Dumb and Dumber

wetgopherhole

Reaction score
was watching big ten behind the schemes and Mase asked Bill Lynch how he dealt with big collapses. Hilarious.

Also...have you noticed in this show...Mase has morphed into a remarkable defensive guru!

Also...have you noticed in this show...Mase has morphed into a remarkable defensive guru!

Yes, and he seems to have a very good understanding of the defensive side of the ball. Just think about the possibilities if he could have recruited and implemented for it.

As Mase's comments and analysis on this BTN show indicate, he is no dummy when it comes to understanding all aspects of the collegiate game and seems to have found his niche as a TV analyst.

For whatever reason, he was just unwilling during his tenure...or unable...to put in the recruiting hours, PR/market the U, build a strong staff and commit to the total HCing effort needed on both sides of the ball in order to build a mid- to upper-tier BT program at Minny.

To be fair, the U certainly gave Mase ample time, but not the top-tier resources now available to Brewster & Co.

One thing I will always admire Mason for was his ability to create an offensive identity and develop the offensive talent around that identity. And the defense... er... um... did I mention I liked the way he ran his offense?

The Maroney/Barber years were so frustrating because I wanted to shout from the highest mountain top "YOU GOTTA SEE THIS TEAM RUN!" but nationally it never got the press it deserved because the feeble defenses and epic collapses made the overall results (W-L) very average. Remember when Mason used to publicly compare his multi-1000 yard back results to USC and people would snicker? I thought they WERE that good.

The only thing that kept the defenses from being totally exposed those years was the rumbling ground game eating up the clock. I'm getting all re-frustrated just thinking about it.

For some reason, although it was apparent to even casual fans, Mase just seemed to have some type of mental block regarding defense...even though everyone associated with or following the program seemed to know that poor defensive execution was holding Minny back from moving up a notch in the BT.

I never had a problem with Mason's pre-game preparation. In general I would say the majority of the time we had a solid game plan to start with. There was a few times we got punched in the mouth right out of the block, but that seemed more of an anomaly then a pattern.

His downfall, imo, was doing the same analysis after the first kickoff and before the bitter end club left the building.

The offense could only carry the team so long. Eventually, the offense would shut down, unable to score or get first downs. When that happened, it strained an already bad defense, and it broke. Of course, having a decent defense would have made things dramaticly different, but we didn't have it. I don't know how many times I've hoped for just one more first down to seal the win. I know, it's too much to ask of any offense to do everything themselves.

It's hard to quantify just how bad our defenses were undre Mason. You have to remember that with our zone-blocking schemes and runners like Barber/Maroney, etc. we oftern led the BigTen in rushing and ball control. Just how bad would our Defense really have been without our run game and ball control? If we had passed a lot like Purdue or run a spread with Mason, I shudder to think how much more statistically poor those defenses would have been.

I don't know how many times I've hoped for just one more first down to seal the win.

The classic was in the Dome against Wisconsin. If Maroney gets the first down on third and short, Kucek doesn't drop the ball the next play, the punt isn't blocked, the damn Badgers don't win, and we get the axe. To me that was the most painful game of the whole Mason era probably because we had to put up with their fans on the way out.

I think this was the game where the onside kick ended up way down our end of the field. (I'd better stop reminiscing about painful losses before I totally ruin my day.)

The classic was in the Dome against Wisconsin.

Defeat wrested from the hands of victory. Mason teams knew how to lose in monumentally awful ways. They should have fired that a$$hole the minute he started shopping for another job. What a slap in the face. I do begrudgingly have to tip my hat to him. He did make gopher football interesting again. I don't think anyone realizes any more how far down we were under Wacker. Still, I think just about any relatively successfull d1a coach could have straightened things out.

The classic was in the Dome against Wisconsin. If Maroney gets the first down on third and short, Kucek doesn't drop the ball the next play, the punt isn't blocked, the damn Badgers don't win, and we get the axe. To me that was the most painful game of the whole Mason era probably because we had to put up with their fans on the way out.

I think this was the game where the onside kick ended up way down our end of the field. (I'd better stop reminiscing about painful losses before I totally ruin my day.)

Dammit I'm enjoying my Friday, getting ready for a great day tomorrow and you bring this up....Does anyone know if hypnosis is effective for blocking out specific memories.

The Texas Tech game was one were just one more first down could have been enough to run the clock out. The 2003 Michigan game was one where perhaps 2 first downs more could have done it.

I'll never understand why we didn't run Russell instead of Maroney in that situation.

Why did I come back to read this thread again? I have said this before on gopherhole but I was night fishing way up north during the Meatchicken 2003 debacle in the dome. I was trolling for walleyes on one of my favorite spots. Therefore I listened to that game on the radio. From that day forward, I can't fish on that spot or even drive over it in a boat without blathering on about that Gopher loss to whomever has the misfortune of being in the boat with me.

fellas were cooking out and one guy copped the Family Guy line into 'Gophs win and I get anal....I want the house cleaned from top to bottom.' We still laugh about it.

I'll never understand why we didn't run Russell instead of Maroney in that situation.

&()#!&@ now you got me thinking about it. That is exactly what I said to my son before the play.:mad:

Dammit I'm enjoying my Friday, getting ready for a great day tomorrow and you bring this up....Does anyone know if hypnosis is effective for blocking out specific memories.

meh, what's done is done...when we win the rose bowl someday, it will make it that much sweeter...and i doubt hypnosis will do it--but I know alot of Jack Daniels helps

Top Bottom