Does anyone on GH really know how Gray has done in practice?

Some are arguing for a permanent change. My argument is simply for a series.

I don't think it's fair to either Weber or Gray with the shuffling. Where's the harm in letitng Weber have 2-3 series for every 1 of Gray? Some would arguing neither could get into a rhythm. I would argue it's more difficult to get into a rhythm with the shuffling per play.

PS - By the way, the team is 100% behind Weber and a change before spring drills would have the potential for a mutiny.

That might be what they are saying, but when you look at the receivers after each poorly thrown ball you can see differently in their body language and in their eyes that they are extremely frustrated with Weber. Especially McKnight and Troy, and even Bryant Allen in his limited action.

Some are arguing for a permanent change. My argument is simply for a series.

I don't think it's fair to either Weber or Gray with the shuffling. Where's the harm in letitng Weber have 2-3 series for every 1 of Gray? Some would arguing neither could get into a rhythm. I would argue it's more difficult to get into a rhythm with the shuffling per play.

Very good point.

I agree Gray hasn't gotten enough time in to make any sort of detrmination. And as a scientist I am always reluctant to jump to any conclusion off of 1 data point. But that interception he threw last Saturday was awful. Granted, he came into the game cold, but if he's making that same mistake in practice then the coaches are right to keep Gray on the sidelines.

That might be what they are saying, but when you look at the receivers after each poorly thrown ball you can see differently in their body language and in their eyes that they are extremely frustrated with Weber. Especially McKnight and Troy, and even Bryant Allen in his limited action.

They need to grow up. To Weber's credit, he has not shown with his body language and his eyes that he is extremely frustrated with the many dropped passes by McKnight and Troy.

Also, FireDaveLee is right. One full series for Gray for every two or three by Weber. It would help both.

My hole point in benching Weber earlier this season was for these reason's

Getting Gray a series or two would be valuable for one to two years from now.
Weber, the guy has been hit so much, some of it the line some of it him, I thought it would be good for him to sit on the sidelines and watch what is happening from that viewpoint to get a coaches perspective of what is happening with the line from the sideline.
When you have made the kind of mistakes that Weber has and other players have been benched
for said mistakes it kind of makes it look like there is a double standard. QB's should get a bigger leash and there is no doubt get more reign to make mistakes but some of his have been consistently bad. Once in a while there has to be a consequence to an egregeous mistake.
I have never thought benching Weber in favor of Gray, would be a good option, because gray does not look like he knows the play's well enough yet to run the show. Takes time, and repetitions for that.
I wanted to throw Gray in there against Illinois because I thought the experience and maybe his athleticism could make something happen spark a comeback. Turns out Weber and the defense did spark a comeback.
A lot of this stuff would be moot if we could just get the line and the backs on the same page and generate a few more explosive plays from the running game.
I never looked at it as punishment for Weber but more for improvement for the team in the future.
Gray does have some instincts and athleticism that you cannot teach and he looks like he recognizes what the defense is doing at the line it is the experience or poise factor that will have to come with time. Sometimes it takes young mind longer to focus in and learn from the mistakes, hence if he is turning the ball over a lot a lot of that could be due to trying to do a little to much or trying to hard to impress his teamates and coaches. Getting a little more success in making plays may aleve some of those mistakes.

Some guys are just great athletes. They shine only when they are playing, and they produce. They won't wow you in meetings or walk throughs, or drills, but they'll dominate on the field of play. There is only one way to find out.

first of all, gray is a very bright kid, absolutely ridiculous for anyone to say hes too dumb, he hasnt gotten many snaps with the first team, and i really think schnoodler has a good point, gray is someone who could evade the rush that will inevitably be there

Yeah, and Vince Young was a hot mess his first year and THEN he blossomed. To say Gray's QB time here is done is ridiculous. Give the kid some time to figure things out and then we'll see what's up.

And this is exactly why I have been clamoring for Gray to start, especially after Decker went down. Our ceiling then was a crappy bowl. Might as well throw Gray in and let him work out the kinks, so he will be that much better a couple years from now when we have all our talented recruits in the upperclass.

It might not have worked out, but it was worth a shot. A gamble to see if we can really exceed in the future. But instead we played it safe and settled for mediocrity, and isn't that the attitude that led to Mason's demise?

He's a freshman for crip sakes, why do you think most schools avoid starting freshmen at QB? It's a huge adjustment from high school, it takes time, what happened to patience????

I have some connections with gophers the word is he can run offense but will fog out and doesn't focus. Case in point the roll out pass in the iowa game completely no reason to throw that intro he just doesn't lock into the play. So if weber, recievers, lineman and coach look confused then gray is in trouble it is not fair to him that the offense has no flow, its predictable and not suitable to this teams personal

I watched a SoCal high school game tonight on the tube. Matt Barklay's (sp) team, Mater Dei, played and lost. Barcklay was at the game and was on the air for a few minutes. He was asked the biggest difference between HS and D1 ball. In about a 1/2 second he said, "the amount the QB needs to know in the college game; the play called, your teammates assignments, the opponent's defense, the opponent's tendencies in that defense, adjustments after the snap." He said its endless. I think that Gray in overwhelmed. I hope the he eventually catches on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studwell55 View Post
No excuses. Find a way to get Gray on the field with the ball in his hands. No more excuses going into next year. Gray has The Glide. You can't coach that.

"Agreed, give Gray the reins and let him loose, build the offensive plan around him and get out of the way."

"Give Gray the reins"? That's not what Studwell said. Read it again. He said "Find a way to get Gray on the field with the ball in his hands.". If that means playing some WR when not taking his snaps at QB then that's what we have to do. At least that's how I read his post.

Agreed, give Gray the reins and let him loose, build the offensive plan around him and get out of the way.

Or maybe they're frustrated because they just ran the wrong route AGAIN and know they're coming out for another ass chewing?

Here's the bottom line....Adam Weber is the starting QB this year and will be next year. He's not quitting football. Gray's not going to start while Weber's here (Barring injury). Alipate is not going to leapfrog Weber. Weber is going to learn this system inside out and return to his All Big-10 form next season once he's mastered it.

Gray is not transferring. He's just having a tough time as many Freshmen do and will work his way through it. He's not starting or even playing significant minutes at QB because he's not ready to. He's trying to learn a complex NCAA playbook, adjust to the speed of the Big-10 and lose some bad habits that he was able to get away with at the High School level (Carrying the ball like a loaf of bread, not selling fake handoffs well). Brewster is looking for ways to get him on the field in however he can because he is a superb talent (Just as he said he would from day 1). If that means taking some snaps at WR, RB, H Back, TE or whatever, then that's what they'll do. That doesn't mean he's not a future star. Give him another year studying the system and getting some experience and he'll likely develop into the player we all want him to be.

Moses Alipate. As recently as 60 days ago there were actually posts here suggesting he be moved to TE, lol. The kid has prototype NFL QB size, a great arm and by all accounts is an academic type (I don't mean to be racist & stereotype Tongans as being really smart). I doubt he's leapfrogged Gray but could it happen, yes. If and when that ever happens (2011 at the earliest) then that's a good thing! It means Brew's "Bring in one top QB every year" philosophy that he brought from the top programs is working and we now have depth.

I'm trying to figure out how saying Gray is too dumb to play QB and needs to be moved to WR can't be construed as racist but I can't quite get there.
Maybe because the color of his skin has nothing to do with whether he's smart enough to master the offense. Brains don't have skin color.

Fisch's roots are in the passing offense Steve Spurrier ran at Florida. Spurrier had QBs @ Florida who couldn't figure it out - some might say he's been unable to find any QB at South Carolina, regardless of color, who can figure it out.

The most spectacular example of highly regarded QBs who never mastered Spurrier's passing game was Bobby Sabelhaus. Bobby was a Parade All-American in the mid 90s; he had the size & arm, but "even though he was white", he couldn't master the offense. /sarc off

Top Bottom