ESPN: Five-star college basketball recruit Patrick Baldwin to play for father at Milwaukee over Duke, Virginia, Wisconsin

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Five-star basketball recruit Patrick Baldwin Jr. has committed to Milwaukee of the Horizon League, he told ESPN on Wednesday, spurning offers from the likes of Duke, Georgetown and Virginia to join his father Patrick Baldwin Sr., the Panthers' head coach since 2017.

"I will be playing for my dad at Milwaukee," the younger Baldwin told ESPN. "I had some great options, which made me not rush through the process. The thought of playing for my dad was too good to pass up. In today's day and age, you see mid-majors having great success, most recently Loyola and Oral Roberts."

Go Gophers!!

If I were a high level recruit right now I would take a hard look at Milwaukee. Couple stud players come along for the ride, go dominate the Horizon league, secure and automatic bid to the tournament and then go make a run at the championship.

This would be a wonderful trend, if youre a 5 star or high 4 star player, blaze your own road and help a lesser program to success, instead of going to Duke, Kentucky, even now to an extent Gonzaga.

I would feel your NBA draft stock would go much higher if you're able to help carry a team to the tourney that traditionally doesnt go

One can dream

Very good news for the college basketball world. Hope we can see more of this

UWM Panthers must have quite the athletic center to have enticed him

I’m surprised they didn’t reject his commitment in favor of pursuing lower ranked players who would stay for 4 years. This will be terrible for the program’s stability!
When your dad is the coach I don't think that is of much concern. If you know you are spending limited time in CBB, might as well be with your dad!

Well, quite a few sons go to play for their father, so it's not likely a real trend-setter. The kid moved to Wisconsin when his dad got the UWM gig as a frosh after growing up mostly in Chicago while his dad was at Northwestern

Tony Bennett should have taken the Wisconsin job. He wouldn't have recruiting misses like this....
He would never take the UW job. He recommended Gard to Alvarez. He has a better job at a better school , close to his kids and getting his wife back to the south. Plus all those conference titles and the National title.

His father is on a slippery slope and having his star kid playing for him will at least give him another year.

If I were a high level recruit right now I would take a hard look at Milwaukee. Couple stud players come along for the ride, go dominate the Horizon league, secure and automatic bid to the tournament and then go make a run at the championship.
Not sure how many high level recruits have fathers that head coach at a mid major

Very good news for the college basketball world. Hope we can see more of this
I wonder if the new transfer rule aided this decision. If Dad gets let go or moves on, or if he simply re-thinks the decision, he can transfer without worrying about finding an Aunt in Greenville with bad allergies who needs him to move closer and then waiting for the NCAA to spin the wheel of transfer eligibility.

He would never take the UW job. He recommended Gard to Alvarez. He has a better job at a better school , close to his kids and getting his wife back to the south. Plus all those conference titles and the National title.
Don't forget the giant annuities!

Didn't Bo Ryan pretty much leave Barry no choice but to hire Gaard?

Don't forget the giant annuities!

Didn't Bo Ryan pretty much leave Barry no choice but to hire Gaard?
Barry could have named him interim but after talking with both Bennetts and others , they all told him Gard was the right guy for the job. If it was about the money, UW can not come close to what JPJ has done and will do. Or turn down the Knicks at 9 million per, IU and Texas at 5.6, UCLA more than that.

Barry could have named him interim but after talking with both Bennetts and others , they all told him Gard was the right guy for the job. If it was about the money, UW can not come close to what JPJ has done and will do. Or turn down the Knicks at 9 million per, IU and Texas at 5.6, UCLA more than that.
Bo Ryan did the exact same thing Dick Bennett did when he quit on the team after 3 games into the season by recommending Brad Soderberg for the job.! Lets hope this Bennett recommendation ends better. that is If they indeed really made that suggestion.

I wonder if the new transfer rule aided this decision. If Dad gets let go or moves on, or if he simply re-thinks the decision, he can transfer without worrying about finding an Aunt in Greenville with bad allergies who needs him to move closer and then waiting for the NCAA to spin the wheel of transfer eligibility.

He will transfer his skills to the NBA after a year. He’s staying home. Staying home grants his dad some breathing room at UW—M.

Bo Ryan did the exact same thing Dick Bennett did when he quit on the team after 3 games into the season by recommending Brad Soderberg for the job.! Lets hope this Bennett recommendation ends better. that is If they indeed really made that suggestion.
It is already ending better. Doubt the information all you want. Ask Alvarez if it is true. He will tell you.

I can name 2 current players. Maybe I’m missing some. AJ Green and now Patrick Baldwin.
Only other one I can really remember was Ray Macullum Jr playing for his Dad at Detroit, ranked 26th in 2010 class. RJ Hunter also played for his Dad at Georgia state, but he was ranked 283rd in his class, really outplayed his rank though

Top Bottom