Eslinger, Nicholson, Brinkhaus, Spaeth, Ellerson

I believe Mason would be a much better coach now than what he was when coaching for us when he did. I really believe he learned something from both Kill and Fleck in addition to learning from the booth.

Thanks for posting. I know what's going to happen, but it still surprises me a little bit.
I think we have flashbacks to how frick'n nervous we were before the kick. Was looking for the shot of the players kneeling and holding hands, but wasn't sure if I was remembering it or still imagining it. And, yes also. Thanks!

Thanks for posting that! I think I shed some tears of joy watching that day - likely because of how gut-wrenching the 2003 and 2004 losses were.

Speaking of 2004, I was at that game in Ann Arbor. After watching the 2005 highlight, YouTube suggested I watch 2004. It's been 16 years, so I wanted to refresh my memory of what happened in that game. We really blew our chance to win when we recover the punt fumble on Michigan's 8 and had to settle for a FG. Would have been up 11 otherwise with a TD. But what REALLY struck me was on Michigan's final 87-yard game-winning drive, how easily Henne marched them down the field. It took them just over a minute and it seemed like they passed for 10-yard chunks at will. Also HORRIBLE tackling. Weird to watch that and remember how tortured we were by those Mason defenses in so many games.

A great day. Maybe we can relive it again on Saturday night.

Thanks for posting that! I think I shed some tears of joy watching that day - likely because of how gut-wrenching the 2003 and 2004 losses were.

Speaking of 2004, I was at that game in Ann Arbor. After watching the 2005 highlight, YouTube suggested I watch 2004. It's been 16 years, so I wanted to refresh my memory of what happened in that game. We really blew our chance to win when we recover the punt fumble on Michigan's 8 and had to settle for a FG. Would have been up 11 otherwise with a TD. But what REALLY struck me was on Michigan's final 87-yard game-winning drive, how easily Henne marched them down the field. It took them just over a minute and it seemed like they passed for 10-yard chunks at will. Also HORRIBLE tackling. Weird to watch that and remember how tortured we were by those Mason defenses in so many games.

I remember this game vividly. After sitting front row in the 2003 debacle, I thought we would pull through in 04.

I immediately thought the same thing after we recovered the muffed punt: punch it in and the games over.

Yes, that was tough in 2004, and I was there as well. Regardless, the weather was great and it was a very fun day in Michigan for me.

The 2003 loss stands out so obviously, and is still talked about here at length on a regular basis. So much momentum for the program was lost, and in hind sight, it was the single moment that the Mason regime just could not overcome. The "are you kidding me" losers label was pasted on and future come-from-ahead losses would back it up.

With that one really sticking out, the 2004 loss and later the 2015 goal line failure to lose in the final seconds are a bit overshadowed - but both do deserve their place among all time Gopher "what could have been" difficult losses to swallow. Yes, 2005 and 2014 were sweet - but Saturday would go a long way, considering the potentially high expectations for the current team.

The 2003 loss stands out so obviously, and is still talked about here at length on a regular basis. So much momentum for the program was lost, and in hind sight, it was the single moment that the Mason regime just could not overcome. The "are you kidding me" losers label was pasted on and future come-from-ahead losses would back it up.

With that one really sticking out, the 2004 loss and later the 2015 goal line failure to lose in the final seconds are a bit overshadowed - but both do deserve their place among all time Gopher "what could have been" difficult losses to swallow. Yes, 2005 and 2014 were sweet - but Saturday would go a long way, considering the potentially high expectations for the current team.

Even if you ignore The Game That Shall Not Be Named, there were so many horrific 4th quarter collapses under the Mason administration that those two Michigan losses (04 and 15) don't even move the misery meter.

Top Bottom