Do we expect any Gophers to opt out of bowl game?

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Do we anticipate anyone opting out of the bowl game to ready themselves for the combine and draft as seems to be the trend for non CFP bowl teams?

I think this is the new norm.

I’m ok with it. The incentives are just too strong and I don’t disagree with the choice to opt out.

Faalele won’t play for sure. I’d expect a few others as well.
Yup. Can't imagine you'll see Faalele regardless. For the other guys, I think opponent and the advice of agents/scouts is what it will come down to. If you've already had a great season and are a lock to be picked high, there's not much to gain in a bowl game. If you're a mid to low round pick (or worse) and have a juicy bowl matchup, it might be worth playing one final game against good competition to impress.

Mafe is our only other candidate to be drafted "high" (top 4 rounds or so?), but he's also a Minnesotan through and through, so I could see him playing regardless. I just don't think anybody else is highly regarded enough to pass up the chance to play one more game.

I’m ok with it. The incentives are just too strong and I don’t disagree with the choice to opt out.
if it were rose bowl, i'd be a little annoyed, but I'm not going to stress it

players choice and I understand with all money on line.

Slab you are always a man of reason, tell me, why would Faalele play in Senior bowl and not in bowl Gophers are in?

Slab you are always a man of reason, tell me, why would Faalele play in Senior bowl and not in bowl Gophers are in?
Senior bowl is very heavily scouted-especially the practices. He will get tons of 1 on 1 reps against other likely draft picks. The actual game isn’t the reason to play in the senior bowl—it’s the week before where you can prove yourself. No one is scouting gopher practices when he is going against backups and walk ons.

Senior bowl is very heavily scouted-especially the practices. He will get tons of 1 on 1 reps against other likely draft picks. The actual game isn’t the reason to play in the senior bowl—it’s the week before where you can prove yourself. No one is scouting gopher practices when he is going against backups and walk ons.
Nailed it. Senior bowl is really not about the game itself at all. It is the exposure gained from the week of practices leading up to the game.

Faalele would seem like a guaranteed opt out for the bowl game. Tougher to say on others.

Top Bottom