Does Shortell get tired?

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
Shortell (this week, last week and last year) looks great on his first couple of opening drives of a half. The balls are really well thrown and on target. Yet as he progresses he starts throwing less accurate and less crisp. Anyone else notice this? Hopefully this changes as when he is on, he looks fantastic.

It's hard to argue with the results but when they get a lead, Limegrover's play-calling gets EXTREMELY conservative. Wow. I think as much as anyone else, Limegrover had trouble finding a rhythm with the plays.

Maybe conservative isn't even the word but these last two games, in the second half, it's harder to figure out what they're trying to do when they've gotten the double-digit leads in both games (other than the obvious, killing the clock and not turning it over)

Shortell (this week, last week and last year) looks great on his first couple of opening drives of a half. The balls are really well thrown and on target. Yet as he progresses he starts throwing less accurate and less crisp. Anyone else notice this? Hopefully this changes as when he is on, he looks fantastic.

The announcers said they thought he was taking quite a few hits after releasing some and that may have affected him. Idk I didn't see him take too many shots. Also some of the balls he threw should have been caught even though they were tight windows to his receivers. Overall I thought Shortell played a pretty good game and didn't force anything or turn it over, the latter being the most important point.

some missed opportunities on O and some passes that max would like to have back.

No turnovers and no major gaffs by max. Offense will keep improving.

Just so we all know... If Gray had the statline that Shortell had tonight he would be getting drilled be all of you guys.

I don't think it's a matter of him getting tired nor is it a problem with playcalling. The playcalling argument could only be made by people who didn't watch the game. It wasn't that Max couldn't find open receivers because of our predictablity. Max had some open receivers and he wasn't accurate at times. I am thinking of the out to Fruechte and a couple thrown behind barker. The receivers were there, they were open and the ball wasn't delivered where it needed to be. That has nothing to do with poor playcalling, it was poor execution.

That said, I'm not ripping on him at all. I think he played good. I think the problem with him at times is that he's super talented, but he's young. He is going to make some mistakes and he isn't going to be Aaron Rodgers. He also doesn't get bailed out by legs. Every third down and more than 3, he needs to make the right throw. That's a lot of pressure and often we only remember the inaccurate throws and forget the good throws on third down.

I think Coach Kill said it best. Max plays best when he doesn't think. At the beginning of the game, Max was great. We could have been up a lot more in the first half. Barker dropped catch in endzone, then missed field goal. then later another missed field goal, then a TD called back on a penalty. Second half, we were more conservative, sometimes forced to throw on third cause they were stopping the run. Max over threw some, put too much arm into some. Kind of like what a nervous QB would do. Like the easy screens. I think I saw him miss like 2 or 3, by throwing too hard or too high.

Max did a better job in his first start of the season than mg did in his first start this year..and against a much better team. Also no turnovers.

Edit: I believe mg had 6 fumbles in his first 2.5 games this year.

He missed on three gimmies that could've iced the game.

AJ could have bailed him out once or twice too.

Can I also add that the low snaps are getting annoying? Max still had to take 3-4 snaps off his shoes. That's down from the 8-10 in the previous games.

Top Bottom