Enough with Westbrook

Todd McTodderson

Todd McTodderson
Reaction score
After watching Sunday's debacle I think it is time to stick Westbrook on the bench where he belongs. Yes, he does do some nice things when he is on the floor, but I think does more trouble than good for the Gophers. He is a senior and will do nothing for this team in the future. Give his minutes to Joseph, Cobbs, and Rodney Williams. Another thing that has bothered me while watching Westbrook is that he has developed an attitude. Talking trash, getting into fights, and throwing elbows. I am a huge Gopher hoops fan, but it is hard to watch this years' team and I think a lot to do with it is Westbrook. It is clear that the Gophers are not what we expected this year, so Tubby should go forward with the youth movement. The only senior that should play is Johnson. I will continue to watch the Gophers, but I would enjoy watching them more if Westrbook wasn't part of the team.

After watching Sunday's debacle I think it is time to stick Westbrook on the bench where he belongs. Yes, he does do some nice things when he is on the floor, but I think does more trouble than good for the Gophers. He is a senior and will do nothing for this team in the future. Give his minutes to Joseph, Cobbs, and Rodney Williams. Another thing that has bothered me while watching Westbrook is that he has developed an attitude. Talking trash, getting into fights, and throwing elbows. I am a huge Gopher hoops fan, but it is hard to watch this years' team and I think a lot to do with it is Westbrook. It is clear that the Gophers are not what we expected this year, so Tubby should go forward with the youth movement. The only senior that should play is Johnson. I will continue to watch the Gophers, but I would enjoy watching them more if Westrbook wasn't part of the team.

It's going to be very interesting to see how this thread spins and turns.

McTurdelson brings nothing new to the table. Tubby sat him at Indiana after his T. He'll start for the rest of the year. He'll carry us again to a big win and everyone will sing his praises until we lose and bash another player.

This post isn't meant to see how people will spin and turn it, this is how I feel. Westbrook is the cancer to this team.

Westy fan here.

I have been a big Westbrook fan but I now find myself asking, "WTF?"

Has the weight loss made him even crankier?

He is playing himself right onto the bench.

What in the heck is he thinking?

:(:confused:

I will not praise Westbrook even he throws in thirty and we beat Michigan State on Saturday. He is not the best player on the team. The best player on the team makes others around him better. Westbrook does not do that. He would rather have his teammates look like sh*t than do well. Johnson is the best player on the team.

Johnson is the best player on the team.

Johnson also won't be throwing in 30 anytime soon and, as Sunday again indicated, is prone to early foul trouble.

If they closed the messageboard so no one could bitch after we lost Saturday ( which we won't ) and we benched LW for principal - ok. But, otherwise, we need him as a scorer too much and will have deal with his faults.

I don't know what's gotten into him either by the way. Dude has had some issues lately.

reserve

Johnson also won't be throwing in 30 anytime soon and, as Sunday again indicated, is prone to early foul trouble.

If they closed the messageboard so no one could bitch after we lost Saturday ( which we won't ) and we benched LW for principal - ok. But, otherwise, we need him as a scorer too much and will have deal with his faults.

I don't know what's gotten into him either by the way. Dude has had some issues lately.

DJ may not drop 30 on anybody but overall I believe he IS the best player on this team.

Your comment, "Dude has had some issues lately.", gave me a good chuckle. :D

I could not agree more.

DJ has proven that no matter what he will always get dumb fouls and will always be in foul trouble.

Westbrook

I, too, am unhappy with the way Westbrook has been representing the University of Minnesota in recent games. There is no place for behavior like that. When you lose games and act like a punk, it makes the program look bad.

he competes... something lacking with others.. did you see KState last nite? Westbrook would fit in with them..

If devoe has his confidence up off of the IU game then he would b great starting, but up til sunday devoe has been ice cold and westbrook had been hot. I wanted devoe to take westbrooks spot last year but had been pleased with westbrook lately but devoe potentially gives us an end of the shot clock scoring option that we dont have this year. It scary to think what a confident devoe joseph could do night in and night out.

One bad game and he should be banished to the bench. Everyone on this team has had a bad game or two. He will come back and dominate. Substitution will get the people in the game that are performing. It was Devoe's turn last time, Hoffarber had a couple of good games etc..

I should bump my Westbrook thread that half of GH got mad at me for starting...

I feel that the issues that caused the confrontation between Westbrook and Nolan never got resolved and I suspect that it is Westbrook that is too stuburn to listen to good advice. He has alot of potential and is capable of being the one to take the game on his back when needed. The problem is his judgement more than his talent. He seems like he does not listen well, and if that is true than he is never going to be the player he could be under Tubby,s guidence.

One bad game and he should be banished to the bench. Everyone on this team has had a bad game or two. He will come back and dominate. Substitution will get the people in the game that are performing. It was Devoe's turn last time, Hoffarber had a couple of good games etc..

jovs- an off game is one thing. In the Ohio State game he ended with a jawing match, over which Tubby was very unhappy and said so. Then in this game he has a similar issue. That's what we do know.........

Westbrook may be an a**hole

But he's our a**hole. Count me in on the Westbrook fan club.

More Westbrook hate. I really don't care about the speculation about his personality. He is still our best shooter/creator. Devoe has great potential, but only has had one good game. Westbrook is shooting 51% from the field, 42% from three, and 74% from the line (83 last year). Please, tell me where we'd be without that production.

If devoe has his confidence up off of the IU game then he would b great starting, but up til sunday devoe has been ice cold and westbrook had been hot. I wanted devoe to take westbrooks spot last year but had been pleased with westbrook lately but devoe potentially gives us an end of the shot clock scoring option that we dont have this year. It scary to think what a confident devoe joseph could do night in and night out.

devoe can't take anyone off the dribble.. westbrook can.. big difference.

Brilliant idea. Let's bench our best scorer, our only player who can really create his own shot and actually make it, our only clutch player, and our only player who can put the team on his back and win it for us himself.

Tough Year

It's clearly been a tough year for this team. White and his issues, the bad luck surrounding Mbakwe, etc. It seems to me that EVERYONE on the Gopher squad is feeling the tension.

When a young person is stressed, the personality type will reflect how they respond:

Westbrook, fiery confronter
Nolen, mediator (unless dealing with a bully, then protector)
DJ, quiet and sullen
Sampson, ditto
Colton, erratic and a little clumsy
Carter, ditto
Cobbs, potentially fiery but trying to follow his mentor (Nolen)
Joseph, pleaser that tries too hard (also p.r. guy)
Hoffarber, opportunist (not necessarily in a bad way)
Bostick, ditto (not necessarily in a good way)
Williams, "haven't figured him out yet but someone has to..."

Seems to me that a Gopher basketball fan site would be less critical/ biting and a little more supportive when their team is struggling. You know, positive reinforcement, the kind most people respond to.

For example, Turner has been getting A LOT of positive camera time and it basically paints him as the next Big Ten Messiah (good kid, good attitude, great talent). All reports from court side (and not just the Minnie game) indicate that Turner is a trash-talking, dirty-playing punk in BTPOTY clothing. Saying that to say this: just because it's the popular sentiment, doesn't make it true.

As the accomplice so eloquently put it: "Westbrook may be an a**hole
But he's our a**hole." (but don't add my name to the fan club, just yet)

Top Bottom