ESPN: Big Ten Week 3 Power Rankings (#6. Minnesota, MSU takse over top spot)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Gophers fall to 6th overall, and 4th in the division, per ESPN:

6. Minnesota Golden Gophers: Scoring points is going to be an issue in Minnesota this season. The Gophers’ offense managed only 10 points Saturday in a win over Kent State -- the same Kent State that Illinois beat 52-3 to open the season. Minnesota (2-1) will need to find a way to produce more to keep its spot in the top half of the league.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/123916/big-ten-week-3-power-rankings

Go Gophers!!

Seems about right with these rankings. How is Michigan favored by 4 against BYU next week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Ohio State squeaks by N Illinois and BTN doesn't drop them. Yet the Gophers squeak by Kent State and drop 4 spots

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

So Ohio State squeaks by N Illinois and BTN doesn't drop them. Yet the Gophers squeak by Kent State and drop 4 spots

Guessing you are going for humor but in case you aren't I think the BTN folks are smart enough to see a difference between struggling some against a Northern Illinois team that went 11-3 last year vs. struggling with a Kent State team that went 2-9 the previous season and got destroyed in its opener by Illinois.

Guessing you are going for humor but in case you aren't I think the BTN folks are smart enough to see a difference between struggling some against a Northern Illinois team that went 11-3 last year vs. struggling with a Kent State team that went 2-9 the previous season and got destroyed in its opener by Illinois.
I don't think OSU should drop 4 spots, but to me MSU is a much better team right now. Ohio State has not looked great in their last couple games

I don't think OSU should drop 4 spots, but to me MSU is a much better team right now. Ohio State has not looked great in their last couple games

ESPN did mover MSU into the top spot. BTN probably would have followed suit if MSU had come away with a larger margin of victory. Based on the writeups it sure looks like a 1 and 1a situation between those two.

More concerning for the Gophers, in addition to how the offense played against Kent State, is that through 3 weeks there are a number of teams in the West that have looked improved or on par with last year, the biggest being Northwestern. Gophers need to get the kinks figured out on offense because that looks like a very good Northwestern squad that is going to be waiting for us when conference play starts.

ESPN did mover MSU into the top spot. BTN probably would have followed suit if MSU had come away with a larger margin of victory. Based on the writeups it sure looks like a 1 and 1a situation between those two.

More concerning for the Gophers, in addition to how the offense played against Kent State, is that through 3 weeks there are a number of teams in the West that have looked improved or on par with last year, the biggest being Northwestern. Gophers need to get the kinks figured out on offense because that looks like a very good Northwestern squad that is going to be waiting for us when conference play starts.

Northwestern and Iowa looked very good through the first three games. Illinois also looked very good not to mention they blew out Kent State who the Gophers had a rough time offensively against.

Let's hope the injury bug that is plaguing the Gophers is short term, and that it doesn't derail the success of the defense.

The twelve injuries (some season ending) is disconcerting after the first two games. We may be looking at a 5-7 season unless the Gophers can find a fix for the offensive woes in spite of injuries.

At the beginning of the season, we were sure we had great depth on the offensive line and tight ends. How things have changed after three games.

BTN had the Gophers 3rd in their power rankings last week?

"A storybook season continues for the Hawkeyes, who are 3-0 for the first time since 2009."

Narrow wins over Iowa State and Pitt qualify as a "storybook season?"

per Shama's Power Rankings:

9. Minnesota (2-1): With a great defense and top kicking game the Gophers have West Division title potential but a struggling offense sends Jerry Kill’s team into the No. 9 spot for now.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Well not wrong, we deserved a drop.

Ohio St. too now that they picked their QB... and maybe the wrong one...

Top Bottom