Doogie: How about Dutcher with Ben Johnson as coach-in-waiting? Dutch was that under Fisher.

Ok, I've had enough Sam talk. Why did Sam quit at Memphis and why has he not pursued another college job before or after? With a slew of candidates who've put in time and have had results in the college game why would we need to go the Sam Mitchell route? I've been a Wolves fan from the Sam pre-KG days but he makes zero sense.

Last edited:

I like Jim Peterson with Marnie as the coach in waiting. They seem like nice people.
Doogie is an idiot.

Agree. I especially don't get the obsession with Ben Johnson.
Dutcher was an assistant to Fisher for 28 years and now he's going to hire Ben Johnson, who has never been assistant at San Diego State, as coach-in-waiting at the U? What is the actual basis for this idea?

Please hire Smith/Medved/Gates or someone similar that has put the time in and built a program and not a name like Saunders or Mitchell. Too often schools try to win the press conference with a name, not often does it work out.

Coaches will pick their own staff.

Yes agreed 100. This job is a tough build already, you will need to have a staff that is on your side and not waiting to take your job. Also in Johnson’s case; why would he come back in another lateral move? He’s the asst HC at Xavier. If he wants to be a HC, his next voluntary move will that. Ben’s young and can do some grinding being a HC at the lower levels. In all honesty, how often has the HC in waiting gone really well?

There are other assistants with MN ties we can hire besides Ben. Nuness would be a gold mine if you could get him, but he may be like Johnson where his next job is as a HC. Gameli for USD would be a great get, honestly it sounded like Mailhot was well liked this year and could be worth a look at being retained if the new coach wants that MN connected guy for recruiting. I think we gotta move off the idea of Ben Johnson coming back here unless it’s as a HC and that will hopefully be in 15-20 years when the next one we hire retires after being wildly successful

Mchale with Bickerstaff, Saunders, Medved, Thorson,!Damian Johnson, Kris Humphries dad, Jim Dutcher, Ben Johnson and Doogie as director of basketball ops.

Mchale with Bickerstaff, Saunders, Medved, Thorson,!Damian Johnson, Kris Humphries dad, Jim Dutcher, Ben Johnson and Doogie as director of basketball ops.
IALTO. I forgot about Mr. Humphries!

Agree.

BTW, didn't I read of this idea last week on this site?

I could see Ben back at the U in 5-7 years if he has success as a head coach at the mid major level to be head coach here. Otherwise not so much.

Top Bottom