Ekstrom: Who Can Step Up as Marcus Carr's Supporting Cast?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Ekstrom:

Providing assistance for Carr has to be the Gophers’ main offensive objective so Big Ten defenses can’t freely swarm the primary ball-handler. Through three games, the right-hand man has been Utah transfer Both Gach, who’s averaged 13.7 points. The junior from Austin, Minn., appears to be a stronger on-ball threat than Gabe Kalscheur, and his defense has been stifling thus far. On a team with myriad newcomers finding their footing, Gach has wasted no time getting acclimated.

“I’m just creating some energy for our team because we’ve needed it,” Gach said after the team’s second game. “Trying to be the one to pick us up a little bit, trying to be the one to get us started on the defensive end, trying to get guys going.”

Kalscheur, meanwhile, is still trying to rediscover his freshman year offensive form when he shot 41% from 3-point range. His sophomore-season shooting declined across the board, and his junior year is off to an inauspicious start with a 1-of-12 start from beyond the arc and a 28% shooting stroke overall. The looks have been plentiful for the junior, but the shots haven’t fallen. But Pitino has never wavered in his confidence for Kalscheur and isn’t about to discourage him from shooting. With Carr attracting multiple defenders on dribble drives, the sky is the limit for Kalscheur hitting catch-and-shoot 3s throughout the season. Regardless of whether those shots fall, however, the Gophers still benefit from Kalscheur’s on-ball defense and good decision-making in the offense.

Go Gophers!!

Gach is the guy after Carr he has all the tools to be a real threat for All-B1G teams. Odds on favorite to be our second threat consistently throughout the season.

Johnson is probably the best bet at our third option right now. He is just getting into the flow and will hopefully keep doing what he did against UND. He is strong and dynamic and more than capable of doing it against B1G teams.

Robbins isn't there yet.

Kelesheur is like a lottery ticket right now. Promises good things but provides very little for the investment offensively. Just don't see it ever coming back the way he is gripping on every shot.

Curry is hindered by his lack of explosiveness and may be only able to provide 10-15 minutes. Hopefully he can stay injury free and add 8 and 5.

Williams, Ihnen, and Mashburn are the only other options for adding anything. Past performance analysis of Pitino's bench shows that we shouldn't expect much from these guys at all. Considering the limited amount of minutes they get, that is more than understandable.

It's going to be Carr, Gach, and Johnson leading the way!

Gach is the guy after Carr he has all the tools to be a real threat for All-B1G teams. Odds on favorite to be our second threat consistently throughout the season.

Johnson is probably the best bet at our third option right now. He is just getting into the flow and will hopefully keep doing what he did against UND. He is strong and dynamic and more than capable of doing it against B1G teams.

Robbins isn't there yet.

Kelesheur is like a lottery ticket right now. Promises good things but provides very little for the investment offensively. Just don't see it ever coming back the way he is gripping on every shot.

Curry is hindered by his lack of explosiveness and may be only able to provide 10-15 minutes. Hopefully he can stay injury free and add 8 and 5.

Williams, Ihnen, and Mashburn are the only other options for adding anything. Past performance analysis of Pitino's bench shows that we shouldn't expect much from these guys at all. Considering the limited amount of minutes they get, that is more than understandable.

It's going to be Carr, Gach, and Johnson leading the way!

From what I have seen so far, this analysis seems to nail it almost perfectly.

I think Gach is going to be huge. There will be nights he goes for 25/10/7. He's a baller. Great energy, great handle for a big guy and he can score and rebound. I like this kid, he is one of the best newcomers we have had for some time. Fantastic guard.

I believe the challenge for Pitino is the managing of Carr's monopolizing the ball in the half court offense. I would give him free reign in transition, but when you get in a half court set the ball has to move. It can't be 4 guys watching Carr dribble. This is where Pitino will be measured as a coach, at least by me. He has to demand that the ball move with the pass. Carr has to trust his teammates. Gach is a tough guard, Robbins has some post skills, along with Gabe and Brandon playing their roles along with a deep bench Kevin McHale often said it is the not the 5 best players, but it is the 5 best that play together.

I believe the challenge for Pitino is the managing of Carr's monopolizing the ball in the half court offense. I would give him free reign in transition, but when you get in a half court set the ball has to move. It can't be 4 guys watching Carr dribble. This is where Pitino will be measured as a coach, at least by me. He has to demand that the ball move with the pass. Carr has to trust his teammates. Gach is a tough guard, Robbins has some post skills, along with Gabe and Brandon playing their roles along with a deep bench Kevin McHale often said it is the not the 5 best players, but it is the 5 best that play together.
I totally agree!

The Gophers need to play fast to be more effective. I think Pitino needs to encourage Carr and Gach to attack their defender off the dribble and go more dribble-drive in the half court set. Carr dribbling till the clock is dwindling then attacking is foolhardy. Do it early in the clock, make the defense react and hit the open man. Gach certainly has the handles to do the same from the SF position. Those two could playoff each other very effectively in this manner and Johnson has shown the ability to knock down open 3s.

Dribble-drive with Carr and Gach would be way more fun to watch than perimeter passing and dribbling until someone has to put on a cape. Hard to say if Pitino would green light it against the zone, but isn't that when the dribble-drive is most effective?

Top Bottom