Emergence of Rashod Bateman

Gold Rush

Reaction score
It was nice to see Rashod Bateman named as a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award. Only a sophomore, he was the only Big Ten player named which is amazing.
He is about the same size as Tyler Johnson, listed at 6-2 and 210 lbs but Gopher fans have been treated to see this kid really emerge as an outstanding wideout.
If I were an NFL scout I would be coming out to see Johnson, but leaving thinking Bateman is probably an even better prospect. I loved his one-handed TD grab, but he is just solid and he doesn't drop the passes that Johnson does, too. Morgan has been going more and more often to him, often for big gains. He just keeps finding ways to get open and I am surprised how teams are leaving him uncovered (although I am sure Tyler Johnson is helping him with this emergence.)

All in all, Gopher fans should not be surprised he is basically being elevated as the top WR in the Big Ten and I would expect teams to start covering him with their best corner or double coverage, leaving Johnson with their second CB. He is that dangerous!

It was nice to see Rashod Bateman named as a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award. Only a sophomore, he was the only Big Ten player named which is amazing.
He is about the same size as Tyler Johnson, listed at 6-2 and 210 lbs but Gopher fans have been treated to see this kid really emerge as an outstanding wideout.
If I were an NFL scout I would be coming out to see Johnson, but leaving thinking Bateman is probably an even better prospect. I loved his one-handed TD grab, but he is just solid and he doesn't drop the passes that Johnson does, too. Morgan has been going more and more often to him, often for big gains. He just keeps finding ways to get open and I am surprised how teams are leaving him uncovered (although I am sure Tyler Johnson is helping him with this emergence.)

All in all, Gopher fans should not be surprised he is basically being elevated as the top WR in the Big Ten and I would expect teams to start covering him with their best corner or double coverage, leaving Johnson with their second CB. He is that dangerous!

I think with our 3 wide set and our high tendency to run, most teams aren't able to choose who they double. Our formation likely tells the defense who they are gonna bracket cover, and are forced to isolate a corner on either Bateman or Johnson depending on where we line them up.

Bateman about 50 yards from 1,000 and Johnson is close too. Have we ever had two 1,000 yard receivers in the same year?

with Bateman, the sky is the limit! He has been a treat to watch this year. Johnson is excellent as well but a couple untimely drops this year have tainted my perceptions.

We've only had 5 1,000 yard seasons period.

1Tyler Johnson1,1692018
2Eric Decker1,0742008
3Ron Johnson1,125[12]2000
4Ryan Thelwell1,0511996
5Chester Cooper1,0121981
I don't know why Decker and Johnson are out of order

Its amazing that none of these guys overlapped. Shows how dismal our WRs have been. I understand two guys getting 1000+ yards in a season is difficult but for none of them to have ever played together is depressing. Nice that we have two studs right now (and I think CAB is really good also)

Its amazing that none of these guys overlapped. Shows how dismal our WRs have been. I understand two guys getting 1000+ yards in a season is difficult but for none of them to have ever played together is depressing. Nice that we have two studs right now (and I think CAB is really good also)

I'm excited to have our 6th and 7th 1,000 yard seasons this year assuming nothing weird happens.

Also very excited to see CAB step into the #2 role next year.

Bateman is an absolute beast and coverage nightmare. The coaches have been using him in a bunch of creative ways recently as well: inside player in trips, middle player in trips, single player away from trips, etc. Dude is almost unguardable on 50-50 balls and has either come down with or drawn a penalty on like 80% this year I'd guess. Fun to watch an NFL talent, isn't it?

I attended a spring practice this year at the indoor facility. I knew Rashod had nice potential after last year's season (the late-game TD catch against Indiana comes to mind, for example).

At this practice, I was obviously able to watch our WR's from a very close vantage point at field-level. It was at this practice that my jaw likely dropped out of amazement - his speed, route-running ability, etc. I was truly astounded.

I knew he was due for a fairly big year, I just didn't think he'd be leading the B1G in average receiving YPG! And TJ is #2 at the moment, so one could argue that statistically, we have the best two receivers in the conference. Awesome to see. Bright future ahead for Rashod.

His targets will likely increase next year. I wonder if he'll get any Heisman talk during the year.

We have CAB to step into a top 2 roll for 2020 and DD.
I'm curious if we have any other freshman this year who will make an impact next year.

Add in Spielman next year...….. Just kidding, but what if the rumors are true?

Top Bottom