Devoe v. Tubby

GopherJake

Reaction score
No mention on this board about the little argument between Devoe and Tubby early in the 2nd half vs. Indiana. I watched my DVR'd version of the game when I got home - you could see them having words on the sideline, if you watched closely, but the announcers made no mention.

At the 17:30 mark of the 2nd half, Indiana got a rebound and ran up the floor in seemingly innocuous fashion. However, it appeared, in hindsight, that Devoe did not properly close down on the two guys camping on the right side of the 3 point line, the ball was passed to one of them and he canned it to cut the 19 point halftime lead to 13. Then Devoe takes the inbounds up the court and misses a 3 about 6 seconds into the shot clock. Tubby summonsed the bench. Whistle. Devoe out until the 8:xx mark.

As he went to the bench, Devoe was requested by Tubby. Not so gentle words. A glare or two. Devoe seemed to be defending himself, demonstrative gestures, etc. Devoe finally retreated down onto the bench, but neither he nor Tubby was through. More jawing and gesturing from Devoe - like "I thought that's what you wanted me to do" or something like that. Lots more glaring by Tubby. Oh, and of note, Tubby moved from his stool on the sideline to confront Devoe far down the bench and now in his face. Tubby returned to his stool and it was done.

Anybody got any inside information on this? It sort of seemed to me that Tubby had made his point and everything was just sort of heat of the battle. And the fact that Devoe sat so long had more to do with the blowout and giving Allen and Cobbs a chance, more than anything. I thought Devoe played great in the first half, that's for sure.

I was wondering why he was benched in the second half. I thought he was hurt or had fouls, because he was playing great. He was getting to the bucket like nolen, BUT HE WAS actually making the LAYUP. I was confused.

No mention on this board about the little argument between Devoe and Tubby early in the 2nd half vs. Indiana. I watched my DVR'd version of the game when I got home - you could see them having words on the sideline, if you watched closely, but the announcers made no mention.

At the 17:30 mark of the 2nd half, Indiana got a rebound and ran up the floor in seemingly innocuous fashion. However, it appeared, in hindsight, that Devoe did not properly close down on the two guys camping on the right side of the 3 point line, the ball was passed to one of them and he canned it to cut the 19 point halftime lead to 13. Then Devoe takes the inbounds up the court and misses a 3 about 6 seconds into the shot clock. Tubby summonsed the bench. Whistle. Devoe out until the 8:xx mark.

As he went to the bench, Devoe was requested by Tubby. Not so gentle words. A glare or two. Devoe seemed to be defending himself, demonstrative gestures, etc. Devoe finally retreated down onto the bench, but neither he nor Tubby was through. More jawing and gesturing from Devoe - like "I thought that's what you wanted me to do" or something like that. Lots more glaring by Tubby. Oh, and of note, Tubby moved from his stool on the sideline to confront Devoe far down the bench and now in his face. Tubby returned to his stool and it was done.

Anybody got any inside information on this? It sort of seemed to me that Tubby had made his point and everything was just sort of heat of the battle. And the fact that Devoe sat so long had more to do with the blowout and giving Allen and Cobbs a chance, more than anything. I thought Devoe played great in the first half, that's for sure.

No inside info but good observations. I noticed when Tubby took him out - I didn't notice the sideline stuff. 3 ptr 6 secs into shot clock prolly not a good idea when your lead is slipping. Also prolly one of those cases when you say NO NO NO and if you don't make it you suffer the consequences - now if he makes that shot it might have been a different story. After his time thinking about that shot on the bench last night - maybe he makes it next time - or perhaps he'll wait a lil longer into the clock - and maybe close down on defense a lil better.

Tubby lamented during the postgame that he wanted us to stop rushing up the floor and jacking up quick shots and to have gotten the ball inside more. Wasn't happy about that and was letting the guys know it.

Devoe was laughing and having fun singing the rouser after the game. I wouldn't make this into more than it was. It's nothing.

cnp

Devoe was laughing and having fun singing the rouser after the game. I wouldn't make this into more than it was. It's nothing.

Agreed. Both are highly competitive people. I have always gotten the feeling Tubby really likes Devoe so it just seems like one serious teaching moment. That Devoe is assertive in response is a good thing IMO.

:cool:

Agreed. Both are highly competitive people. I have always gotten the feeling Tubby really likes Devoe so it just seems like one serious teaching moment. That Devoe is assertive in response is a good thing IMO.

:cool:

Agreed, I think Devoe at least needs to plead his case. If Devoe had gotten in Tubby's face, now that's a different story. But doesn't sound like anything other than coach getting on player; player defending himself. Good for both.

Tubby's a coaches coach. You don't get to plead your case, especially not in front of the team. Our seats are down by the bench and he got after him pretty good- yelled at him in a hushed tone. You could tell Devoe was a bit taken a back, but got over it. I think this is something that Tubby has a tough time dealing with: Players trying to tell him how to coach or question his thoughts. Same reason Westbrook is constantly in his doghouse, he doesn't just shut up and play. Now, I questions Tubby's quick trigger on any mistake a player makes, but he seems to be trying to be a little more patient. I saw a couple of times during the game where a player made a mistake, Tubby got up and looked down the bench and then backed off and kept the player in. Bottom line is that Tubby is the coach and the players are the players. I think some younger players today feel they can question authority or speak what they think. That's not going to cut it with Tubby, like it or not. Hopefully, the players he has and recruits understand and respect what his is doing. I think they truly know he wants the best for the team and cares for them off the court as well.

Thread should read Coach V Player. The example on the sideline is a healthy byproduct of the existing relationship. Its obvious that Tubby likes Devoe, otherwise Devoe wouln't be logging big minutes down the stretch.

In the first half, I thought Joseph showed the signs that he could be a big time player for us in the next two years. The drives to the bucket were very encouraging as was his play overall.

He was being coached. He might not have appreciated the stool getting moved down by him or the stares, but I imagine they got the point across. Big picture, it was likely a moment he will look back on later in life with a chuckle as he describes the persona of Coach Smith.

Joseph's weaving through traffic on his drives to the basket were nice. Similar to what I saw at Pulley last summer and thought we'd see more of this year.

True

Tubby's a coaches coach. You don't get to plead your case, especially not in front of the team. Our seats are down by the bench and he got after him pretty good- yelled at him in a hushed tone. You could tell Devoe was a bit taken a back, but got over it. I think this is something that Tubby has a tough time dealing with: Players trying to tell him how to coach or question his thoughts. Same reason Westbrook is constantly in his doghouse, he doesn't just shut up and play. Now, I questions Tubby's quick trigger on any mistake a player makes, but he seems to be trying to be a little more patient. I saw a couple of times during the game where a player made a mistake, Tubby got up and looked down the bench and then backed off and kept the player in. Bottom line is that Tubby is the coach and the players are the players. I think some younger players today feel they can question authority or speak what they think. That's not going to cut it with Tubby, like it or not. Hopefully, the players he has and recruits understand and respect what his is doing. I think they truly know he wants the best for the team and cares for them off the court as well.

You speak the truth.

You speak the truth.

These opinions are about what I expected. I do believe that Tubby was angry. But he was choosing his spot. I agree with whoever above said Tubby likes Devoe. He gives him plenty of PT, as also mentioned. He could afford to get in Devoe's face and sit him down because the game was a blowout. (Not that he's afraid to sit anyone: read LW.) But, while Devoe was jawing back and Tubby glaring, there was a point to be made - and it wasn't just to Devoe.

I think the points were:

1. Play defense or sit

2. Do what I tell you to do on offense, or sit.

I agree with both. I don't think at all that this is anything other than that. Great game!! Great coaching!

I saw a couple of times during the game where a player made a mistake, Tubby got up and looked down the bench and then backed off and kept the player in.

That sounds like Tubby being unimpressed by his bench more than being patient.

Top Bottom