ESPN: Memphis' Penny Hardaway calls recruiting impact of G League 'huge'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Memphis basketball coach Penny Hardaway, no stranger to the nuances and hurdles of the recruiting trail, says it will only get tougher with the entry of the G League.

Hardaway, speaking to ESPN's The Jump in an interview aired Thursday, said it came as an unpleasant surprise when the NBA began allowing high school players to sign with a G League pathway program.

"It's going to have a huge impact, because it's just a recruiting war right now when it comes to that," Hardaway said. "But I think it's going to affect us because we're recruiting a bunch of five-stars."

Go Gophers!!

Seems to me that guys that really have no interest in college and can earn decent money in the G league just won't go to college. Lots of figures being thrown out about the benefits of that year of college but I'm not sure I buy it, did not going to college impact Lebron or Kobe's endorsement earnings.

The one and dones only have the NBA $$$ as their goal and thus expected to be compensated for their year playing BB in college.
The G League will hopefully reduce some of the corruption in recruiting but could also lead to a salary battle between some colleges and the G League.

The one and dones who are good enough can go. I’m good with the college game with guys who hang around. I just like to watch basketball that isn’t professional. The NBA holds my attention for about 5 min then I turn it off. Guys like Daniel who develop and leave early I’m okay with. The ones who just come for a year and have no intention of staying after the G league can have.

Why is this even news? Great scoop there ESPN.

Maybe the G-League will clean up college basketball and even the playing field by removing the 5-star stacked teams from the game.

The 5-star stacked teams often had the talent to overcome their lack of experience. If they now have to fill those teams with the next level of talent, the experienced, well rounded teams will have a greater chance of beating them. Those top teams will still get many of the best remaining players, but the talent gap will be less.

Thrilled to see kids that really do not want to go to college get paid to play basketball. The President of the G league is very aware of the need and the opportunity. His own highly talented is suited for a longer college full experience. Most of the one and done centric schools have not won very many conference or national titles. They will still get a high % of the high end talent but this all plays right into that favorite way of mine, target kids and families that cherish the whole experience and still have a chance at the league. Those families and players are contacting those coaches and schools. Development both as a player, a person a team, a meaningful degree (not some typical jock degree) and still pursue a professional career if your that kid. Will be interesting.

I know we are supposed to love when the millionaire coaches have a harder time doing their jobs and I'm on board with getting the guys who are more about their brand or with clearly no interest in college basketball out of college basketball, but I can see where this is going to be incredibly frustrating on the recruiting front.

I just saw the No. 1 recruit in 2021 (Kuminga) listed the NBA G-League in his top-5 list. How does that impact Duke/Kentucky/Texas Tech who are all also recruiting him? Probably not a ton, as they'll be able to rebound (especially Duke and Kentucky) if this kid chooses the G-League late (which feels likely since the top prospects more often than not, take forever to decide). What's the trickle down from that though? This kid strings those programs along - then picks the G-League. Those schools string a crop of low-tier 5 stars or high-end 4 stars along until said decision is made. Said low-tier 5 stars and high-end 4 stars string other schools along until the spot at Duke opens up and the cycle continues. Isn't that the potential drawback to this?

I know we are supposed to love when the millionaire coaches have a harder time doing their jobs and I'm on board with getting the guys who are more about their brand or with clearly no interest in college basketball out of college basketball, but I can see where this is going to be incredibly frustrating on the recruiting front.

I just saw the No. 1 recruit in 2021 (Kuminga) listed the NBA G-League in his top-5 list. How does that impact Duke/Kentucky/Texas Tech who are all also recruiting him? Probably not a ton, as they'll be able to rebound (especially Duke and Kentucky) if this kid chooses the G-League late (which feels likely since the top prospects more often than not, take forever to decide). What's the trickle down from that though? This kid strings those programs along - then picks the G-League. Those schools string a crop of low-tier 5 stars or high-end 4 stars along until said decision is made. Said low-tier 5 stars and high-end 4 stars string other schools along until the spot at Duke opens up and the cycle continues. Isn't that the potential drawback to this?
More important then ever then to target kids who fit your program. What you're describing toward the end is something already happening.

Top Bottom