Did he even have a Gopher hat on the table??

U2Gopher

Reaction score
I'm asking because on ESPN's ticker, they didn't even list Minnesota as a school he was considering. They said he chose USC over OSU, Miami, Notre Dame and Florida.

Not that it really matters.........

Yes. They had jerseys and hats for all 6 schools, including Minnesota.

He just said that Ohio State was second on his list.

Wasn't it cool to dream though? When was the last time that Minnesota was even in the conversation for one of the top 5 recruits in the country? Even if we weren't the choice (or the second choice) there was some kid out there that saw the Minnesota jersey and will remember the visual.

I hope he enjoys USC. It is a quality school and he'll get a great education both on and off the field. Who knows what the future holds. If he decides that USC isn't the school for him, he won't be the first to transfer and maybe he'll come back to the U.

sounds like a show pony event...hope daddys happy. I'm sure USC's already got his check signed and a new car waiting for him.

Wasn't it cool to dream though? When was the last time that Minnesota was even in the conversation for one of the top 5 recruits in the country? Even if we weren't the choice (or the second choice) there was some kid out there that saw the Minnesota jersey and will remember the visual.

I hope he enjoys USC. It is a quality school and he'll get a great education both on and off the field. Who knows what the future holds. If he decides that USC isn't the school for him, he won't be the first to transfer and maybe he'll come back to the U.

It was cool, but last year was the last time we were in the conversation for a top 5 recruit. He chose Mizzou I believe.

BAH HUMBUG!

Even if we weren't the choice (or the second choice) there was some kid out there that saw the Minnesota jersey and will remember the visual.

The only thing a potential recruit could get out of briefly seeing the jersey, was Henderson saying nice things about the other schools and stopping at the Minnesota jersey only to say, "Uh, hometown school" before quickly picking USC.

The only thing a potential recruit could get out of briefly seeing the jersey, was Henderson saying nice things about the other schools and stopping at the Minnesota jersey only to say, "Uh, hometown school" before quickly picking USC.

Which is effectively a put-down.

Have faith man. Hang in there.

The year before I arrived at Virginia Tech they were 2-8-1 and SI ranked them around 100 of all Division 1A football schools. The program went through the same thing with a number of Virginia/Maryland/North Carolina recruits. They would make the final cut, then get dumped at the last minute for Penn State, Syracuse (ugh), Notre Dame, etc. However, the top recruits tend to come from the best high school programs and those programs have underclassmen. Those underclassmen paid attention to VT's recruiting. They noticed how the VT coaches treated the players, the coaches, and the families. Eventually VT started picking up some of those kids and that's when the program exploded.

Hopefully it was because this coaching staff wouldn't waste a REAL comp jersey on a schlocky event like that one. Reality's going to set in for Sean right about the time he plants his butt on the bleachers to start monitoring practice.

As an Iowa State fan, I can feel your (collective) pain. The number #1 recruit in the nation in basketball this year was from Ames, IA. He strung us (ISU) along during his recruitment & had the "pity" ISU hat at his table like Seantrel had a Minnesota hat. To make it even more disgusting, instead of just putting on a hat like most, he chose to Skype the coach of the team he picked. You can imagine how fun it was to see Roy William's mug pop up on the screen.

Sorry it didn't go your way guys, I was really hoping Henderson would pick Minnesota. I'm going to go & puke now. (for both of us)!

How is it a putdown? If he was from Missouri or Ohio, would the Minnesota jersey have been in that locker in the first place?

Exactly. The only reason the Gophers were considered was because of the "hometown school" angle. That is the one and only reason Brewster even got his foot in the door. If Brewster calls the #1 recruit next year he will hear a laugh on the other end and then a click. I don't understand why people don't understand this. It's nothing against Brewster or his staff. They pulled out all of the stops, yet got beat out a by a unproven coach who has been on the job for a month and runs a program that is headed for some sort of penalty. How do you think Brewster feels today? Who knows how many hours he spent on SH and Kiffen flys in and out of town at the last minute and nabs him easily and Gophers finish a distant 6th.

Ouch.

Exactly. The only reason the Gophers were considered was because of the "hometown school" angle. That is the one and only reason Brewster even got his foot in the door. If Brewster calls the #1 recruit next year he will hear a laugh on the other end and then a click. I don't understand why people don't understand this. It's nothing against Brewster or his staff. They pulled out all of the stops, yet got beat out a by a unproven coach who has been on the job for a month and runs a program that is headed for some sort of penalty. How do you think Brewster feels today? Who knows how many hours he spent on SH and Kiffen flys in and out of town at the last minute and nabs him easily and Gophers finish a distant 6th.

Ouch.

Ouch? Ya, I can feel your pain, Art. What a jerk.

It wasn't unexpected but it's doubly frustrating because somebody like this comes along so rarely in Minnesota. It would mean so much more to people who are actual fans here for that rare talent like a Henderson or a Floyd to pick the Gophers. Instead, one of the big boys cherry picks them to go along with all of the others they get. It makes you feel like they're gluttons--sort of like football Jabba the Hutts.

Top Bottom