the CFB Playoffs, and to most anyone watching the games, they are one of the 4 best teams playing this year.

Good points.

The Big Ten went to No Contest rather than having the team with COVID problems forfeit because they wanted the schools to be honest with their assessment and announcements. Completely understand why they did it.

Though yes, tOSU did get hurt by it. Generally that would make me happy. Just not so much this year.

Oh and right now on BTN Mitch Leidner scored a TD to put #25 Minnesota ahead of #23 Nebraska with 3:25 left in the game.

Come on Gophers! Hang onto that lead!;)

As I argued above, you could flip that around and say OSU had an unfair advantage over IU. They got an extra week to prepare for IU, but IU played their seven games straight through. Part of the reason they made that six-game rule in the first place.

The conference doesn't need OSU in the playoffs. I know we like to think of these things as life & death, but they're really not. The B1G will continue to be one of (if not the) richest conferences, OSU will continue to dominate the B1G, and the B1G will continue to duke it out with the SEC as the best conference. None of that will change whether OSU makes the CFP this year or not. Sure, the money's nice, but the B1G has already missed out on 2 of 6 CFPs, and we survived.

IU should threaten to leave the B1G if denied the opportunity to play in the championship game.

Obviously joking...but still making a point. F**k Ohio State. Indiana has earned the right to play in the B1G championship game based on the rules established before competition started. Allowing OSU the chance now is a HUGE FU to the rest of the league. Yeah yeah, money talks. But if so, the B1G is now undeniably the Big 1, Little 13.
You can't be serious.

They "earned" it ... because they lost the head-to-head match against Ohio State, who is undefeated.

Silliest nonsense I've read in a long time. "Good job son, you really earned it, by losing! Made me proud today!"

Top Bottom