Doogie: Embarrassment at Big House makes it time to bench veterans

Rosemountain,

You are so right and anyone who would disagree is so wrong it isn't even worth debating. Besides the fact said player would be giving up potentially a FULL season as a 23 year old veteran, he would also be giving up tens of thousands in FREE education. Why? So he could have the privillage of gettiing his ass handed to him.

Summary:
Play now on a horrible team in the meat of the schedule against the toughest competition and get destroyed by future NFL'ers or keep your redshirt, get bigger, stronger and play in 2015 when the team is supposedly better and turned around.....all while taking a small class load and completing your master degree.

Yeah... tough choice.

+1

- 5 years on scholarship > 4
- I'm much more likely going to be a meaningful contributor as a 5th year senior with a full schedule than a true freshman with only 7 games remaining

Everybody wants to play. That's not the question. However, there's a finite amount of time that I can play college football. I'd rather contribute for 4 full years. Wanting to burn your redshirt after 5+ games into your freshman year is just stupid. If you were good enough to play as a true freshman, you'd already be playing (i.e. Laurence
Maroney).

That doesn't mean the freshman wouldn't accept playing. I'm sure there are some dying to get onto the field. Doesn't make it smart. Makes it dumb.

Why does the player have a choice? Aren't they here to play football (and being paid for it)? If the coach says you play, then you play or you get off the team.

Imagine a true Freshman surpassing the starter and now happen to be the best player at his position after five games. Or the second best and the starter goes down with an injury. The coach tells him its time to see some PT. And you think the player would tell the coach to take a hike??

The players come to play and are just one practice or play away from never playing again. I would jump at the chance and worry about year five later.

Rosemountain,

You are so right and anyone who would disagree is so wrong it isn't even worth debating. Besides the fact said player would be giving up potentially a FULL season as a 23 year old veteran, he would also be giving up tens of thousands in FREE education. Why? So he could have the privillage of gettiing his ass handed to him.

Summary:
Play now on a horrible team in the meat of the schedule against the toughest competition and get destroyed by future NFL'ers or keep your redshirt, get bigger, stronger and play in 2015 when the team is supposedly better and turned around.....<B>all while taking a small class load and completing your master degree.</B>

Yeah... tough choice.

Unless you are doing summer classes or came in with a ton of AP credit, there is absolutely NO WAY you can take a small class load and complete a Masters Degree in 5 years. I some how doubt that a lot of players on this team care about a Masters Degree. As per Kills Press Conference, when he started this job there were 22 players academically ineligible, he also stated that he is still babysitting players and getting on them to go to class. Yeah that sure sounds like they are working towards a Masters Degree or any education for that matter.

So much can happen four years from now?? Why wouldn't you want to play NOW? Maybe i could see if there was 1 game left in the season, but over half of the season?

They are all competitive, and want to get out there right now. There might be good, rational reasons to redshirt, and get an extra year of college and be even better in year 5 than you would have been in year 4, but that doesn't necessarily override the competitive desire to play now. The desire to play now may be what you need to have a winner, but redshirting players may also be what you need to win.

Another reason to burn your redshirt is if you have any thought of transferring. If you do, might as well play as much as you can as you will lose the year anyways.

Every situation is different. Period. There is no blanket statement that is true for every player. I think people/fans put WAY too much emphasis on a player RS'ing. Nobody has a single clue what the roster is going to look like next year, much less 4 years from now. 7 games of BT experience is nothing to sneeze at at this point. A couple of games from now, yes, that's asking a lot more of a player.

I didn't RS, didn't even think about it actually. As it turns out, I made the right decision but like I said, it's different for everybody. Hard to paint everybody with the same broad brush.

Again, the timing is a big thing; right now, there are 7 BT games left in the season. That's a LOT of football to be played, a lot of lessons to be learned, a lot of experience to be gained. If it were 5 games or less, my answer would probably be different.

Having actually played at the D1 level, I can tell you that nobody on my team would have even considered not playing. That is why you are there, and that mentality is why we went to bowl games.

Having coached a year of college football I can tell you that your team is not the same as every team on the planet.

Having some minor knowledge of our Courts system I can tell you your statement would be given an objection of speculation and the objection would be sustained.

I simply said I think a coach who tells a kid to redshirt for Half a season and then changes his mind is being selfish.
I also said I would not do it.
I also said players would be smart not to do it.

You can disagree with me if you want, but don't make stuff up like pretending you can speak for every member of your college football team. I am sure all of your teammates always told you exactly what they thought about everything.

In IT for the ∫e ͯ;442125 said:
Unless you are doing summer classes or came in with a ton of AP credit, there is absolutely NO WAY you can take a small class load and complete a Masters Degree in 5 years. I some how doubt that a lot of players on this team care about a Masters Degree. As per Kills Press Conference, when he started this job there were 22 players academically ineligible, he also stated that he is still babysitting players and getting on them to go to class. Yeah that sure sounds like they are working towards a Masters Degree or any education for that matter.

Scholarship athletes should be attending class all year round. They are here for summer workouts so most will take a class or 3. They may not graduate with a masters but they can be a long way into it by the end of year 5.

Kills comments? I agree with him. They must be soft and stupid.....to allow someone to publicly call them soft and stupid and not respond.

Why does the player have a choice? Aren't they here to play football (and being paid for it)? If the coach says you play, then you play or you get off the team.

Technically you are correct. Usually the coach informs/tells the player he's redshirting. He talks to the player and parents (depending on age) to lift the redshirt. Coaches understandably move from one job to the next because it is best for their career, why would anyone not expect a player to do what is best for HIS career?

So much can happen four years from now?? Why wouldn't you want to play NOW? Maybe i could see if there was 1 game left in the season, but over half of the season?

Redshirts spend their week as scout team players. That run the plays of that weeks opponents. They don't get practice reps until December when we will have time before getting ready for a............. Hah hell! Never mind.

My point is they haven't gotten meaningful reps in weeks. There can be exceptions but this is the norm.

Imagine a true Freshman surpassing the starter and now happen to be the best player at his position after five games. Or the second best and the starter goes down with an injury. The coach tells him its time to see some PT. And you think the player would tell the coach to take a hike??

The players come to play and are just one practice or play away from never playing agai n. I would jump at the chance and worry about year five later.

I would prefer to imagine Janet Jackson coming to my home and begging me to ravage her and my wife saying "don't just stand there, enjoy yourself!" But if I must. Just like you wouldn't allow your 18 year child (technically they are adults but parents know better) to negotiate with a car salesman or military recruiter, you don't allow them to make that decision without your input.

I would prefer to imagine Janet Jackson coming to my home and begging me to ravage her and my wife saying "don't just stand there, enjoy yourself!" But if I must. Just like you wouldn't allow your 18 year child (technically they are adults but parents know better) to negotiate with a car salesman or military recruiter, you don't allow them to make that decision without your input.

Input is fine. But making a decision is their responsibility. There comes a time when parents have to step aside.

But we, my wife and I, are not the ones out their busting butt everyday on the practice field/weight/class rooms. If our son wanted it badly, we would give him our blessing, be there to support him and not to worry about the future. Worst case scenerio would be a 5th year, a student loan and a bit of help from us. Student loans were good enough for our other kids and they would be thrilled if they only had one year of SL's versus four.

Having coached a year of college football I can tell you that your team is not the same as every team on the planet.

Having some minor knowledge of our Courts system I can tell you your statement would be given an objection of speculation and the objection would be sustained.

I simply said I think a coach who tells a kid to redshirt for Half a season and then changes his mind is being selfish.
I also said I would not do it.
I also said players would be smart not to do it.

You can disagree with me if you want, but don't make stuff up like pretending you can speak for every member of your college football team. I am sure all of your teammates always told you exactly what they thought about everything.

So its not OK for the 12th man to speak up but OK for you.

Rosemount does not equal the last word.

Top Bottom