Duane Bennett . . .

DL65

Reaction score
was on the Sports Huddle for several minutes during the first segment:

1) Credited Coach Horton and staff and the team's chemistry that turned the last two games around last year (Illinois and Iowa). Wanted the seniors and team to end the season with an exclamation point.

2) The two wins in the Big 10 last season has carried over to this year's edition. We learned to play together and prepared us (positive attitude) for the off-season.

3) Duane Bennett was recruited by Coach Mason. Picked Minnesota because of the city atmosphere and the players.

4) Marqueis Gray: In the transition phase . . . he's ready to take over . . . we're starting to learn things about Marqueis; what he likes (favors) as a QB - strengths and weakensses.

5) Kill: Great guy . . . player oriented. Coach Kill is a life coach; what you do off the field. Values learned on the field will last a lifetime.

6) Spring practices taught us what the coaches want and expect and how the sessions are run.

7) Talked briefly about his receiving abilities: "Try to do what I can as a receiver."

8) USC: A great test for us . . . playing a great team in their backyard. We're looking forward to the opportunity and the opportunities that'll present themselves in the game.

9) Referenced last season's loss to NIU: Now that they've experienced the knowledge and disciipline and the continuity of the new staff, they understand/appreciate how and why NIU won.

10) Summer workouts: Five days a week with strength coach, Eric Klein. Worked with Rallis and others in getting the players together for their informal workouts.

11) Morale: Spirits are high . . . discipline being instilled . . . little things matter . . . we're excited where we're headed.

12) Kill is a no-nonsense coach. One player (not identified) is currently under disciplinary action.

13) Team's 2.75 gpa: Coach kill is big on academics . . . do everything right, including in the classroom.

Go Gophers!!

Coach Kill will be on the Sports Huddle at 10:30 a.m.

Bennett has always come across as a great kid IMHO.

Great interview. Well spoken, polite young man. I don't know if they've chosen captains yet, but if Bennett isn't a captain, I'll eat my hat.

was on the Sports Huddle for several minutes during the first segment:

1) Credited Coach Horton and staff and the team's chemistry that turned the last two games around last year (Illinois and Iowa). Wanted the seniors and team to end the season with an exclamation point.

9) Referenced last season's loss to NIU: Now that they've experienced the knowledge and disciipline and the continuity of the new staff, they understand/appreciate how and why NIU won.

Coach Kill will be on the Sports Huddle at 10:30 a.m.

Not trying to dance on anyone's grave, but I feel these 2 items are very telling about how much better the team is being coached today vs. the previous regime. Though I have very modest expectations this season, this gets me very excited about the future of the program.

You usually hear this from upper classmen, especially good kids like Duane Bennett, but it's funny what they consider to be a "player's coach". It's such an open idea....

It seems like when a lot of players are young, they consider a "fun" coach who doesn't yell a lot to be a "player's coach".

But it seems like by the time they are upperclassmen, it's about a coach who is smart enough to utilize them in the right way and is fair (plays the best player).

I just don't think anyone who has been at a practice would think of Coach Kill as one of those rah-rah generic versions of a "player's coach". He gets in guy's faces, demands excellance, works their tails off, etc. I think it shows the maturity of a guy like Bennett to realize that Coach Kill really is a "player's coach".

You usually hear this from upper classmen, especially good kids like Duane Bennett, but it's funny what they consider to be a "player's coach". It's such an open idea....

It seems like when a lot of players are young, they consider a "fun" coach who doesn't yell a lot to be a "player's coach".

But it seems like by the time they are upperclassmen, it's about a coach who is smart enough to utilize them in the right way and is fair (plays the best player).

I just don't think anyone who has been at a practice would think of Coach Kill as one of those rah-rah generic versions of a "player's coach". He gets in guy's faces, demands excellance, works their tails off, etc. I think it shows the maturity of a guy like Bennett to realize that Coach Kill really is a "player's coach".

Well, it's not unlike how in high school you like the easy teachers who are fun and nice, but by the end of college you start to appreciate those that demanded more from you.

A players coach is any coach who teaches while at the same time allowing you to have fun and feel good.

There were many players who loved coach Kill and his staff so in a way this isn't a suprise that Bennett believes he is a players coach. Nice to see.

Top Bottom