Do You Believe in Aliens?

I tend to think that the aliens came to Earth, studied humanity, and said "F*ck this dump, let's go find someplace worth visiting."

Deep thought - what if the aliens judged the entire species - the human race - based on the posts on the Off-topic Board? if that was the case, they would have probably have nuked or zapped the Earth on the spot just to protect the rest of the universe.

Also a good point. I've read some theories as to why civilizations might "plateau". Entertainment is one of them. As entertain becomes more advanced and engrossing, the drive for discovery decreases. I think we're seeing that in our own society. Everything revolves around entertainment nowadays.
Our beloved university would beg to differ, mister.

dtd.jpg

There’s a good podcast called The end of the world that covers a bunch of existential threats we may face. It’s pretty interesting.
My major anxiety: due to whatever reason or combo of reasons (e.g., societal collapse, zombie apocalypse), enough nuclear power plants are left unattended that their meltdowns irreparably poison the world, ending the majority of life. It would be like "On The Beach."

Yes! And our entire solar system could be but a single atom comprising the thumbnail of another being.

Check out Mark Twains novelette, "The Great Dark". Its little more than a short story and speaks to your point.

Considering the size of the universe, it's all but guaranteed that intelligent life has developed somewhere. Considering the nature of a planet like this in the Goldilocks zone, it's almost hard to PREVENT evolutionary life from occurring.

Statistics suggest there is life out there, and intelligent life at that. I'm not sure that I buy that, statistically, they'd both choose to visit the planet earth and have the means to get here...

There’s a good podcast called The end of the world that covers a bunch of existential threats we may face. It’s pretty interesting.

Angry, are you suggesting that you do not think manmade global warming is a hoax perpetuated by science, driven by the Chinese to bring down the U.S.? :unsure:

Statistics suggest there is life out there, and intelligent life at that. I'm not sure that I buy that, statistically, they'd both choose to visit the planet earth and have the means to get here...

Angry, are you suggesting that you do not think manmade global warming is a hoax perpetuated by science, driven by the Chinese to bring down the U.S.? :unsure:
Check out Mark Twains novelette, "The Great Dark". Its little more than a short story and speaks to your point.

We actually read that narrative in professor Jennings philosophy class at Faber College.

Our oversized moon, the location of Jupiter, our Iron core, a cataclysmic impact that devastated rival life, etc. A lot had to happen just so, for us to be. I would be surprised at a lot of intelligent life, but don’t fret there probably alien life in our solar system ie Europa, Titian.

You're right, a lot of stuff had to happen for us to be here. But we're not the only intelligent beings on planet Earth. Ravens, Dolphins, squirrels, many dogs and cats are all quite intelligent, to name but a few. Perhaps one of these species will evolve to equal our intelligence in 10 or 20 million years.

I vote for squirrels--they have prehensile forepaws that allow them to manipulate objects and are incredibly inventive. Our best minds have been unable to invent squirrel-proof suet feeders.

You're right, a lot of stuff had to happen for us to be here. But we're not the only intelligent beings on planet Earth. Ravens, Dolphins, squirrels, many dogs and cats are all quite intelligent, to name but a few. Perhaps one of these species will evolve to equal our intelligence in 10 or 20 million years.

I vote for squirrels--they have prehensile forepaws that allow them to manipulate objects and are incredibly inventive. Our best minds have been unable to invent squirrel-proof suet feeders.
Could be very true.

Once humans aren't on Earth anymore (when we kill ourselves or leave), and the planet recovers, would be very interesting to come back a few tens of millions of years later, and see what's going on.

It's all about evolutionary pressure/natural selection. If adding more brains significantly increases the chances of survival, there's a chance that the biology could evolve that way.

There was the bombshell when we found out that Enik was an ancestor of the Sleestak, and not the other way around. Violence and brawn were favored by evolution in that case.

F#ck squirrels. I will kill every last one of them.

The best improvement to this forum is that when you quote Mnpls whatever stupid sh!t he wrote is still blocked since I ignored him. It really is the best!
I'm glad that has worked out well for you

Top Bottom