ESPN Bowl Games Schedule:

Ugh? January 2nd?

Seriously?

Does the NFL matter THAT much?

Thanks, Bleed.

4 Big Ten bowls at the same time? Jan 2 at noon/1pm. Ouch.

Ugh? January 2nd?

Seriously?

Does the NFL matter THAT much?

Yes the NFL does matter THAT much. This is one of the reasons given for not being able to do a playoff. The playoffs would have to be done during the week to avoid the NFL playoffs.

What I don't get is, why not do the big time bowls on Saturday then and move the bowls for the 31st back or to Monday.

That is to say, why not play the good matchups at a time that people can actually watch them? It boggles the mind.

It's been a tradition of mine to go to a barstool all day on New Years Day and watch the bowl games, now I'm not sure I'm going to be able to watch any of the "New Years Day" game at all. It just seems asinine to play them at noon on a Monday, if that Monday isn't New Years Day.

Well, my tradition is a five year tradition, as I didn't really start following college football seriously until 2006. So my coping mechanisms aren't fully developed.

Even if they did it in 2005, I would have thought it was idiotic back then. I don't see, "play the games while most of the country is at work" as a reasonable solution to the problem of the bowl games landing on an NFL Sunday.

I dunno, maybe I'll ask for the 2nd off of work.

Well, my tradition is a five year tradition, as I didn't really start following college football seriously until 2006. So my coping mechanisms aren't fully developed.

Even if they did it in 2005, I would have thought it was idiotic back then. I don't see, "play the games while most of the country is at work" as a reasonable solution to the problem of the bowl games landing on an NFL Sunday.

I dunno, maybe I'll ask for the 2nd off of work.

I'd check with your employer before asking for time off - most places are closed on 1/2 if New Year's Day is on a Sunday.

http://www.opm.gov/operating_status_schedules/fedhol/2012.asp

I'm not sure about "most". I know state and federal employees all get it off, but in my experience that there are a lot of people who don't get the "observed" day off.

I know in advance that I don't have it off. My employer doesn't do "observed" holidays. Been here for eight years now. I remember bringing up the subject a few years ago.

I'm not sure about "most". I know state and federal employees all get it off, but in my experience that there are a lot of people who don't get the "observed" day off.

I know in advance that I don't have it off. My employer doesn't do "observed" holidays. Been here for eight years now. I remember bringing up the subject a few years ago.

In my experience, almost everyone gets Jan. 2 off when New Year's falls on Sunday. TV ratings for the bowl games don't reflect any change from 1/1 to 1/2, so somebody's at home watching these games. Sucks that you're the exception to the rule.

I won't say most, but definitely plenty of people do get Jan. 2 off, but yes, there is a segment getting majorly screwed. But at the same time, could you imagine if they had a full NFL schedule, plus a full NYD bowl schedule on the same day? People would have a fit about that too. Or are you suggesting the NFL should move their Sunday schedule to another day to accommodate college football? The NFL has a tradition of playing football on Sundays, why should they move that cause college football's schedule changes every year?

There is no way college football pushes the NFL out of the way, just ain't happening.

Also, if you have vacation time, could you possibly use it that Monday to get the day off? It's unfair you'd have to, but if you REALLY wanna be home to watch the games, could that be an option? I'd think if you ask for it off this early, it wouldn't be a problem to get it.

[B said:
Thanks, Bleed.[/B]

MrGopher...Don't ever confuse Bleed with the Dr.Don. Bleed has great insight and threads, I, Dr.Don, am just a dumb$hit.

MrGopher...Don't ever confuse Bleed with the Dr.Don. Bleed has great insight and threads, I, Dr.Don, am just a dumb$hit.

My mistake! I had just got done reading Bleed's link to the DL Wilhite article right before I found my way to this thread. After all this time I just start to assume that all threads worth reading come from Bleed - who I'm starting to suspect has some sort of link-providing superpowers.

My mistake! I had just got done reading Bleed's link to the DL Wilhite article right before I found my way to this thread. After all this time I just start to assume that all threads worth reading come from Bleed - who I'm starting to suspect has some sort of link-providing superpowers.

MrGopher...apology accepted. I just do not like anyone as astute as Bleed to be confused with a jerk like me. He, LadyGopher, and a few others are awesome. Me? I am NOT. Just ask diehard, etal, on the OffTopic Board. :)

Thanks, Bleed.

4 Big Ten bowls at the same time? Jan 2 at noon/1pm. Ouch.

Doesn't seem to make much sense. It divides the audience, and you would think they would want to spread them out as much as possible to maximize ratings.

If January 1st is a Sunday, the traditional New Years games and the Tournament of Roses parade have always been on the 2nd. It was like that even when I was a kid back in the 60s & 70s.

I worked for a school district that had classes on Jan. 2 back in '05. It was the first day back from Christmas break.
Needless to say, I was sick that day.

MrGopher...apology accepted. I just do not like anyone as astute as Bleed to be confused with a jerk like me. He, LadyGopher, and a few others are awesome. Me? I am NOT. Just ask diehard, etal, on the OffTopic Board. :)

Yeah, sometimes I don't feel all too welcome over there either.

Top Bottom