Did this warrant an ejection?? Gard sure thinks so....

That is a deceptive image. Davis knee gave way which caused defender to fall into Davis as Davis was collapsing. If your image showed the whole body down to the floor you would see the actual issue. This image, cropped as it is, gives a false representation of what happened.
An argument for a flagrant one could be made, but the correct call would be just a regular foul. The flagrant two was just a homer call with no merit.
Did we get a diagnosis? If it's a sprain or hyperextension, it definitely happened before the contact.

Looks to me like Nebraska guy is looking to make the "LeBron-like" block from behind and is getting ready to swing his arm to block, but Davis throws the ball up earlier than he expected because Davis was losing his balance so it ends up no ball to block. In the under the basket camera angle you can almost see the Nebraska guy try to stop his arm but it is too late. Bad miscalculation by the Nebraska player, definitely his fault, but I do not think it was meant as a dirty play.

I'd say flagrant one, but not sure it warrants ejection.

That said, I also think a compounding factor not mentioned much is that the ref called the foul on the earlier trip, so Nebraska guy should have stopped and not even made a play at the ball, which came 2-3 steps after the whistle blew. The flagrant contact comes well after the initial whistle blew. That may have played a part in the reasoning for the ejection, too.

Did we get a diagnosis? If it's a sprain or hyperextension, it definitely happened before the contact.
I watched the replay a dozen times. Any knee injury would have to happen before contact. You can see Davis knee buckle, which is precisely why the kid from Nebraska awkwardly falls on Davis and lands the way he does. This whole thing was a series of accidents that were in no way malicious or flagrant. The refs, in this case, were purely homer in their call.

I watched the replay a dozen times. Any knee injury would have to happen before contact. You can see Davis knee buckle, which is precisely why the kid from Nebraska awkwardly falls on Davis and lands the way he does. This whole thing was a series of accidents that were in no way malicious or flagrant. The refs, in this case, were purely homer in their call.

Its been reported as an ankle injury and Davis told BTN he will play in BTT.

We all have opinions... I don't see how anybody can say that is a basketball play. He attempts to smash his face with his elbow. There is no attempt to block the shot. The intent is to punish Davis.
All good thugs "act" innocent. Look at Davison following every one of his cheap shots.

Not how he got hurt...he was off balance but the play is dirty. Kick him out.

I have advocated for Wisconsin twice in a month now. Don't feel comfortable doing that.

We all have opinions... I don't see how anybody can say that is a basketball play. He attempts to smash his face with his elbow. There is no attempt to block the shot. The intent is to punish Davis.
Not even close to reality with your post.
The hit in the face happened by accident when Davis fell off balance and McGowens came down off balance precisely because of Davis' misstep.
Blame Davis if you blame anybody.
Homer reffing at the Kohl. Surprise, surprise.

Just my opinion, but I have a hard time taking the protestations of a coach who supports Brad Davison's on-court behavior seriously. Sorry Greg, you get what you get in this case.

It’s a valid point. Davidson has a record of intentionally committing subtle but flagrant fouls. While I don’t condone what happened to Davis, it’s a little disingenuous to whine about the Davis foul while you accept Davidson’s actions. .

Not even close to reality with your post.
The hit in the face happened by accident when Davis fell off balance and McGowens came down off balance precisely because of Davis' misstep.
Blame Davis if you blame anybody.
Homer reffing at the Kohl. Surprise, surprise.
Davis going off balance makes it easier to block the shot as he didn't get as high....there is zero attempt to block the shot.

Davis going off balance makes it easier to block the shot as he didn't get as high....there is zero attempt to block the shot.
You are simply wrong. McGowen jumping up shows his intention was to block a shot. But when Davis tripped into McGowen it through Davis center of gravity off and the result was McGowens elbow unfortunately landing where it did. It was 100% an innocent accident. With the rules as they are, I could accept the accident being a flagrant 1, but the flagrant 2 call was completely bogus.

All good thugs "act" innocent. Look at Davison following every one of his cheap shots.

Not how he got hurt...he was off balance but the play is dirty. Kick him out.

I have advocated for Wisconsin twice in a month now. Don't feel comfortable doing that.
I guess I just wonder what would've happened if Davison makes this same play????
Commentators: "What a great hustle play preventing that layup.......what a gritty player....that's his football mentality....did you know that he grew up a Gopher fan???"
:)

Not that it matters, but I don't think that's correct. He was falling and threw the ball up sooner than expected and never reached the height the Nebraska thought he would reach so he started to swing his arm and was left with no ball there to block. If the Wisconsin player is elevated at a normal height, the Nebraska guy is there to attempt to block an actual ball.

You are simply wrong. McGowen jumping up shows his intention was to block a shot. But when Davis tripped into McGowen it through Davis center of gravity off and the result was McGowens elbow unfortunately landing where it did. It was 100% an innocent accident. With the rules as they are, I could accept the accident being a flagrant 1, but the flagrant 2 call was completely bogus.
I agree 100% with this. Just the way I saw it.

Top Bottom