Dutcher believes the Gophers are capable of being Big Ten title contenders but to do it they have to be better offensively in road games

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

“They (the Badgers) got beat inside by Maryland pretty soundly, and our center (Liam) Robbins is playing really good now so I think rather than start the offense at the three-point range, start the offense in the post. I just feel they (the Gophers) got a great chance to go and beat Wisconsin.”

Dutcher believes the Gophers are capable of being Big Ten title contenders but to do it they have to be better offensively in road games than they were at Illinois. Against the Illini, the Gophers made only 27.5 percent of their field goals including 25 percent on three pointers. That’s a different offense than Minnesota has shown at home scoring 90 points or more four times and topping 80 in seven games.

“They’re a great shooting team in Williams Arena,” Dutcher said. “They weren’t a great shooting team in Illinois. Hopefully they can get on somebody else’s floor and take their offense with them, but they’ve been impressive (this season).”

Go Gophers!!

So his one game sample size is super important. Shama again sucks.

So his one game sample size is super important. Shama again sucks.
Shaka may suck, but the Gophers struggled bigly on the road all of last year. I have a hard time viewing the Illinois game as a one off considering the team’s performance away from the Barn last year. I would love for the Illinois game to be a one off though, and I hope the team proves me wrong.

Shaka may suck, but the Gophers struggled bigly on the road all of last year. I have a hard time viewing the Illinois game as a one off considering the team’s performance away from the Barn last year. I would love for the Illinois game to be a one off though, and I hope the team proves me wrong.

Good point. Its basically the same roster as last year. Aside from the 3 new starters and all that.

What's a road game?
It's worth noting that the computer models I've seen are still indicating about a two-point statistical home advantage. I'm sure it has something to do with court familiarity, and I wouldn't put it past the officials to still give the home team breaks, out of habit at the least.

Dutcher is how old? We shot pretty average against everybody in Williams with the exception of Johnson against Iowa. Maybe he is getting his nostalgia mixed with his present.

I do think that Robbins can do damage today!

Horrid on the road again. Apparently, Jim Dutcher knows basketball.

Big 10 title contender? Yeah, no.

Might want to talk with someone a little more in touch with reality than a coach that hasn't sniffed college hoops in 35 years.

Terrible offensive plan to start this encounter which set the tone for the rest of the game... Lets just jack up some 3's..... People need to get open inside and passes need to get there. Get the ball to the basket. I know Wisconsin's D was good but if we're going to be a good team especially on the road our offensive set's need some adjustment.

Does Dutcher not realize that Pitino is running a 4 out, 1 in motion offense? He isn't running two posts like Dutch ran back in the day when there were only 3 television channels.

That being said, Wisconsin is tall and we settled for 3 point shots (many were good looks that we just clanked). A good 3 point shooting team (ie Maryland) can kill the Badgers, but the Gophers are a below average 3 point shooting team. Becky just packed it in and forced us to settle for our worst offensive option. As long as we have 20% Kalscheur and 10% Gach on the perimeter with no viable 3 point shooters on the court, we will lose to teams who can defend the post.

I would love to have some true 3 point snipers on this Gopher team, but if they exist, they are sitting at the end of the pines.

B10 title contenders is laughable. However, I am pleasantly surprised how the roster has come together quicker than I anticipated. A .500 B10 record and tourney birth is a realistic goal now.

I struggle with all the doom and gloom. We are 9-2. With our schedule i would have taken 9-2
Everyone on here would have. This site is very reactionary. Football forum is worse, but basketball is very bad.

Oh...Jim Dutcher. I thought it was Brian auditioning for the job. Nevermind.

Top Bottom