Different Opinion on Nelsons Redshirt

I guess another way to look at it is if Streveler can be Nelson's replacement, you put 2 years between the 2 of them if Streveler is redshirted.

Do we know for a fact that both Gray and Shortell weren't healthy enought to play QB?

I agree with the thought that if Gray stays healthy, Nelson stays redshirted. Really not sure what is going on with Shortell, especially since most attention seems on Gray/Nelson.

As for Gray not being happy, it is what it is Q. He needs to have his ankles 100% in order to be effective. He is a Duel Threat, nor pro style. He needs to be a threat to run, and as a QB, he just is not.

Personally think the burning the red shirt is having to deal with the reality of the situation. They lack depth at QB. Until they get that developed, Red shirts need to be considered more a luxury and not necessarily a priority or sacrifice.

It would not surprise me to see Shortell consider transferring at the end of year, though he might want to give it one more year shot since Gray will be gone and he is once again in the top 2 choices. If he improves, he may win out.

Also, there is no substitute for experience. Though this year may end up being somewhat lost, at the same time, Nelson and many of the other young players do get valuable experience. Basically they need their next QB redshirted and go from there.

The experience he gains this year will pay dividends next year.

It would not surprise me to see Shortell consider transferring at the end of year, though he might want to give it one more year shot since Gray will be gone and he is once again in the top 2 choices. If he improves, he may win out.

Also, there is no substitute for experience. Though this year may end up being somewhat lost, at the same time, Nelson and many of the other young players do get valuable experience. Basically
they need their next QB redshirted and go from there.

My man; the moment they removed Nelsons red shirt in the middle of the season, the QB for the next two years barring injury was determined. Shortell will never be given an opportunity to win this job.

My man; the moment they removed Nelsons red shirt in the middle of the season, the QB for the next two years barring injury was determined. Shortell will never be given an opportunity to win this job.

I expect the best QB to lead the team the next 2 years...If Shortell beats him out next year, then so be it...

He WAS given an opportunity to win the job. He just failed at it. He's not the first or last kid that's going to happen to, but he did get his shot.

I expect the best QB to lead the team the next 2 years...If Shortell beats him out next year, then so be it...

Its not that simple. Nelson took one for the team in giving up his red shirt half way through the season. There will be growing pains and regardless how bad it gets he will not be sent back to the bench. He will be given far more latitude than Shortell. Simply put, he could play worse than Shortell and he won't be pulled.

While I don't agree with the decision to leap frog Nelson over Shortell, once the decision was made Kill can't ruin Nelsons confidence by pulling him when things go wrong. Kill made the tough call and he knows he is married to it. Nelson will be the QB who determines if Kill gets another contract....which means Kill is pretty damn confident he is the guy.

He WAS given an opportunity to win the job. He just failed at it. He's not the first or last kid that's going to happen to, but he did get his shot.

No he wasn't. He was the backup QB thrust into the starting role and offense for the starting QB. If what you say is true then Nelson will be pulled if he doesn't perform at least as well as Shortell or Gray did.....which won't happen.

It is clear Shortell is not the right fit for Limegrover's offense due to his lack of running ability. I agree that baring injury/garbage time Shortell's days of playing QB for the U are over no matter what Kill says. If Max is on the roster next year I will be shocked.

No he wasn't. He was the backup QB thrust into the starting role and offense for the starting QB. If what you say is true then Nelson will be pulled if he doesn't perform at least as well as Shortell or Gray did.....which won't happen.

No, that's the same Offense they ran at UNI isn't it? They didn't design the Offense for Gray, he just fit into it better than Shortell did. Nelson also supposedly fits into it better than Shortell would. Max did a bad job throwing the ball but the Coaches and some of the guys on here wouldn't have spent so much time telling us that Shortell was a "better runner than you think he is" if running the ball wasn't integral to Limegrover's Offense.

Don't know if Limegrover even has offered-up a different type of Offense in his career.

As for your other point, I don't want to speculate what happens if Nelson looks bad too. Don't even want to think about it actually. :banghead:

No, that's the same Offense they ran at UNI isn't it? They didn't design the Offense for Gray, he just fit into it better than Shortell did. Nelson also supposedly fits into it better than Shortell would. Max did a bad job throwing the ball but the Coaches and some of the guys on here wouldn't have spent so much time telling us that Shortell was a "better runner than you think he is" if running the ball wasn't integral to Limegrover's Offense.

Don't know if Limegrover even has offered-up a different type of Offense in his career.

As for your other point, I don't want to speculate what happens if Nelson looks bad too. Don't even want to think about it actually. :banghead:

You are correct on all accounts. Actually both of Kills coordinators are one trick ponies. I believe the offensive scheme can work with the correct players. I don't see the defensive scheme working at all in the big ten. You must keep the backers clean (versus d-lineman pass rushing every down) and if your db's are gonna be making 70-80 tackles a year....you had better have a bunch of them.

It is clear Shortell is not the right fit for Limegrover's offense due to his lack of running ability. I agree that baring injury/garbage time Shortell's days of playing QB for the U are over no matter what Kill says. If Max is on the roster next year I will be shocked.

Max will still be a backup and on the roster next year. Problem was not so much his running ability, but rather his accuracy.

Agreed.

On a positive note, I have heard nothing but positive things on Nelson. Folks have been saying this kid is the real deal.

I believe Shortell's fate was doomed the minute Nelson committed. I think the coaching staff was
hoping for more improvement from Gray and figured Shortell would serve as a backup and not
play. Nelson and Shortell would "compete" for the QB job in spring football, Nelson would win the
battle in a VERY close race by the 2nd practice and Shortell would willing serve as backup next
year believing he still had a chance to win he position. Unfortunately all pretense went out the
door the moment they pulled Nelson's red shirt.

Actually when I think about it, this may be a blessing in disguise for Shortell. This kid is a player and he now knows where he stands.

Top Bottom