Ed Olson

go4fan

Reaction score
I was not able to watch the game so I am curious how are LT did in his first game. Thoughts?

Got beat to the outside on a couple of plays. Otherwise looked pretty good; very good considering he's a RSFr and this was his first D-I start. IMO, his run blocking is significantly ahead of his pass blocking at this point. That's a good thing, because pass pro technique can be taught much more easily than the strength and bad attitude necessary for run blocking. I think he's going to have a great career here.

Most would say he played very well, with the exception of one speed rush that he tried to ride around the QB. Adam did not step up. Sack. The run blocking better but most of the yards were gained off the right side. When you run for 286 yards and 67 rushes, everyone on the line should recieve a B. The A goes to Burris. Carufel B+, Wills B+, Bunders B.

I was not able to watch the game so I am curious how are LT did in his first game. Thoughts?

Our LT was solid. Our LT looked good in the run game and made only a couple mistakes in pass protection. Otherwise our LT was solid.

I haven't followed the development of the oline as much I probably should have. Is Ed Olson our LT of the future? I always assumed Gjere would be our LT of the future, but is he more likely to start at RT next year? Also is there a good chance Tommy Olson starts next to his Brother Ed next year? I know Tommy is one of our top recruits next year and could be the top player in the state.

Our LT was solid. Our LT looked good in the run game and made only a couple mistakes in pass protection. Otherwise our LT was solid.

Getting OUR and ARE mixed up is when of my pet peeves...but not as bad as YOUR and YOU'RE...that one really gets me. I let myself down though...time to go listen to slipknot and cut my wrists...

I was at the game and sat next to his dad and grandpa. It was pretty fun chatting with them, but it was crazy to see Ed's dad getting so excited over seeing his son play. Great guys! I thought he did well in the running game and only got beat a couple times on the passing game.

I haven't followed the development of the oline as much I probably should have. Is Ed Olson our LT of the future? I always assumed Gjere would be our LT of the future, but is he more likely to start at RT next year? Also is there a good chance Tommy Olson starts next to his Brother Ed next year? I know Tommy is one of our top recruits next year and could be the top player in the state.

Ed Olsen is our LT of the future apparently. Bunders will be at LG the next 2 years. Ryan Wynn or Zach Mottla should handle Center. Gjere is thought to be the RG of the future (There was talk of him stepping in when Carufel departs, but it's now clear he needs some weight-room work before that's going to happen). Brooks Michel is the heir apparent at RT.

Ed Olsen is our LT of the future apparently. Bunders will be at LG the next 2 years. Ryan Wynn or Zach Mottla should handle Center. Gjere is thought to be the RG of the future (There was talk of him stepping in when Carufel departs, but it's now clear he needs some weight-room work before that's going to happen). Brooks Michel is the heir apparent at RT.

Thanks. So it sounds like Tommy Olson will be a candidate for a redshirt?

they plan on RS'ing all the o-line recruits each year. It is needed to bulk up and prepare for Big Ten D lineman.

I watched the game a couple of times and specifically watched Olson's play...as a former LT in high school and college, I was curious how he would do in his first start...here is how I saw it.

He knew the play book...which is a bigger deal than most might think...easy to get lost in your head in your first start, on the road, et al.

Ed has an excellent first step on run blocking, especially to his right...which played very well as he was able to cut the back side gaurd as we ran to the right most of the time. He has good hands and keeps his feet moving while drive blocking...still a little high...but repeition works wonders on getting your leverage down.

Pass blocking is his weakness right now...he plays too tall and gets forward on his feet after initial contact and is very beatable on an inside move...which is how he got set up on that speed rush that made him look like a RFr.

Couple of times, he had his guy blocked and Webber didn't step up or scrambled prematurely and made Ed look bad...but I say those are on the QB.

Overall, he did really well...but I am concerned that he will be manhandled by a big DE or just out quicked by a speed DE once we get better competition. If he stays healthy and can grow his technique...his body and brain, good hands and feet should make him an All Big Ten type in 2-3 years and possible a pro-selection.

Just my opinion...

Top Bottom