Emily Fox drafted by Lynx.

Is this a legit pick or is it like the Wolves drafting Rickert?

With an 11-person roster, and being the Lynx's 4th draft pick this year, Fox's chances of making the roster isn't that good.

The Lynx biggest mistake is not trading for Whalen. Attendence would be up and more money for the organization. They would have great PG and most likely win more games.

Cheap publicity. They could have had McCarvelle for free and they could have traded for Whalen and they wouldn't do either. If they had Lindsay and/or Janelle they would have a significant fan base but they don't and they don't.

Fox has about as much chance of playing for the Lynx as I do...zero.

The Lynx are a non factor in this town because they have no conception of marketing. They would rather finish last with Simone Augustus and no fans support than finish last with Whalen and a pretty big fan base. Would Conn. trade Whalen for Augustus. Likely. Would the Lynx be getting fair value? No. Would it be good Marketing? Yes.

Instead they draft Fox and make it sound like they are really searching to bring in a local kid.

Typical stupidity of a Taylor owned sports team.

Well, maybe Fox can do her spin move....right into the teeth of the defense. Never has a spin move been used with such frequency and ineptitude. Publicity stunt.

Cheap publicity. They could have had McCarvelle for free and they could have traded for Whalen and they wouldn't do either. If they had Lindsay and/or Janelle they would have a significant fan base but they don't and they don't.

Fox has about as much chance of playing for the Lynx as I do...zero.

The Lynx are a non factor in this town because they have no conception of marketing. They would rather finish last with Simone Augustus and no fans support than finish last with Whalen and a pretty big fan base. Would Conn. trade Whalen for Augustus. Likely. Would the Lynx be getting fair value? No. Would it be good Marketing? Yes.

Instead they draft Fox and make it sound like they are really searching to bring in a local kid.

Typical stupidity of a Taylor owned sports team.

Though getting Whalen would have been great, it is not exactly like she was being given to them. It is as if the build up the home team with home grown girls mentality that was in in play until the Lynx came around, then it was mortgaging the future for them.

you guys are all a little too intense over a 3rd round pick in the WNBA, Emily has done a lot for the U of M and i wish her the best of luck, she is a very solid player and i wish her the best

the wnba "we got next".......ummm.....no thanks! would rather watch paint dry than see a wnba game in person or on tv.

What future?

In a sense, that was part of my point, and I don't pin that one soley on the Lynx, but on the lack of foresight by the league. The WNBA, including each individual team, needed to do anything it could to build up the local attendance of each team. Part of that could easily have been the players who they knew would be local favorites (ex. Whalen and MN), should have somehow been brought together.

Though I respect the need for team to get the players they believe will make it a better team, the league itself and a number of teams were not strong enough, as evidenced by a few teams already collapsing. Popular local players will be about the only way this league will make it, if at all. There is just not the interest otherwise, especially in markets with multiple sports options, like the Twin Cities.

The WNBA, including each individual team, needed to do anything it could to build up the local attendance of each team. Part of that could easily have been the players who they knew would be local favorites (ex. Whalen and MN), should have somehow been brought together.

Exactly! I agree. The league should have done all it could to assure Whalen played for the Lynx. Even if it meant instituting a "regional draft" like the old NBA did when they were starting up.

That is, of course, if they wanted to establish the league in this market. Instead they thought of themselves as a big time pro league going after the "best available". Katie Smith...now there is a draw for a 12 year old girl from Hutchinson. Who's Katie Smith? When is Lindsay coming to play?

The Lynx had several opportunities to obtain Whalen and in fact at one point said they could have gotten her "but the price was too high". Rediculous. If they had Whalen they would have an instant draw and then could start to build the team around her. Just like they are trying to do now.

Agustus is one of the premier players in the league and we still can't draw. It is clear the Lynx suffer from front officeitis just like the wolves. There is absolutely no reason to waste a nice summer afternoon going to watch a team that has nothing to offer. If they had Whalen or McCarville every little basketball playing kid in the state would want to go see them. As it is now they don't have a clue who they are.

The reality is that the WNBA is not going to have the same following/fan response as the NBA or most other pro sports. They need(ed) to work on developing grass roots local interest and have up to this time failed in that regard. Even the established pro teams/leagues need to continually work on marketing and keeping fan interest/attention.

Just think Patrick Ewing and bent envelope! As much as that infuriated a lot of people, there was a reason behind it!

BTW - Not trying to endorse that sort of method, but they do need to do things a lot differently, at least until they can garner enough interest whereas winning and quality play can get firmly intrenched!

Top Bottom