ESPN: Big Ten adds Holiday Bowl and the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl vs P12 teams

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

The Big Ten is adding the Holiday Bowl and the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl to its future postseason lineup and will face Pac-12 teams in both games, sources have told ESPN.com.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany will announce the moves during a conference call Monday afternoon with bowl officials and Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott, according to sources. The Pac-12 is continuing its agreements with both bowls for the next cycle, which begins in the 2014 season.

The Big Ten already has added the Pinstripe Bowl in New York to its future postseason lineup. The league is expected to continue agreements with the Capital One, Outback, Gator and Heart of Dallas bowls and add the Music City Bowl in Nashville to its lineup. The Big Ten is in negotiations with the Detroit Lions to be part of a new bowl game in Detroit, ESPN's Brett McMurphy reported in May.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ay-kraft-fight-hunger-bowls-postseason-lineup

Go Gophers!!

Sweet! I'd love to make a trip to California in December. I wonder which position these bowls will be in the pecking order for both conferences.

Is the game in Detroit actually a new bowl?? Is it replacing the Little Ceaser's (I think that is the most recent name)? What other conference is involved?

So we now have:

Rose
Capital One
Outback
Gator
HoD
Music City
Pinstripe
Fight Hunger
Holiday
Detroit

Correct?

I think you've got it right in terms of the lineup. Just still disappointed that we took on the Pinstripe bowl and that we are still considering doing something in Detroit. No offense to either city but I can't think of two cities I would less like to visit during the winter than NY and Detroit. Bowl games to me mean going someplace warm for a few days and, the draw of NYC at Christmas time notwithstanding, these are just not appealing to me. I like the addition of the KFH Bowl and Holiday - SF area and SD are would be great trips.

I think you've got it right in terms of the lineup. Just still disappointed that we took on the Pinstripe bowl and that we are still considering doing something in Detroit. No offense to either city but I can't think of two cities I would less like to visit during the winter than NY and Detroit. Bowl games to me mean going someplace warm for a few days and, the draw of NYC at Christmas time notwithstanding, these are just not appealing to me. I like the addition of the KFH Bowl and Holiday - SF area and SD are would be great trips.

For the Pinstripe Bowl, I would hope for a December 30th game, with a chance to act like a sardine in Times Square the next night.

Shocking...a Chicagoan with an attitude about NYC. Still can't measure up. NYC during the holidays is fabulous. A thousand things to do and a subway to get you there. Plus it helps represent the Big Ten footprint with the addition of 2 more East Coast Schools. I am confident that if Rutgers, Penn St or MD are bowl eligible that one of them will be playing in NYC which is perfect. Of course the Detroit thing really makes no sense to me.

Sweet! I'd love to make a trip to California in December. I wonder which position these bowls will be in the pecking order for both conferences.

Is the game in Detroit actually a new bowl?? Is it replacing the Little Ceaser's (I think that is the most recent name)? What other conference is involved?

So we now have:

Rose
Capital One
Outback
Gator
HoD
Music City
Pinstripe
Fight Hunger
Holiday
Detroit

Correct?

Detroit Lions Bowl is in direct competition with the Pizza Bowl, and is hoping to snuff it out. The game would be against the ACC. The location sucks, but the match-up is OK.

For the Pinstripe Bowl, I would hope for a December 30th game, with a chance to act like a sardine in Times Square the next night.

This goal has a lot of appeal for families traveling to NYC to make an extended stay.

Shocking...a Chicagoan with an attitude about NYC. Still can't measure up. NYC during the holidays is fabulous. A thousand things to do and a subway to get you there. Plus it helps represent the Big Ten footprint with the addition of 2 more East Coast Schools. I am confident that if Rutgers, Penn St or MD are bowl eligible that one of them will be playing in NYC which is perfect. Of course the Detroit thing really makes no sense to me.
I've never been to NYC and I've wanted to go there over the holidays. I blame my love of Home Alone 2.

That's ok I guess if they end up there. Every review of that bowl I've seen said it's awful. Yankee Stadium was designed very well for baseball - which is very poor for football. Seats facing the wrong angle, etc. All the issues the Twins had in the Dome, just reverse. The three games they've had have featured Rutgers or Syracuse - great geographical partners, but the attendance has been dreadful (not sure what "announced" attendance has been, but watching the game it was obvious there was almost no one there. No idea what the television numbers from that game have been like, but I didn't think it did well in the ratings, either. I know there's money behind it, but it still seems like an odd choice.

The other question I have is are we trying to recruit NY players or fans? If players, then it makes perfect sense to play in their back yard. If fans, then will a person from New York really watch a B1G game because it's played at Yankee Stadium vs. Orlando? I just don't see it, but I honestly don't know. Maybe they will. Will that long term affect the B1G fan base???

Just still disappointed that we took on the Pinstripe bowl and that we are still considering doing something in Detroit. No offense to either city but I can't think of two cities I would less like to visit during the winter than NY and Detroit. Bowl games to me mean going someplace warm for a few days and, the draw of NYC at Christmas time notwithstanding, these are just not appealing to me. I like the addition of the KFH Bowl and Holiday - SF area and SD are would be great trips.
I should preface this by saying I'm dissapointed in the constant self-loathing by Midwesterners about where they live. It's cold, yes. And? I just don't get it, but I suppose I was also just built to live in the Upper Midwest.

That said, we lost bowl games in Dallas and Tempe, two cities that I personally would have absolutely zero interest in visiting anyway. I can certainly see the appeal for places like Orlando or Los Angeles as far as warm weather cities with *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# to do, but unless you really like to golf, or just hate being outside in the cold, what's the great appeal of most of the remaining southern cities? Bleh, I digress. If you hate being cold so much, move.

With all of the discussions about repeating our bowl location, I just wanted to bump this thread. There will be some interesting locations starting next season! I believe these are all confirmed....someone correct me if I'm wrong

Rose - California
Capital One - Florida
Outback - Florida
Gator - Florida
HoD - Texas
Music City - Tennessee (right?)
Pinstripe - New York
Fight Hunger - California
Holiday - California
Detroit - Michigan

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl? Please change the name.

With all of the discussions about repeating our bowl location, I just wanted to bump this thread. There will be some interesting locations starting next season! I believe these are all confirmed....someone correct me if I'm wrong

Rose - California
Capital One - Florida
Outback - Florida
Gator - Florida
HoD - Texas
Music City - Tennessee (right?)
Pinstripe - New York
Fight Hunger - California
Holiday - California
Detroit - Michigan

Thanks for finding this. I remembered we had a thread like this but couldn't find it. Seems odd that we would be getting right of the Insight/BWW Bowl, but it looks like there are a few suitable replacements. Back to the Music City Bowl and some new places as well!

I have to think that a lot of the appeal on TV for the Pinstripe Bowl has to do with the uniqueness of it being played in Yankee Stadium. It's not the Yankee Stadium of old, but there's still mystique about the place.

As far as going in person, I would have no interest in going to an outdoor minor bowl game in the Bronx in December. Ugh. It's as stupid as having the Super Bowl in New Jersey this year (I hope they get a horrible blizzard for that).

As far as going in person, I would have no interest in going to an outdoor minor bowl game in the Bronx in December. Ugh. It's as stupid as having the Super Bowl in New Jersey this year (I hope they get a horrible blizzard for that).

I'm with you on this one.

Let's just come up with the most stupid idea because everyone will want to turn on their TV and see how stupid it is...........$$ trump common sense.:banghead:

I have to think that a lot of the appeal on TV for the Pinstripe Bowl has to do with the uniqueness of it being played in Yankee Stadium. It's not the Yankee Stadium of old, but there's still mystique about the place.

I would make a trip to NYC over Jacksonville or Houston any day of the week and any time of the year.

14 team conference with 10 bowl tie ins....Chances are those back few rarely get filled but having said that the more tie ins we add the better the odds are we never end up in Detroit so I am all for it.

14 team conference with 10 bowl tie ins....Chances are those back few rarely get filled but having said that the more tie ins we add the better the odds are we never end up in Detroit so I am all for it.
The ACC has 14 members and has 11 eligible teams. Technically, if you add Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G, we'd have 9 teams as well with an eligible Penn State with a potential 10 with Rutgers (though admittedly Rutgers would have likely done much worse in the B1G)

The ACC has 14 members and has 11 eligible teams. Technically, if you add Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G, we'd have 9 teams as well with an eligible Penn State with a potential 10 with Rutgers (though admittedly Rutgers would have likely done much worse in the B1G)

At this point they should just add a few more games so that every team gets a trophy....I mean bowl game :cool02:

Wait a tic....TWO bowls in Detroilet?! Why is there even one?? If any northern city should have a bowl..it should be at the new Vikings Stadium. You can take the light rail from the airport to MOA, then to the dome or downtown where you can go from building to building via skyway. Never having to go outside. But mostly with a shiny brand new league elite stadium. Let's go!

Wait a tic....TWO bowls in Detroilet?! Why is there even one?? If any northern city should have a bowl..it should be at the new Vikings Stadium. You can take the light rail from the airport to MOA, then to the dome or downtown where you can go from building to building via skyway. Never having to go outside. But mostly with a shiny brand new league elite stadium. Let's go!
The new Detroit bowl is going to cancel the Pizza Bowl out. The Lions own the rights to Ford Field and decided that instead of allowing another organization to operate a bowl game there they would just do it themselves.

At this point they should just add a few more games so that every team gets a trophy....I mean bowl game :cool02:

Your wish is granted. Beginning next year, say hello to...

Camellia Bowl (Birmingham): MAC vs. Sun Belt
Boca Raton Bowl: AAC/C-USA/MAC rotation
Bahamas Bowl: AAC/C-USA/MAC/Sun Belt rotation
Miami Beach Bowl (at Marlins Park): AAC/C-USA/MAC rotation

A pretty good link for bowl affiliations for 2014 and beyond: http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2013/07/what-bowl-picture-looks-like-starting.html

Top Bottom