ESPN Big10Blog - Gophers Finally Get a Chance to Celebrate

Favorite photos from Saturday:

fbminny2010-298.jpg

fbminny2010-303.jpg

fbminny2010-314.jpg

This is what I love about college football, every win matters. I remember back when both Green Bay and Tampa Bay were bad teams, people would call the game the "Bay of Pigs". In the NFL, if you are out of the playoff picture, they call the games "meaningless". But not in college football, the game itself matters, it's not just a bowl game, a conference championship or a national championships. These things matter, of course, but in college football the games are not simply the means to get to the post season. Winning a game to have two wins instead of one, to avoid tying the worst record ever, to avoid last place, really does matter.

Some people don't get it, they really don't understand college football at all. They deride fans and players for cheering getting the second win of the season. I pity them. This game is going to go down as one of the unheralded big games. I love the media guide, it's a great wealth of Gopher history. But it doesn't tell the whole story. Someone looking at the media guide, and seeing the 2 win (ok, we can still get three) season might not grasp how big a deal it was to pull out the win. It will show the score, but won't tell you about the clutch comeback. They might be able to guess at how big a deal it was to not get blanked in the Big Ten.'

But I'll remember it, and I don't think I will be the only one.

This is what I love about college football, every win matters. I remember back when both Green Bay and Tampa Bay were bad teams, people would call the game the "Bay of Pigs". In the NFL, if you are out of the playoff picture, they call the games "meaningless". But not in college football, the game itself matters, it's not just a bowl game, a conference championship or a national championships. These things matter, of course, but in college football the games are not simply the means to get to the post season. Winning a game to have two wins instead of one, to avoid tying the worst record ever, to avoid last place, really does matter.

Some people don't get it, they really don't understand college football at all. They deride fans and players for cheering getting the second win of the season. I pity them. This game is going to go down as one of the unheralded big games. I love the media guide, it's a great wealth of Gopher history. But it doesn't tell the whole story. Someone looking at the media guide, and seeing the 2 win (ok, we can still get three) season might not grasp how big a deal it was to pull out the win. It will show the score, but won't tell you about the clutch comeback. They might be able to guess at how big a deal it was to not get blanked in the Big Ten.'

This is a great post, RR. Being at the game and seeing the players' faces as they came over to the Gopher fan section at the end of the game made this very clear. A monkey was lifted off the back of every player on this team on Saturday.

I agree 100%. The Gophers showed their true grit on Saturday and are to be congratulated. Don't bet against them when Iowa comes to town in two weeks.

wish they would have gotten a picture of the Gatorade bath for Horton!

Top Bottom